Non-resident process - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Non-resident process

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    No.

    A copy of your CCW instruction certificate will work. I had nonresident Nevada and Utah permits before I applied for the Florida CWP. I could have used the CCW instruction certificiate, but I decided to use my Hunter Safety Certificate, which I found buried in a drawer. It was faded, but I was able to make a decent copy. It was dated 1978. I can't believe it has been 30 years. Needless to say, it worked.
    I've heard and read that Florida has a liberal interpretation of what constitutes firearms training to qualify for a permit. Glad to see that it worked out for you.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I've heard and read that Florida has a liberal interpretation of what constitutes firearms training to qualify for a permit. Glad to see that it worked out for you.
    I am very grateful to Florida for the opportunity to obtain their nonresident CWP.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

    -Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

  4. #13
    I have taken a hunters education class as well as a pistol class. I will be sending them both of these. I hope that they issue me their CCW permit.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  5. Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    I have taken a hunters education class as well as a pistol class. I will be sending them both of these. I hope that they issue me their CCW permit.
    I wouldn't volunteer more than you have to. All you need is the Hunter Safety Certificate. It will work. It did for me.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

    -Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    I wouldn't volunteer more than you have to. All you need is the Hunter Safety Certificate. It will work. It did for me.
    I disagree. Some states (like here in PRHI), students are not able to handle firearms. Depending on who reviews your paperwork, if they somehow figure out that the only "firearms safety" class that you had was one in which you were shown a bunch of pictures of firearms and told how to store them etc., and not allowed to HANDLE any firearms, your permit may get denied. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I know of at least one specific case. A lady here in PRHI applied for her FL CCW License. The ONLY training she had was the State of Hawaii Hunter Education course. Someone in the state of FL actually called her to ask if she handled any firearms in the safety class. The lady answered honestly and was told that she will be receiving a letter in the mail in the next week or so. Upon receiving the letter, the lady contacted one of the instructors in her PRHI Hunter Safety class, who in turn contacted me to assist her. I read through the letter and found that other than some minor paperwork issues, the application was denied due to "Inadequate firearms training". One of the suggestions from the FL Dept. of Agriculture (the issuing agency) was to take a NRA Basic Pistol course. The lady took a class from me, I issued her an affidavit that she included with her application and resubmitted it to the FL Dept. of Agriculture. Three weeks later, her CCW License arrived in the mail.

    When I applied for my FL CCW License, I applied in person and chatted with the Sheriff Deputy who took my fingerprints. When I mentioned that I lived in PRHI, his face turned blank. He asked if I had any "hands on" experience with handguns. I told him that I was in the military and had years of experience with a variety of firearms. He recommended that I submit as much relevant firearms training information as I could. With that advice, I included a copy of my military ID, affidavit from a Certified NRA Instructor and a copy of my Hawaii Hunter Education Card. Needless to say, I got my FL CCW License.

    If you're unsure of what you need to do or what "counts" in satisfying the requirements, don't be afraid to call the issuing agency or contact somebody who processes the permit/license applications.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I disagree. Some states (like here in PRHI), students are not able to handle firearms. Depending on who reviews your paperwork, if they somehow figure out that the only "firearms safety" class that you had was one in which you were shown a bunch of pictures of firearms and told how to store them etc., and not allowed to HANDLE any firearms, your permit may get denied. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I know of at least one specific case. A lady here in PRHI applied for her FL CCW License. The ONLY training she had was the State of Hawaii Hunter Education course. Someone in the state of FL actually called her to ask if she handled any firearms in the safety class. The lady answered honestly and was told that she will be receiving a letter in the mail in the next week or so. Upon receiving the letter, the lady contacted one of the instructors in her PRHI Hunter Safety class, who in turn contacted me to assist her. I read through the letter and found that other than some minor paperwork issues, the application was denied due to "Inadequate firearms training". One of the suggestions from the FL Dept. of Agriculture (the issuing agency) was to take a NRA Basic Pistol course. The lady took a class from me, I issued her an affidavit that she included with her application and resubmitted it to the FL Dept. of Agriculture. Three weeks later, her CCW License arrived in the mail.

    When I applied for my FL CCW License, I applied in person and chatted with the Sheriff Deputy who took my fingerprints. When I mentioned that I lived in PRHI, his face turned blank. He asked if I had any "hands on" experience with handguns. I told him that I was in the military and had years of experience with a variety of firearms. He recommended that I submit as much relevant firearms training information as I could. With that advice, I included a copy of my military ID, affidavit from a Certified NRA Instructor and a copy of my Hawaii Hunter Education Card. Needless to say, I got my FL CCW License.

    If you're unsure of what you need to do or what "counts" in satisfying the requirements, don't be afraid to call the issuing agency or contact somebody who processes the permit/license applications.



    gf

    That is why I will submit both certificates. I did handle firearms in the LTC class. I don't think its a NRA class, however it was a Massachusetts Class. I don't think I will have a problem with it. I will submit both and pray for the best. I just hope they don't deny me. I do not want that on me. I want the Floirda permit so I can eventually apply for my NH non-res.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    127
    If Florida has a problem with your firearms training documents, they will contact you and allow you to send them something else. A friend of mine had submitted an application, and there was a problem with his training certificate (I forget what it was). He wasn't denied; he was only delayed.

    Your training does not have to be NRA related; NRA courses are just the most commonly recognized. Any course training certificate where you handled firearms under a certified instructor should be sufficient. You can always contact them by phone or email to ask them if it's a concern.

  9. #18

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    I wouldn't volunteer more than you have to. All you need is the Hunter Safety Certificate. It will work. It did for me.
    Agree 100%

    Never contribute whats nots required,
    never volunteer what's not requested
    for later it will become mandatory.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I disagree. Some states (like here in PRHI), students are not able to handle firearms. Depending on who reviews your paperwork, if they somehow figure out that the only "firearms safety" class that you had was one in which you were shown a bunch of pictures of firearms and told how to store them etc., and not allowed to HANDLE any firearms, your permit may get denied. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I know of at least one specific case. A lady here in PRHI applied for her FL CCW License. The ONLY training she had was the State of Hawaii Hunter Education course. Someone in the state of FL actually called her to ask if she handled any firearms in the safety class. The lady answered honestly and was told that she will be receiving a letter in the mail in the next week or so. Upon receiving the letter, the lady contacted one of the instructors in her PRHI Hunter Safety class, who in turn contacted me to assist her. I read through the letter and found that other than some minor paperwork issues, the application was denied due to "Inadequate firearms training". One of the suggestions from the FL Dept. of Agriculture (the issuing agency) was to take a NRA Basic Pistol course. The lady took a class from me, I issued her an affidavit that she included with her application and resubmitted it to the FL Dept. of Agriculture. Three weeks later, her CCW License arrived in the mail.

    When I applied for my FL CCW License, I applied in person and chatted with the Sheriff Deputy who took my fingerprints. When I mentioned that I lived in PRHI, his face turned blank. He asked if I had any "hands on" experience with handguns. I told him that I was in the military and had years of experience with a variety of firearms. He recommended that I submit as much relevant firearms training information as I could. With that advice, I included a copy of my military ID, affidavit from a Certified NRA Instructor and a copy of my Hawaii Hunter Education Card. Needless to say, I got my FL CCW License.

    If you're unsure of what you need to do or what "counts" in satisfying the requirements, don't be afraid to call the issuing agency or contact somebody who processes the permit/license applications.



    gf
    Well, I am sorry to hear that, but that didn't happen to me. I got mine with the Hunter Safety Certificate only. Obviously, there's something wrong. A hunter safety certificate is a hunter safety certificate, regardless of what state it comes from. The course material is very similar. According to DOACS docmentation, the hunter safety certificate is acceptable.

    The DOACS application handbook states:

    "Completion of ANY hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish And Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state"

    I don't see where it says "except Hawaii" anywhere or where you have to handle firearms. I don't know of any hunter safety courses that has a live fire or firearm handling requirement. Instructors do go over the types of firearms, the different actions and safety rules. I know people all over and they did not have to handle any firearms in their hunter safety classes. All we had to do was pass the written test and it did include firearms and firearm safety.

    It sounds like the DOACS employee(s) that handled your apps could be is in violation of Florida statute, not to mention discrimination against a group of people, those who live in Hawaii. They must think that there is no hunting or shooting in Hawaii. That is illegal and subject to legal action.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

    -Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    Agree 100%

    Never contribute whats nots required,
    never volunteer what's not requested
    for later it will become mandatory.
    At the same time, I would argue that if you believe that sending in more than what's required will help you, then by all means do it. What's the harm in that if it helps you get the permit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast