Another SC Home Defense Shooting - Page 3
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Another SC Home Defense Shooting

Regardless of how we look at it, because of this homeowner's actions, it is quite unlikely that this young punk will burglarize anyone else's property ever again. Isn't that one of the reasons we on this site advocate that more law abiding citizens like the elderly homeowner own guns? To make the jobs of burglars like this guy more dangerous? Furthermore, if the guy was slow to take his hands out of his pockets, are you saying that he should have waited to see if what he pulled out was a gun or not? I'm glad I wasn't in that position, but personally, I wouldn't have waited to see.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Hey tattedupboy: First off, let me say that I am glad that the old guy was able to "teach" the young perp a lesson. Having said that, FOR ME, "stuff" is not worth my life or even that of the perp, IF HE IS NOT THREATENING MY LIFE. The old guy did not call 911 but went outside and then, after shooting the young perp, called 911; I have a problem with that even though I support his actions for feeling that he had to protect his property under South Carolina law. The old guy put himself in danger of being killed over "stuff", if the young perp had been more aggressive, and was really on the cusp of being in big time trouble even though "stuff" is good enough in SC; it wasn't however "imminent danger" until the old guy put himself in that position. We can discuss all day and as I said in previous threads--my comments are not meant as being critical of others it is what I WOULD DO OVER STUFF---call 911, get ready to summarize my stuff losses, find the phone number of the insurance company and go from there. If the perp decides that my house has more stuff or if I was in the car or truck at the time or was outside near the truck at the time I would be afraid and truly think I was in mortal danger and I would do exactly what the old guy did but if I am in my house and someone is roaming around outside I would turn lights on, I would call 911, I would yell out, I would activate autoalarm on car or truck but I would not be so inclined to get my gun and go out in the middle of the night to confront some idiot perp who may be high on something, or armed to the teeth, or willing to just shoot on sight over 'stuff".

Kelcarry,

With you all the way on this. There's "stuff" and then there's "life". No comparison.

According to the previous posts, symtron quoted SC laws and regs; in one paragraph he quotes that homeowner can use deadly force if he believes an intruder intends to commit a felony yet in the next paragraph he quotes that deadly force may not be valid for defense of property alone. If I understand english, a felony can consist of a burglary and in the course of this burglary, I would expect a homeowner like myself to be quite frightened and in fear of whoever this person is and what he plans on doing next---I assume the above quotes are moving from the second quote where I cannot use deadly force to the first quote that I can use deadly force. Bottom line for me is that if a perp is wandering around in my house or my car and has no business being there in the middle of the night, I AM CONCERNED FOR MY WELL BEING AND THAT OF MY FAMILY--this is not about property almost from the getgo and is about my belief that this perp is not only committing a felony but in doing so he is endangering my family and me and will be dealt with appropriately ACCORDING TO THE LAW ON DEADLY FORCE. Am I wrong? Isn't this castle doctrine in SC?

only such force must be used as is necessary, or apparently necessary, to a reasonably prudent man.
    Take a very close look at that statement. In SC if there is an intruder in your house you have reasonable fear that he is there to harm you. This may not include your drunk brother-in-law that stumbled in even if you want it to but the key is reaonable. If someone is walking across your yard or even just stnading on your front porch they are not open season but if they are in your living room then just be sure it isn't your BIL.

7. I wouldn't call 911 if, for all I know, I'm just gonna find a raccoon or kids with toilet paper. Most likely a raccoon causing trouble where I'm at. In Florida, we can protect our property too, as God and our Constitution intended.
    I wasn't there - I don't know what happened or how. I'm going to give the homeowner the benefit of the doubt, because:
    a) it's his property, his stuff, b) the other guy was an uninvited trespasser, in the process of looting.
    Homeowner shoots a criminal in the act on his property - BRAVO!

Did I missed something? -- I reckoned that the old man asked the 19-year-old to turn around because it will look worst if he just shot someone from behind. THEN he called 911 because there is body there that needed cleaning up and out of his driveway.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Hey FN1910: There is one difficulty with "reasonably prudent". When someone is on your property in the middle of the night poking around where they should not be and carrying who knows what in their pocket, and you are just a poor schmoe who has never had to face any sort of "intrusion" in your life, whether it is right outside your home or in your home, "reasonably prudent", once my heartbeat is at 130 beats and I am holding back my bladder, is very difficult to define. Outside my home is a bit easier but if outside my home means on my porch right by a door or window, it is getting a heck of a lot closer to "reasonably prudent"--certainly in the house I do not think any of us have a problem with the definition.
    Hey Tucker's Mom: Are you really Tucker's Mom?

chalk one up for the good guys on this one. First we don't have the whole story so we can't arm chair quarterback this one with a bunch of what ifs. Second IMHO if you want to take any of my hard earned stuff and I come across you in the process you will either listen and get taken away in cuff or not listen and get taken away in an ambulance period. It's about time the laws of this country are going back to the side of good. I don't care what the BG's story is, if he didn't want to get shot he should stay out of other peoples stuff. And I totally agree with the not calling 911 at every sound you hear they'd be in our neighborhood every night all night long with the wildlife we have hear. As for the use of deadly force, when we went over the ROE in Afghanistan over the use of it, it comes down to if you have time to think about it it probably wasn't authorized so if he thought the punk was going to pull a weapon of some sorts then it was authorized.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry
    ....Hey Tucker's Mom: Are you really Tucker's Mom?
    Yup! And btw, I like the way you think...you have good answers that, if I remember when a thing like that might be happening with our truck (outside the driveway too), might save my life one day...but then, if I see someone going through our truck, I just hope I don't wet my pants first...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast