Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 16
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

Hey oldbanjo: First off, I fully understand where you are coming from and have no sympathy for anyone who steals from others. Having said that, I do not understand why a 911 call first off does not at least set the tone for a responsible reaction by you. I'm glad you will be armed per your reply but the perp may be better armed and better at this game than you---if you are wrong, your precious tools will be stolen over your dead body--that sure did you a lot of good. If he is unarmed and you shoot him, you had better hope I am not on your jury if it comes to that be it criminal or civil (the law may say something about civil trials but you can still be sued and if he was unarmed--well there is room there for argument). You were not in "imminent or the presumption of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury and you chose to go look for it; again, I have no sympathy for the perp and understand your thought process but killing someone over your stuff, particularly if you do not think 911 is called for and they are unarmed, may pass in SC (it did in the case of this thread) but then again it might not. Just sayin my thoughts on your reply and can accept your actions but I respectfully disagree; I am also sure I am in the minority on this forum.PS: I believe the key in entering your car or your home is that you are in the car or in your home--then you have the legal presumption of imminent danger to life or injury.

3. [quote=mappow;154136]
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Hey RSDONB:
    I agree with you on this one. If it is a sacred article of family value that would be worth not much to anyone else but your family, I agree that you should protect it. And yes, that includes shooting someone for it, if you told them that before you shot them. Warn them first, and if they persist in trying to still take it, pull the trigger on the slime.

Hence the whole point of this thread, IMHO. Where do YOU draw the line on "STUFF". Of coarse I would not shoot someone for stealing a blade of grass from my front lawn nor would I even contemplate such action. I am no vigilante. BUT I would detain an individual that was caught in the act until authorities arrived. During the time the individual is being lawfully detained that person(s) decide to not follow my commands and present themselves in an aggressive manner, then I will act accordingly. The perps have had two choices:
    1.) Made a conscience decision to violate my property
    2.) Made a conscience decision to not obey my orders/direction.

Will they live to make another choice in the future? Again it's up to them not me.
    What if they just run away, maybe with something of yours under their arm? Would you shoot them for staying staying put while the police are on the way? Just asking, I'm curious? There is a lot of discussion about this, pro & con.

Calling 911

This was almost a grave mistake . We must be careful not to look like we have killing as our first choice . 911 is not our great protecter though , the police can't stop most crime . They can't !! We have to know the difference between a RIGHT and our RESPONSIBLITY as AMERICANS . Just dial 911 , protect your family , protect your personal safety ; let the ''cops'' handle the scraps . Life should still be more important than stuff . I mean the older man's life not the Bad Guy . So glad the good guy is safe !!!!! Bottom line , it's our sole responsibly for our protection not the police . ( see KATRINA in New Orleans) Police took(confuscated) guns? Good guys were left to burn !!!! Is that protection ???? 2nd Amendent is our only true protection !!!!!!

Let em' run !!!! Use common sense on your stuff . If they in your house ''shoot'' , if outside let them run . Dial 911 , stand between your family and the BG holding your gun ready !!!!!!!!!!!!! That we need to keep dirtbags from stealing our stuff will forever piss me off . Just get jobs , buy your own crap , leave mine alone!! YES, alot of us good guys are armed !

Hey Gov5: You are going to confront some obvious perp and then "detain" him. What if he is better armed and much better at defending himself than you are at "detaining him". You stuff is gone and you are dead. I truly understand your point of view and would like nothing better than going to my window, aiming a rifle, and shooting him in the head or using your technique of going outside and "detaining" him, but I'm sorry, as much as I will miss my stuff (and odds are I will see it again--these are not the brightest bulbs in the world) I have insurance and I will still have my life.

Hence the whole point of this thread, IMHO. Where do YOU draw the line on "STUFF". Of coarse I would not shoot someone for stealing a blade of grass from my front lawn nor would I even contemplate such action. I am no vigilante. BUT I would detain an individual that was caught in the act until authorities arrived. During the time the individual is being lawfully detained that person(s) decide to not follow my commands and present themselves in an aggressive manner, then I will act accordingly. The perps have had two choices:
    1.) Made a conscience decision to violate my property
    2.) Made a conscience decision to not obey my orders/direction.

Will they live to make another choice in the future? Again it's up to them not me.

I can't put it any clearer than that.WE all have decisions.............Per my post above
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Hey mappow: You are exactly right on your comments--we all "gotta do what we gotta do". Just be very careful and in the heat of the moment many of us do not come close to the kind of training that will allow us to act and react correctly leaving us open to at best criminal/legal consequences for acting wrong and death if we really make some fatal mistakes. Hopefully all we get to do is argue and talk about these things on this forum and never have to actually play a role in any of this kind of thing. I wish all of us a safe life and only have to talk the talk and discharge our firearms at a shooting range.

You got it KEL but plan for the worse , hope for the best. May the Good Lord never put this in front of us. But if it is to happen, be prepared.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Super T View Post
    This was almost a grave mistake . We must be careful not to look like we have killing as our first choice . 911 is not our great protecter though , the police can't stop most crime . They can't !! We have to know the difference between a RIGHT and our RESPONSIBLITY as AMERICANS . Just dial 911 , protect your family , protect your personal safety ; let the ''cops'' handle the scraps . Life should still be more important than stuff . I mean the older man's life not the Bad Guy . So glad the good guy is safe !!!!! Bottom line , it's our sole responsibly for our protection not the police . ( see KATRINA in New Orleans) Police took(confuscated) guns? Good guys were left to burn !!!! Is that protection ???? 2nd Amendent is our only true protection !!!!!!

Heck, Police took the guns during the aftermath of Katrina because it was the Police that were looting too! They didn't want an armed citizen to shoot THEM for looting!

Hey mappow: Your reply includes the words "be prepared". Look I am a big guy, I know how to use my firearms, and I talk a good story sitting at my computer or with friends. I prepare for point/shoot accuracy and usually go with friends about twice a month to a local gun range. Am I prepared to go outside and confront some guy rummaging around when I am not in control of a blessed thing, including my LEGAL right to shoot someone--when I look in a mirror my answer is no. My answer is to call 911, keep my insurance paid up and if the perp decides to come into my home, I will definitely act. Having said that, if I am awakened in my locked bedroom (only my wife and I and no children or others in any other part of house), I will call 911, I will activate the car alarm, I will institute my plans for protecting my wife and I IN OUR BEDROOM, but I will NOT confront someone in the other rooms. Like I said before, my insurance is paid up, it is just stuff, no one else is in imminent danger, and even though in SC I have every right to do whatever to the perp who broke into my home, I am not risking my life against someone who may be a lot better prepared than me. If he forces the bedroom door, I guarantee you he will not leave the way he came in and my insurance will have to cover damage done by a 12g pump. Just me sayin and I have the utmost respect for different opinions--I, however, find any kind of confrontation, when I am not in IMMINENT DANGER, to be unwise and not worth my life.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast