Pointless No Gun Signs - Can You Carry In Florida Airports? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless No Gun Signs - Can You Carry In Florida Airports?

Let me get this straight. If you're legal to carry there, then you can, and if you're not, you can't. Did I miss something?

Ok, from Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq.'s book Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership:

From section Places Prohibited With Concealed Permit:
    Inside the passenger portion of any airline terminal, and the "steril area" of any airport (ie: the X-ray machine checkpoint, and beyond). Usually the area reserved for passengers making flight departures, or arrivals.

However, there is an exceptionS for anyone who is a passenger, is in the terminal (but not the sterile area), and is carrying a firearm for shipment as baggage on an airline so long as that firearm is already unloaded, and encased in a locked container.
    So I guess I was wrong. Looks like you can't bring them anywhere inside the airport as the terminal would be right when you step inside for departures or right inside the arrival area, correct?
    Last edited by lukem; 10-22-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Ok, from Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq.'s book Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership:

From section Places Prohibited With Concealed Permit:

So I guess I was wrong. Looks like you can't bring them anywhere inside the airport as the terminal would be right when you step inside for departures or right inside the arrival area, correct?
    I'll do some more research but from what I've looked into and read the sterile section is anything past the security check point. Which, I think we all agree on. The passenger part of the airport is the section that is reserved for passengers only. Anything past were you have to show your boarding passes and ID. The exception was added just incase there is an occasion were the check in is into the passenger section, ect. At least thatís how I and a few others I respect read it. But I'll look into it some more and maybe drop my instructor an email. This may be one of those gray areas that have not been tested yet.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I sent Jon Gutmacher an email to see if he could clear this issue up for us.

Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I sent Jon Gutmacher an email to see if he could clear this issue up for us.
    Great. He should be able to clear that up. In the mean time I'll ask around also. Thanks Luke.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I got an email back from Jon this morning:

passenger section is normally any part of the terminal whereas the "sterile area" is the portion from the xray machines on. Federal and state regs cover the sterile area, state regs only cover the terminal.
    So looks like you pretty much cannot go inside the airport at all with a gun unless you are a passenger and checking it in.

8. Pointless signs

That would be a pointless sign, indeed, but not as pointless as the large brass plaque on Hoover Dam, that says "Do Not Remove." One wonders what they mean. Are they afraid that someone will pull up in the middle of the night in a Ford pickup and haul the dam away, or maybe they mean do not remove this plaque?
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Fortunately you found out before you got made, arrested and lost your CCWs. In some States, any weapon violation is a permanent prohibiting condition. Considering that airports are full of local, State and federal LEOs, there's a high probability of getting made.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I got an email back from Jon this morning:

So looks like you pretty much cannot go inside the airport at all with a gun unless you are a passenger and checking it in.
    Interesting! Thank for getting a hold of Jon for us. I'll have to inform my friends also. Goes to show two people can read the same law and interrupt it in different ways. His comment almost sounds like its still not completely black and white: "passenger section is normally any part of the terminal.

Usually I just pickup and dropoff on the curb side but next time I go in I'll leave it in the car just to be safe.

Thanks again Luke.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Same here. I'll be picking up at curbside in my car from now on.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast