Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 19
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

There is no law that says you have to call 911! Calling 911 just helps your case in the event of a shooting.

If bg does not leave or comply, with you pointing a gun at him, that is enough to convince me that he is a threat.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Hey ed: Pardon me for getting a bit angry but don't you think that basic common sense would have you think about calling 911 before you go outside, confront someone, and maybe shoot them or kill them? Of course it is not the law to have to call 911 or anyone, but I guess your answer to my question is a big fat no and all I can do is disagree with you, shake my head, and end this with a "have a nice day"---I surely wish you well and hope your words never have to come to fruition in actions. If you live in a remote area I can understand but even then the phone call gives you a moment to get your head in order before you lead Pickett's charge to immortality, especially if the perp or perps are better at this than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    ... gives you a moment to get your head in order before you lead Pickett's charge to immortality, especially if the perp or perps are better at this than you are.
    Based purely on the apparent disposition of some members here with the "shoot first, ask questions later mindset," it would seem perfectly reasonable for me to believe this would in fact be the case in most instances.

Maybe better to just let the Darwin awards nominees get their bids in.

I didn't say you shouldn't call, I said you don't have to.

How long is it going to take for the police to arrive? 10min.,20min. 0r an hour?

If your going to protect your property, your going to have to cofront him, or just sit at your window and let the bg do what ever he wants and hope the police can find enough evidence to firgure out who he is.

Anybody that does not comply when a gun is pointed at them is up to something and that something is not going to be good.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Seems that there are two sides:
    Shoot over "stuff" and don't shoot over stuff.
    Shoot to defend life and limb seems to be in agreement.
    In my home, a hail of 40SW will greet an intruder, outside over "stuff", don't know. If I go out it will be with Mr sig.
    Just my 2c,

Blog Entries
    I seriously doubt anyone is really going to call 911 just because they heard a noise outside, without investigating first.

Call and tell 'em what? "I heard a noise outside!"? Not very likely.

Just sayin'
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Hey kerb: We are not talking about a tree limb moving or a bush brushing against the house when we say "noise" and IMO you are wrong when you pooh pooh the idea of calling 911. At least where I live, the LEOs encourage you to call them literally on anything, and I cannot remember the number of times I have talked with the Chief and he reiterates this comment over and over again. That is what they are there for--I guess you will do what you have to and I will do what I consider the correct thing to do.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I wouldn't have called 911. If I hear something outside I'm going to investigate it first. If I have to wait on a deputy to come out the BG will load up half of my property and leave. In SC there is no requirement to call 911 and our Castle Doctrine allows for protection of property. If I don't know who they are and they are going through my stuff and they fail to comply with my demands they probably will get shot. I'm not going to wait around to see what they are going to do. If someone wants to steal from me they will suffer legal consequences. There are too many cases since SC passing the Castle Doctrine to support his actions. That's why no charges were filed. All I can say is; BG's if you are going to rob and steal in SC be warned...the person you accost may be armed and has the legal right to blow you away!

Not sure what loredec has to say since he had no reply but I did read his highlight of Red Hat. Red Hat tells me that if the perp does not obey he will be shot. He also tells me that SC law will allow the perp to be shot if he is committing an illegal act on his property. The one thing he left out of his comments is the fact that it is as easy for the perp to be shot as it is for Red Hat to be shot and killed, if he is up against someone or several people who are better at this than him and better armed than him--and his death is all about "stuff". I understand where many are coming from and we can all agree to disagree on this point--my "stuff" is insured and replaceable--I am not. Now if they decide they want the "stuff" in my locked bedroom where my wife and I are (no children in other parts of house), all bets are off--now it gets "in my face and personal" and my "presumption of imminent death or great bodily injury" is acute and very real. I know where I am and they do not and they will learn a terrible lesson about breaking the law in SC, when it comes to Castle Doctrine. We have gone around on this before, so I want to emphasize --you do what you gotta do and I will do what I gotta do. I understand your point of view--just disagree on the importance of stuff--and I understand "my limitations" as Dirty Harry would say.

I get this conversation going each class on purpose. Having already discussed the law for a "clean" Self Defense shooting. Before we get started, I give them a copy of the S.C. Protection of Persons and Property Act (Castle Doctrine) and ask that they read it for themselves. Then I ask that they highlight parts of the law such as, intruder, attacker, where you have a right to be, etc....
    I then manufacture a "scenario" such as this original thread, and ask what actions that they would take IF it happened to them. Once they decide upon a course of action, I require them to "justify" their actions with the authority of the Castle Doctrine before them. I will state that it is ALWAYS a good idea to call 911 and inform them with as much information as possible such as number of persons, description, weapons observed etc....THEN GET OFF of the telephone! DO NOT stay on the line with the 911 operator as they normally request....you are going to NEED all of your attention paid to the situation at hand!
    As you might imagine we have thoughts from a 30-06 with a night vision device from a bedroom window, to a "Dirty Harry" approach in the yard.
    Without boring you, the bottom line is ONLY the homeowner or Self Defense shooter will be on the witness stand justifing his/her actions and "in my humble opinion", to use deadly force and take a human (or maybe not) life protecting your "property" will be very difficult to justify in court. I do believe we should be thankful we live in a State that supports our rights in this matter.
    Be Safe,
    Jim
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast