Florida Pushes for Open Carry - Now with the Help From Rick Scott? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Pushes for Open Carry - Now with the Help From Rick Scott?

1. I have recently moved down to Florida from Michigan and I could not believe that Florida wasnt an open carry state. I really liked Michigan's law. I open carried daily. In Michigan you could open carry in most places other than Gun free zones but if you had a CCW you COULD open carry in gun free zones (although you cant Conceal in gun free zones even with CCW). It is uncommon to see someone open carry even though its legal but I never had anyone make a big deal about me carrying. I found that many store owners and restraunts would thank me for "showing" a presence while I was there. I also would like to say that if this does happen that we need to exercise our right. If you dont use it, you lose it.

3. As a Michigan resident, I open carry regularly while on my bicycle. The only place to conceal while wearing spandex in in a jersey pocket, which basically equals SOB carry. I OC in an ankle holster. Works well, and doesn't throw off my pedal stroke. I was in Florida for 6 weeks last year, and felt naked without my gun while riding up/down A1A. I can see the arguments both ways for CC/OC, and I'm okay with that, to each their own. Overall I like FL gun laws compared to MI, with the exception of the OC, and the restaurant/bar carry (I don't drink)

4. I don't know him but I will not be holding my breath on Open Carry in Florida... Yes, I live here also. Up between Pensacola and Panama City.

Would LOVE to see it happen though!

5. Open Carry in FL?

Where can I find documentation that Rick Scoot supports open carry? I have not seen this in the papers or anything he has said. I am a CCW licensee in Florida and live in the Tampa Bay area. I regularly travel to some of the loveliest parts of our State (Orlando and Tampa's worst parts) and would like to open carry at these times.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Where can I find documentation that Rick Scoot supports open carry? I have not seen this in the papers or anything he has said. I am a CCW licensee in Florida and live in the Tampa Bay area. I regularly travel to some of the loveliest parts of our State (Orlando and Tampa's worst parts) and would like to open carry at these times.
    I found this

Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida

I just want to take a moment for [email protected] and say:

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

8. Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Come meet us tomorrow in Tampa. See here: Florida Open Carry & Fishing Event in Tampa - Florida Open Carry (Tampa, FL) - Meetup
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

9. Theoretically open carry is legal in a lot of states. Its the disturbance that it causes when non carriers start screaming that is the problem. Open carriers are frequently charged with disturbing the peace when non carriers scream about there being a person carrying a gun in the produce isle, etc.

If open carry is passed will there be a repeal of concealed carry? The reasoning being that it would be more sinister to have a concealed gun. Just some food for thought.

For those who don't support open carry...

In my mind the biggest benefit for having OC being on the books as legal is so CCW won't have to worry if the wind flips open a jacket or the t-shirt rides up the holster, causing a "brandishing" issue.

Believe me, OC would be a boon to this state, and to any state that does not specifically allow it.

It allows people to carry concealed with their license, and not become a criminal for accidental open exposure.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Shoegoo View Post
    Theoretically open carry is legal in a lot of states. Its the disturbance that it causes when non carriers start screaming that is the problem. Open carriers are frequently charged with disturbing the peace when non carriers scream about there being a person carrying a gun in the produce isle, etc.

If open carry is passed will there be a repeal of concealed carry? The reasoning being that it would be more sinister to have a concealed gun. Just some food for thought.
    Yeah... That just doesn't usually happen. People carry openly in most states every day and you never hear about it because usually nobody cares.
    On the rare occasion that someone does have a problem you hear about it in the news and online because usually the open carrier has their rights violated and they are suing the PD that overreacted.

Repeal of CC? Point to anywhere in the US that has happened or even been suggested.

These arguments do not even rise to the level of being conjecture. They are outright red hearings.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast