Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 13
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

1. Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Well, seems like I made an assumption, like I was accusing you of doing. From your info given, I guess you ARE a BILLY-BAD-ASS! LOL!!!

And yes, I think you are right about where you are right now influencing your attitude towards things, and not giving a rip about being Politically Correct. I hate it myself. If you want to raise hell and talk like you want, have at it! You earned the right to do so! The only thing I would say, take a little time to de-compress when you get back home. The folks here don't live and work where you do, and they will not understand what you have been through. That will cause you some problems potentially. But, I'm sure you've already seen and heard that from other veterans, especially Vietnam Vets. It's not that the folks here don't pray for you everyday, they just don't understand what living on the edge 24/7, 365, is all about.

Keep your head down. We await your successful return, and applaud you for your gallant efforts in defending freedom, for us Americans, and the Iraq people that have been persecuted for so long.
    Keep a steady trigger finger, and keep arranging the meetings with Allah for the Taliban and Al Queda!
    I appreciate that. It's not really bad advice to decompress a bit, even before typing a response on here. BTW, I'm far from a billy bad ass! lol Thanks again.

3. "BTW, I'm far from a billy bad ass! lol "

In my book you are! I can't imagine doing all that you've been through.

Reference those individuals who see the GUN! as a solution to everything, reminds me of the old saying, when you have a hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail.

Hey scouse: If i am to read you right, i agree with your last reply. Personally i think that many repliers, who seem to advocate the gun as the first and primary method to deal with literally everything, are very brave sitting in their underwear at their computers, as they talk up their bravado, but will probably have to change that underwear if push came to shove--it is the nature of the anonymity of the internet. Imo,your firearm is your last resort to protect you and your family/friends from the imminent threat of death or great bodily injury--period--end of story---there is no other reason. In sc, the law, however, gives you latitude ala castle doctrine--forced entry into your home or your vehicle (if you are in it) is a reasonable assumption for the "imminent threat"--so if a perp decides to break into your home, even though he may only be carrying a flashlight, you still have sc law on your side to do whatever you feel is necessary to eliminate the assumed or perceive threat to your life. Imo, when i am behind a locked bedroom door, anyone forcing entry into that bedroom is that threat. Anyone taking things in the other rooms will be for the leo and my call to 911--those "things" are insured and i am not going to lose my life by confronting someone over "things". Ps: Just my wife and i and no one else in other areas of the house, which brings about a totally different scenario

Bravo for the older gent. He was not a pansy who was afraid to confront a thief. About the shooting: why did the thief have his hands in his pockets if there was nothing there???? The home owner had every right to expect he had a weapon there. Life over property--then you just have not had enough stuff stolen. A thief takes his life into his hands when he trespasses onto or into someone's home/belongings. One cannot assume a thief is unarmed ----but the contrary. Maybe the thief will decide that crime is not worth the risks after this. If not then maybe the next home owner will be a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Imo, when i am behind a locked bedroom door, anyone forcing entry into that bedroom is that threat. Anyone taking things in the other rooms will be for the leo and my call to 911--those "things" are insured and i am not going to lose my life by confronting someone over "things".
    I agree with your statement 100%; this is my philosophy!!!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    'Never argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level, and defeat you with experience!' --Dilbert

Hey -06: absolutely understand what you are saying and could not agree more that any thief taking my stuff or your stuff deserves what he gets. That, however, is not the way things work in this country, particularly in some more liberal areas of this country. If you think that someone roaming around outside your home and even opening an unlocked, unoccupied vehicle looking to steal your GPS is a reason to kill them, you will be in for a big surprise--you may save your GPS and have some satisfaction but you may also be going to jail and you may also be losing your house, your car AND your GPS in a civil lawsuit. I live in SC and do not know for a certainty the entire story of the old man, but he did not even call 911 before he went outside to confront the kid. I understand your comments but I am sorry, I do not understand the fact that the old man was "let off the hook" so to speak, at least based on the story I understand this to be. I would hope there is more to this story of the old man and the kid, but I can tell you if you decide to shoot someone outside your home, who may be unarmed and who is wandering around looking for your lawnmower or your fancy lawn furniture, or even entering your unlocked and unoccupied vehicle, in my book you are in a heap of trouble, as much as I sympathize with your feelings. The firearm is to protect you from the imminent threat of death or great bodly injury and someone outside your home is not that, particularly if he is unarmed; just because you think he is armed--well hope you have a good lawyer. Let me stress I agree with your comments and will smile if some of these perps get what they deserve--just sayin it is not the law and it may sound good on this forum but that is about all it is good for and if you die in the process, I hope you go to heaven knowing you saved your lawnmower and not your life.

Sounds to me like the Perp. can now file a lawsuit, against Ol' man Charlie, get to take his truck, & house after all. These are the kind of cases prosecutors eat for lunch people! There was no danger to the old guy’s life from the details above. yeah I agree with dwindling the amount of criminals we have, and I agree with protecting ones property, but the fat reality is he "Used a Gun" and not for self defense but for truck defense?, that leaves an open door for prosecutors.. Charges by local authorities were not filed, yeah but that’s not an out of the water situation for the old man, to me he still has some deep water to tread before this is all over he will likely get sued.

I had a similar experience a few yrs back. The young man later said he had a lighter in his hand but all I saw was a glint of moonlight off it. I dropped to one knee and ordered him to freeze. About that time my neighbor tackled him and probably saved his life. Had he moved I assuredly would have fired. He got away right then so I never knew if it was a lighter or pistol. I knew the perp and knew he had shot at his grandfather. He "went for bad" and it nearly cost him his life.
    If my dogs bark in that "alarmed" way I often slip out the back(or front) to see what is going on. I do not call 911 every time the dog gets excited nor do I if I think there is someone outside. Hopefully I never will have to shoot anyone but if he has his hands in his pocket then I will assume he is armed and dangerous. He is dangerous to begin with or he would not be a thief. A good friend was killed about 7 yrs ago in his back yard garden. He trusted folks and let them get close. A childhood buddy was killed in his front yard under his car--he let someone get too close and trusted that they meant no harm.
    I may get sued or have to go through legal perils but had rather do that than be "pushing up daisies". I have heard that some LEOs carry a throw down untracable incase they make a bad shoot. Not a bad idea.

hey -06: I truly wish you well and I truly understand where you are coming from but you just seem to be have seen what I have written without really reading it. You are not in any danger before you go outside and confront someone--someone who may not even be a threat (no firearm just the cellphone or lighter) who you may end up killing (as you nearly did), or someone who is bigger and badder than you with bigger and badder firearms (and possible friends) that could very well end up with you "pushing daisies". You may be very good with your firearm etc but it is for defense of life, not stuff---and believe me when I say I fully understand what you mean in your replies--I guess we will agree to disagree. Hope you never have another confrontation--peace brother.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast