Flying Out To FL. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flying Out To FL.

I often travel with a roll-on suitcase, cooler (the kind with wheels) and my firearms case. The cooler would have my hunting stuff if I'm going hunting or various gear that didn't fit or didn't need to be in the suitcase. If you're short on space and would like to make packing easier, you can pack your ammo in the cooler along with your child's stuff. I strongly recommend duct taping the cooler shut, and sign your name or place a postage stamp over the end of the tape to ensure that it's not tampered with.

When you get to your destination, you can unload your clothes or whatever was in the cooler, then stop at the nearest Wal*mart to stock up on food, beverages, etc. I found that the cooler of "goodies" makes life easier regardless of where I'm headed.

Happy travels!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

ONE more question and I'm all done..........
    According to TSA regulations taken right off of their site, it says in one part about Magazines.........
    "You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard)".
    From the above quote (TSA), is it acceptable to load the magazines; put them both in a Pocket Holster and lock them up in a separate case from the gun I guess is my question.
    I have two magazines, each hold 7 rounds. I'll worry about more ammo out in FL (if there is any left, lol). Thanks!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Quote Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
    ONE more question and I'm all done..........
    According to TSA regulations taken right off of their site, it says in one part about Magazines.........
    "You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard)".
    From the above quote (TSA), is it acceptable to load the magazines; put them both in a Pocket Holster and lock them up in a separate case from the gun I guess is my question.
    I have two magazines, each hold 7 rounds. I'll worry about more ammo out in FL (if there is any left, lol). Thanks!
    Loaded magazines need to be in a magazine pouch. If the pocket holster has a form fitting magazine pouch then you're fine. Just make sure the airline defers to TSA regulations and doesn't have any additional restrictions.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Well that sucks now because I do not have any Pouches. Looks like I'll just have put the ammo in a locked case (per restrictions), but now that leaves me with the Mags because neither Jet Blue OR TSA Massport Logan airport have ANYTHING that I have seen on what to do with Magazines.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Well that sucks now because I do not have any Pouches. Looks like I'll just have put the ammo in a locked case (per restrictions), but now that leaves me with the Mags because neither Jet Blue OR TSA Massport Logan airport have ANYTHING that I have seen on what to do with Magazines.
    Looks like they need to be unloaded. Jetblue also has additional restrictions I don't like such as a limitation on the number of firearms per case. Not good if you travel with long guns and pistols as those will be declared as two separate items.

Also be forewarned that you're going in and out of MA which requires a permit to possess so be sure to have a copy of the FOPA and the US AG's opinion on the FOPA with respect to air travel that's on the Flying out of NY State thread posted recently.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Yeh, I got JetBlue (TSA rules) all printed out as suggested on here. No, just one gun, two mags and 14 rounds. Like I said, NOTHING is mentioned what to do with the empty mags. What has everyone else been doing with theirs?? Now do I say, "all this just to take my gun with me on vacation"? We're talking about protection, right? So it shouldn't matter what You have to do to transport your firearm. My Wife already told me it seems like alot of aggrevation just for this. That's all I need now, get to the airport and there is something they find not in place even though I know I'm good. Now She'll be standing there with the Rugrats shaking Her head at me possibly missing our flight. This is a first for me and I don't really think I'm up to challenging someone (TSA) when I'm called upon. Everyone here has been a big help. Everything that has been said I found in the regulations for both Airline and Massport but somehow I still feel like everything is not going to go as planned.
    I'll give both the airlines and Massport a call tomorrow and go from there. Thnx. guys.

Yeh, I got JetBlue (TSA rules) all printed out as suggested on here. No, just one gun, two mags and 14 rounds. Like I said, NOTHING is mentioned what to do with the empty mags. What has everyone else been doing with theirs?? Now do I say, "all this just to take my gun with me on vacation"? We're talking about protection, right? So it shouldn't matter what You have to do to transport your firearm. My Wife already told me it seems like alot of aggrevation just for this. That's all I need now, get to the airport and there is something they find not in place even though I know I'm good. Now She'll be standing there with the Rugrats shaking Her head at me possibly missing our flight. This is a first for me and I don't really think I'm up to challenging someone (TSA) when I'm called upon. Everyone here has been a big help. Everything that has been said I found in the regulations for both Airline and Massport but somehow I still feel like everything is not going to go as planned.
    I'll give both the airlines and Massport a call tomorrow and go from there. Thnx. guys.
    They do say what to do with it here in their checked baggage policies;
    The ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition is limited to 10 pounds per customer.
    This means no loaded magazines; get yourself a plastic reloader box if you don't have the original factory boxes and put it in there. They also do not allow ammunition to be in the hard side locked firearm case. Southwest does. This is why I fly Southwest. If TSA allows it, they allow it.

Southwest allows loaded magazines in magazine pouches, carriers or boxes here in their checked baggage policies;

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

I always thought that it was funny that the TSA and airline regs mentioned that the ammo must be packaged in the original packaging, fiber, wood or metal box. Most reload boxes are made of plastic. There's no mention of plastic here, but I've never had a problem once I explained how the plastic box is better than the cardboard original packaging.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I always thought that it was funny that the TSA and airline regs mentioned that the ammo must be packaged in the original packaging, fiber, wood or metal box. Most reload boxes are made of plastic. There's no mention of plastic here, but I've never had a problem once I explained how the plastic box is better than the cardboard original packaging.
    If you reload, those boxes are the original packaging.

Unless I totally missed it, I still do not see any mention of EMPTY MAGAZINES. Still wondering where to put those.
    I'll give them a call later this morning.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast