Florida HB 89 passes committee

Thread: Florida HB 89 passes committee

Florida HB 89 passes committee

Text is at http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...9&Session=2014

Florida is stepping it up from just SYG to also make legal, defensive display of firearms or even warning shot, to prevent serious attacks or threats of serious attacks. Takes away the criminals calling the cops and saying MWAG and the person being arrested for defending ones self without actually shooting the criminal..
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Outstanding!! That would be great to have that law in place.
    Samuel Colt did more for equality in America than any civil rights activist.

I agree except for the warning shot. There's too much that can go wrong with that. The safest warning shot would be into the ground, but are they going to specify that? You shoot in the air, it's going to come down somewhere. You shoot over their head, who knows what you're going to hit?
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

I agree with Peggy. I'm also a "fan" of defensive display. Putting your hands down your pants and showing a firearm will make the criminals without a gun handy (I'd guess a goooood portion, if not majority of muggers) run & if they are armed, well, your hand is already on your piece and you've just struck fear or panic in them.

A much better deterrent than just SYG is, which isn't really a deterrent.
    Last edited by jaydub; 11-22-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: quotes around "fan"
    Current status: getting personal instruction from a friend before CCL - still no holster, biometric vaults in-home, or full-size mag
    Gun: S&W M&P 9c

6. Florida HB 89 passes committee

Ending a threat by simply showing the attacker I'm armed would be best. To kill someone is not something I want to live with if at all possible. The law would need to be very clear on many details ...Threat or intent to cause great bodily harm and a possible proximity of said threat and so on. Good to see something in this direction though :-)

ezkl2230 Guest
    Interesting. So part two of the "Trayvon Rule" that 1 Million Educated, Black Men wanted to see enacted has, in fact, been approved. The legislature hasn't MANDATED that the defender make the attacker aware that they are armed, but has now said it is OK to do so. When I posted this graphic a few months ago, people were angrily denouncing that any such disclosure would actually ESCALATE a defensive situation. Interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images Florida HB 89 passes committee-1072336_369444119851646_658544973_o.jpg