New to FL and can't find an answer

Thread: New to FL and can't find an answer

Smile New to FL and can't find an answer

I moved here from Ohio recently and I've searched everywhere (here and in Florida statutes, etc.) to find an answer to a couple questions. I'm hoping someone can help. If these questions have already been addressed here in the forums and I just missed it, I apologize.

I have my Ohio CCW license and am in the process of applying for my Florida license (already have the new app package).

Vehicle carry: I've read the "securely encased" rules as far as having my weapon in a glove box, console, etc. Do I understand correctly that while driving I can have it on my person, in a holster, as long as it's concealed?

What about in my zipped up purse on the seat beside me?

Does the holster have to have a thumb break?? I believe the statute uses the word "snapped" in a holster...

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    NRA, GOA, USCCA, OFCC, BFA, USA Carry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by .38 girl View Post
    I moved here from Ohio recently and I've searched everywhere (here and in Florida statutes, etc.) to find an answer to a couple questions. I'm hoping someone can help. If these questions have already been addressed here in the forums and I just missed it, I apologize.

I have my Ohio CCW license and am in the process of applying for my Florida license (already have the new app package).

Vehicle carry: I've read the "securely encased" rules as far as having my weapon in a glove box, console, etc. Do I understand correctly that while driving I can have it on my person, in a holster, as long as it's concealed?
    Only IF you have a VALID CCW Permit, but then yes.

What about in my zipped up purse on the seat beside me? A purse is "Securely Encased" So, YES

Does the holster have to have a thumb break?? I believe the statute uses the word "snapped" in a holsterIF in a holster, then yes, it has to have a flap or a thumb break, this is what makes it "Securely Encased...

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    See answers above in RED,
    Since you are NEW to Florida, I would highly recommend that you stop in pretty much any gun store and pick up a copy of the book "Florida Firearms law, Use & Ownership by Job H. Gutmacher, esq
    He is a lawyer that literally wrote the book on Florida gun laws.. He updates the book yearly
    He also has a website that you can send him questions that are not covered in the book.
    The book covers most everything though and is pretty readable considering a lawyer wrote it.
    The book goes for between $25 & $30
    IF you are really tight on $$$, you might be able to find it in a library

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Thank you so much for the quick reply and all the great info - that's exactly what I was looking for!

I have seen Gutmacher's book referenced here on the forum and look forward to getting my hands on a copy.

Thanks again
    NRA, GOA, USCCA, OFCC, BFA, USA Carry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HooTmon >>> Thanks, I learned something. I try to be on top of stuff. So If I carry in Fl., which I have, then I need a holster with a thumb break or flap? Damn. That really doesn't would with the LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    HooTmon >>> Thanks, I learned something. I try to be on top of stuff. So If I carry in Fl., which I have, then I need a holster with a thumb break or flap? Damn. That really doesn't would with the LCP.
    I want to make sure I was clear...
    The Thumb break is if you keep your gun in the car under your seat or between the seats, etc..
    If you are going to place your gun in the Glove compartment or console, it does not need to be holstered at all.

To conceal carry you do not need a thumb break or flap..

An example of NOT "securely encased" would be a pistol in a paper bag.. This is because you could shoot the gun without taking the gun out of the bag

There is no "three step rule" in Florida the gun just needs to be "Securely Encased" - As stated this can be:
    In a glove compartment (closed) loaded and ready to go
    In a console - loaded and ready to go
    In a holster with a strap
    In a holster with a flap

Hope it helps!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Sure does Hoot! Thanks, You had me confused for a minute. When I traavel I use a Pelican case with a Pelilock and have a cable lock that I can lock the case into my trunk. Works great. Plus, the case is small enough to bring in my luggage into someones house and still be locked. Works great. While in the car I have it on my person.