Florida Pushes for Open Carry - Now with the Help From Rick Scott?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Pushes for Open Carry - Now with the Help From Rick Scott?

Florida Pushes for Open Carry - Now with the Help From Rick Scott?

A few weeks back we all heard the news that if elected Governor of Florida, Rick Scott would repeal the ban on unconcealed or Open Carry. Well, looks like Rick Scott won so do that mean we'll be seeing Open Carry here in Florida soon? Guess we'll all have to keep our eye on this one. I live in Florida myself and wouldn't mind seeing Open Carry being legal here.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

We have to HOLD all their feet to the fire from now on. Good luck with the OC. Will be down in my home State of Florida at Thanksgiving. Have my CWP for Fla but would like to OC at some point in my visits.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

4. See my article here: No laurels for the victors to rest on in Florida - Orlando gun rights | Examiner.com

There are promises to keep and so far indications are that Scott will be keeping them. I spoke to one of his staffers today about finding bill sponsors. The governor can't do it alone though. I need to find the state legislators to sponsor the bills and get them passed in the FL House and Senate.

I'll be sending out more info about this later but be ready to email and call your reps.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

Thanks for the info and keep us posted!

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

6. Last year I spammed most of the house, and a lot of the senate about some gun rights issues. From the responses I got, I don't think we'll have much problem finding a sponsor. In fact, I going to write Thad Altman as soon as I'm done with this. He's a Life NRA member, I believe. We also got a brand new representative, Jason Brodeur, who is pro gun I'll CC him as well. IF anyone needs the email of a particular rep/senator, I got a lot of responses from that spam, so I kept all their Addy's in my contacts. Just PM me and I'll see if I have it.

7. Good to know I thought Fla. already had open carry. Thanks for the info

Thumbs up

Yes..thanks for the info and please keep us posted on this!
    NRA, GOA, USCCA, OFCC, BFA, USA Carry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The bill we are asking for is very simple. Complete repeal of 790.053

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.--
    (1)Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.
    (2)A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
    (a)A self-defense chemical spray.
    (b)A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
    (3)Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

I'm a Floridian concealed carry permit holder. I live in a high population density (St Pete Beach) area, in a large condo complex, full of 55+ owners. I am also a competitive shooter (USPSA, 3-Gun, and Action Rifle/Shotgun).

I don't have any reason/need to carry openly most days. Daytime open carry in my complex, a Walmart or at a liqueur store might be more trouble than it is worth, even though I LOOK more like a cop than most cops... I would PREFER to carry concealed, and will continue to if the OC law is reversed (legalized).

But... I think a businessman, closing up at midnight, in a commercial/higher crime area, should DEFINITELY have the right to lock up with a full-size handgun displayed openly on his hip. I think that anyone who feels they want to, or should carry openly, should have the right to for sure, as the 2nd amendment says nothing about having to HIDE your rightfully possessed firearm. And in a rural, even non-hunting, area/situation, where guns are more acceptable than downtown, I see open carry as common sense. Why hide an accepted "tool"? MORE than 1/2 (6 Million+) of the population of Florida over the age of 18 OWNS guns. More than 1 Million now hold CCW permits... These rates I think are on par with Texas, maybe higher.

I also think a gradual acclimatization to open carry by the average citizen (over months and years) with no increase, or even a decrease in violent crime, should change the perceptions widely. There was a time in this country where a very high percentage of the population carried openly with no negative connotation...

As a competitive shooter, who walks around literally for HOURS each week with a gun on his hip (albeit unloaded), it feels completely normal to me!

I'm looking FORWARD to legal open carry in FL (again).

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    A few weeks back we all heard the news that if elected Governor of Florida, Rick Scott would repeal the ban on unconcealed or Open Carry. Well, looks like Rick Scott won so do that mean we'll be seeing Open Carry here in Florida soon? Guess we'll all have to keep our eye on this one. I live in Florida myself and wouldn't mind seeing Open Carry being legal here.
    I also live in Florida, would like to see CC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast