Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 17
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

1. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Gov5: You are going to confront some obvious perp and then "detain" him. What if he is better armed and much better at defending himself than you are at "detaining him". You stuff is gone and you are dead. I truly understand your point of view and would like nothing better than going to my window, aiming a rifle, and shooting him in the head or using your technique of going outside and "detaining" him, but I'm sorry, as much as I will miss my stuff (and odds are I will see it again--these are not the brightest bulbs in the world) I have insurance and I will still have my life.
    Kelcarry, you and I are on the same page about most of this discussion. The situation will be different every time, but most times I will at least go out and see what is going on. I am not afraid of confrontation. I'm not saying that I am fearless...I'm just use caution. But I am not going to just stay in the house and let them make off with my "stuff" without any confrontation. I hate all the paperwork involved with filing an insurance claim. LOL!

If there are two or more, I won't confront them, and will dial 911. But I will hasten to add in the 911 call that while I think they are three in number, there may be more or less, and the cops may find "more or less" when they arrive. So they better hurry! Shooting someone, and killing them, are two different things.

What you got to remember about dialing 911 is that you don't always have time to do that. You might get a little "busy" when you find out that someone is trying to steal your "stuff". If someone is on my property and making an attempt to steal, why am I supposed to think that I don't have reasonable suspicion that they are not going to stop with my car, or whatever, and enter my house? Well, the answer is: I don't!

I'm not trying to convince anybody one way or the other. Each can do what he/she feels is right or comfortable. And "YES", I will attempt to detain someone. It really isn't that hard. When you are holding a the barrell of a gun on someone, if they try to run, they are an idiot. If they try to run thinking that I won't shoot, they are making a bet. Gambling can be hazardous to your health.

Confronting folks is a dangerous situation. Your adrenalin is high and you may or may not react favorably. I nearly shot an unarmed man when he was walking beside the road. I had just gotten back from the sheriff's and spotted the perp. I threw down on him and may have shot him had he given me any grief. I did legally wrong as I forced him into the car, to his house, and recovered my guns and some cash. Do not assume that you can control your temper--you may be very wrong.

Calling 911 may make sense if you live in the city, I live in the country on a dirt road approx 4 miles long, with maybe 6 people on it. I saw a truck go between my work buildings one day. I jumped on my Motor Scooter and ran over and asked what they were doing. They were getting ready to load my girlfriends car on a trailer. I asked who sent you, they told me who and I said you're at the wrong house. I could have called 911 but that would have been stupid. I sent them to the right house, I shot NO ONE, but my hand was on my gun the whole time. What happened in N O was real bad and could have been a lot worse. People could have been killed for their food. Without a gun it was a very dangerous place to be.

Hey oldbanjo: I guess when you are living on the "frontiier" or out in the country where LEOs are far and few between, I can understand having to be proactive on almost everything. Being a city boy and now living in a town where LEOs and police dept are very proactive, I can rely on them as part of an equation to ensure my safety and the security of my valuables when my presumption of imminent danger is not direct and we are only talking about "stuff". Let me reiterate---I would love nothing better than to hurt someone real bad if they decide to interfere in my life and take anything from me but I try my darndest to curb my anger and disgust and have promised myself that my firearms and CCW are only for imminent danger of death or great bodily injury and nothing else, and I will not go out of my way to put myself in that position for any reason other than to assist my family and friends or even someone else--- god forbid it appears that they may be in danger of losing their life or facing grave bodily injury.

6. This guy is on shaky ground since the kid did not have a weapon -the guy does not have to punish failure to heed instruction with death - unless the kid comes at him or shows some weapon.

He got off because hes an old man. A woman would also be more likely to get away with it.

A young man - especially if he is bigger than the kids would have faced a lot more scrutiny since the kid - unarmed would not be an obvious lethal threat to a young guy - especially if the guy holding the gun is bigger and looks like he could have beat the kid up anyway. a prosecutor or jury might feeel that he gun was not needed and therefore excessive

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    A 19 year old was "rummaging" around a pickup truck in someone's yard in the middle of the night with the apparent iintention to find some treasure, if not the truck itself. The older gentleman in the home heard noises, grabbed his gun and before calling 911, went outside to confront the 19 year old. He ordered him to turn around and face him and told him to take his hands out of his pockets as he stood there. The 19 year old hesitated and then took one hand out and started to take the other hand out, at which point the old man fired and hit the 19 year old twice--serious injuries but not life threatening; the old man THEN called 911. The solicitor refused to indict and no further legal action has or was taken concerning the old man's actions. In my heart I immensely enjoy everything the old man did. In my mind, however, I find this case a bit troubling. I understand "castle doctrine" etc, but no 911, the seemingly cavalier attitude of priority of property over life, and a confrontation first by the old man who truly initiated his apparent "imminent dange". Any comments?
    Dear Allah.. please save us from your followers

Hey Smokey: Could not agree with you more. I just cannot understand how you can look the other way on a shooting like the one described by me in the initiation of this thread. The old guy did not even bother to call 911--then again this is South Carolina--nough said. Many argue that their stuff was accumulated by hard work etc etc and they will be damned if someone is going to take it away----the law is clear--imminent danger of death or great bodily injury--says nothing about stuff and says nothing about instigating the confrontation because of stuff unless it involves a forcible entry into your home--not just onto your property. Make no mistake about it--as far as I am concerned if you try to steal my stuff I would like nothing better than to "prevent" you from doing so now or ever again--but I also believe having a firearm comes with responsibility to obey the laws that go with it and not interpret them as you see fit. You do not like the way the law is written than get on your horsey and try to change the law but for you to interpret as you see fit is asking for trouble. I guess the next step for some involves not liking the way your neighbor takes out his trash or not liking someone who says something to you or wife as they walk by you---just interpret the law your way, pull out the old 45, and bang away.

8. Tough times

I think tough times changes peoples way of thinking. The people that don't have anything think people that have something should share. If there lazy its one thing, they are takeing the easy way out. I don't know I would shoot someone if they were hungry. But how do you know?

I've had a gun on me or real close sense the mid 60's, I have yet, had to shoot anyone. A CWP just makes it legal to carry. For me nothing else has changed. I have always lived in the country areas, near woods and have always had my own shooting range. In another City I had all wiring stolen out of a Double Wide and Garage, two farm tractors, boat motor and every thing stole. The Law did nothing, even with pictures and a witness, Cost me 50 or 60 thousand dollars. If I had been there someone would be dead. It won't happen here you can bet your life on that.

Hey oldbanjo: That is why you get insurance. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than the defense attorney, the civil judgement taking the rest of your assets, and the years in jail that you may very well be spending knowiing that at least the slime did not get your stuff. Sounds like a great tradeoff. When you were in nowhereland you may have gotten away with this but if you do not live there anymore, witnesses and more LEOs will find out the truth, which may not come out well for you. All I know is I pay my insurance, will eventually get a check and have a nice day. I absolutely understand how you feel and would like nothing better than to make sure a thief never robs again but it just is not worth it IMO. Now if he forcibly enters my house--we are in total agreement in South Carolina-----and legal.

It is very difficult to put myself in the shoes of the Older Gent with his truck! ( I am 75, sat here on my Lap Top at 3-36 AM!) as I have nothing outside of my 3 walls, for anything to take. I am the end unit of 4 town houses, my Garage houses my Jeep, indoors.

I am sat here in my heavy duty (as my wife calls my winter dressing gown) upstairs, all doors locked, but not a difficult house to break in. The 9mm Glock 19 is sitting in said dressing gown pocket, if in bed, next to me on bedside hutch, if up, on me.

If in a rural setting, and having observed a person messing around an outside vehicle, owned by yours truly?

My next move would be too exit by a side entrance, lock door behind me, Glock in one hand, flash light in the other, electronic ear muffs on my head. These handy gadgets enhance sound, and shut down on the firing of shot(s) at this time no real plan would be in my mind, except for checking who is out side, very slow, and careful .

Having dealt with teens all my life, including two of my own, I would deal with this one, if he turned out to be a single one. Hard to be much of a threat, hit in the eyes with my big flash light. Held way out to my left.

As we say in Liverpool, I would be dealing from a "Position of Strength" any further action on my part would depend of the actions of my youthful chancer!

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast