Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 15
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

Hey flat: I agree 100% with your comment. Unfortunately, although I think you are right in your thinking, this is not the wild west anymore and different states have very different standards on your defensive conduct. If it is NOT an issue of protecting oneself and family from imminent death or great bodily injury, and that does not include stopping someone from stealing your lawnmower from your front lawn, you may very well pay a steep price for feeling better about stopping the perp from taking your possessions. Sounds good when you write on this forum but does not sound so good when you explain this to the police or a prosecutor or a jury (civil or criminal). The closest you can come to your thinking is if the perp breaks into your home or occupied vehicle--in SC the castle doctine defines such breakins as a reasonable assumption of the imminent threat and, as such, you can use deadly force to mitigate the threat. Bottom line: "stuff" just does not count--only you and your family and others in similar circumstance (alter ego standard in SC law).

3. Stuff, Stuff. Hhhhhhhuuuuummmmm, what is stuff? A rock in your yard, a rose flower from the rose bush in your yard, the motor from your truck, the front porch from your house, your etc. etc. Wasp Spray is better than hot lead isn't it? A thief is nothing, but a thief no matter what he steals. A rose is a rose by any other name is still a rose!!!

Hey rsdonb: Why waste space with sarcastic nonsense? You know what I mean when I say "stuff" and wasp spray, unless you know something you want to share with us, may be worse than hot lead. Hot lead, as you so eloquently say, may wound your perp, while wasp spray may blind him. If you are wrong in both instances, where your state very important before you do either) finds that you had no business shooting or spraying your perp, you go to jail and in the blinding with spray, you spend the rest of your life (and fortune) supporting the turd. All I am saying is I agree with all of you--in my world and most of yours if someone wants to take from me and I do not want him to, I really do not care if I remove him from the scene--permanently--this is all about the law and how it can affect you if you are too "macho" and do not understand its consequences. Easy for some of you to" hot lead" the perp's behind when you are sitting at your computer---try it in real life when you should not have and tell me how you feel then when you are in jail and penniless. What is it that you do not understand about your legal and lawful responsibilities once you own a firearm or even wasp spray.

5. I was not trying to be sarcastic, many years ago a snot nosed thief stole something very sacred from my family, and the sheriff said "sorry about that but there is nothing I can or will do about it". I am just saying if your hands are tied like it appears they are in SC then change the law. Like it or not thieves will go on being thieves unless we stop them. There is a lot of money to be made in protecting them from people who feel they have had enough. The Government can neither give nor take away your right "RIGHT" to protect your person and property unless you let them... Macho? maybe so. Have a good day.....

Hey rsdonb: Sorry for assuming the wrong thing but I did feel that my comments were clear and unmistakeable. Anyhow, I apologize. You mention something very sacred to the family. If that item was in your house, as I have said in my previous comments, all bets are off on what you can do as far as SC law is concerned. If it was in your house, it is a forced entry and SC law gives you the presumption of imminent fear of death or great bodily injury and you have the lawful right to protect yourself and others with deadly force. I can tell you for certain that if someone enters my home without my permission, particularly in the middle of the night, I may not confront them everywhere in the house (stuff can be valuable but it is not worth my life if he is better than me with his firearm) but if he decides to come into my bedroom, he will be leaving in a very different position then when he entered; I have my plan, I have my shotgun, I have an advantage and I will use it to the fullest. Sorry you lost something, as you say, "sacred".

7. Quote Originally Posted by rsdonb View Post
    I was not trying to be sarcastic, many years ago a snot nosed thief stole something very sacred from my family, and the sheriff said "sorry about that but there is nothing I can or will do about it". I am just saying if your hands are tied like it appears they are in SC then change the law. Like it or not thieves will go on being thieves unless we stop them. There is a lot of money to be made in protecting them from people who feel they have had enough. The Government can neither give nor take away your right "RIGHT" to protect your person and property unless you let them... Macho? maybe so. Have a good day.....
    Hey RSDONB:

The sheriff deputy was being lazy. he shouldn't be in law enforcement. You should never tell a citizen that has been the victim of crime that there isn't anything the law can do about it. That's is why we have the police..to stop crimes, and to solve them, or at least ATTEMPT to solve them.

I agree with you on this one. If it is a sacred article of family value that would be worth not much to anyone else but your family, I agree that you should protect it. And yes, that includes shooting someone for it, if you told them that before you shot them. Warn them first, and if they persist in trying to still take it, pull the trigger on the slime.

Now, after the deputy told me there was nothing he/she could do it about, and they survived the verbal abuse that I would have heaped on them, I would write a letter to the Sheriff of the County and tell them that there would no longer be a need to dispatch anyone to my house, for I would protect my house myself, since the Sheriff's deputies had told me "there was nothing they could do" about the crime that had happened at my house. And not only will I not need their help AT MY HOUSE, I will not need their help AWAY from my house, where I go to apprehend the crook that stole from me. Again, I do this because I was told there was "nothing your deputy could do about it".

I would sign the letter:

Keeping my house, family, and belongings safe from crime,

John "Doing something about it" Citizen

[QUOTE=GOV5;154133]Hey RSDONB:
    I agree with you on this one. If it is a sacred article of family value that would be worth not much to anyone else but your family, I agree that you should protect it. And yes, that includes shooting someone for it, if you told them that before you shot them. Warn them first, and if they persist in trying to still take it, pull the trigger on the slime.

Hence the whole point of this thread, IMHO. Where do YOU draw the line on "STUFF". Of coarse I would not shoot someone for stealing a blade of grass from my front lawn nor would I even contemplate such action. I am no vigilante. BUT I would detain an individual that was caught in the act until authorities arrived. During the time the individual is being lawfully detained that person(s) decide to not follow my commands and present themselves in an aggressive manner, then I will act accordingly. The perps have had two choices:
    1.) Made a conscience decision to violate my property
    2.) Made a conscience decision to not obey my orders/direction.

Will they live to make another choice in the future? Again it's up to them not me.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Hey Y'all and recent repliers: Let me say once again that I absolutely agree with everything you have said. I only wish that the law was clear that if someone steals from you, all bets are off on what you can do to stop them. In SC, as mentioned, if the robbery is taking place in your home you have every right to do whatever is necessary--and I mean whatever--from detaining to lethal force based on the presumption of imminent threat to life or bodily injury. Mappow makes the statement "where do you draw the line on stuff"---according to the law, there is no line on "stuff" unless, as I just said, it is in your home. If you want to confront someone (particularly outside your home) with your firearm and use your weapon at some point you are risking an awful lot (that could include conviction, jail time, civil penalities, lawyer fees, and EVEN YOUR LIFE) over whatever the stuff is. In the case that this is all about, the old man did exactly what all of you wanted him to do and apparently what the prosecutor wanted him to do (no indictment) and did it without even calling 911 before he went outside to confront the young slimeball---sorry guys--I have a tough time understanding the old man's actions unless there are some other facts that I am not aware of in this case. Lets hope all of us can just talk this talk and never have to walk this walk. Peace guys

10. This is when I was young and dumb, now I am old and mean, I will use about anything to stop a BG. Sorry about being cranky. Have a good Day.....

In SC you are protected against civil suites. You cannot shot someone for stealing from your car but at any time if you fill your life is in danger you can shoot. The old man (probably younger than me) felt his life was in danger. In my case I live approx 150yds from my tool stowage bldgs, if I thought someone was in one of them stealing my Engine Lathe or other tools, I would not call 911 first, I'd grab my Mossberg 500 and go check things out. If needed I have my SP101 or my shotgun. The Police would be called as soon as possible but probably after the fact.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast