canoeing and carrying in Florida questions

Thread: canoeing and carrying in Florida questions

Exclamation canoeing and carrying in Florida questions

Here is the question at hand...
    I know it is legal in Florida to carry a firearm in state parks and in National forests with a permit. But what about on a river in a canoe. What laws and rules apply? It is my thinking that standard carry laws apply, with permit, unless you are actively involved in fishing then open carry would be allowed.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

3. Hi Festus!
    Great news! You can OPEN CARRY in certain situations:

Source: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf

CARRYING:
    Unless covered under the exceptions, it is unlawful to openly carry on
    or about the person any firearm, or to carry a concealed firearm on or about
    the person without a license.
    Exceptions:
    1. Persons having firearms at their home or place of business.
    2. Enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trapshooting,
    while at, or going to or from shooting practice.
    3. Members of clubs organized for collecting antique or modern firearms
    while at or going to or from exhibitions.
    4. Persons engaged in fishing, camping or hunting and while going to or
    from such activity.
    5. Persons engaged in target shooting under safe conditions and in a safe
    place or while going to or from such place.
    6. Persons who are firing weapons for target practice in a safe and secure
    indoor range.
    7. Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely
    encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not
    in the personís manual possession.
    8. Persons carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from place
    of purchase to their home or to a place of repair and back.
    9. Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing
    in firearms.
    10. Military, law enforcement personnel and private guards while so
    employed.

So, it sounds like you have a permit from the way you have posted and as long as your state is a "reciprocity state" with Florida, you can carry on your person or in your boat ANY weapon you choose or, more than one weapon. Carry a fishing pole in your canoe and your good to go to open carry OR store a firearm in a commonly suitable container/gunbag etc. even without a CWP.

A side note:Last year I called FWC (Florida's Fish & Wildlife Commission) to verify that it was legal to target shoot from my boat in the ocean and they informed me that yes it was as long as I was using/practicing common sense i.e. shooting in the direction out to sea and NOT towards LAND! The officer just suggested that I try to be out a good ways from land & obviously not around boat traffic ( I was shooting at milk jugs I had tied to an old crabtrap bouey I had laying around). Of course, I understand you will be in a canoe so probably not in the ocean but I just thought I'd bring this to your attention as well.

FWC/Marine patrol is VERY used to Florida boater's/canoer's having a firearm in their conveyance <-- (which is what it is considered) so no biggie there. If they ask if you have a firearm just say "yes I do" and tell them where it is on the boat if they ask but of course DO NOT REACH TO SHOW THEM where on the boat for obvious reasons!

Of course, I am NOT a Lawyer and this is the internet so verify what I am saying for yourself if you'd like - I won't be offended...lol

Good luck & have fun!

You do not need a permit if you are coming or going from a activity like fishing or hunting in Florida to open carry. This should help:

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday