Can LEOs see permit status' on their computers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can LEOs see permit status' on their computers?

Can LEOs see permit status' on their computers?

So my buddy was pulled over (OK he was parked in a parking lot and the officer pulled up) and after a brief round of questions the officer went back to his car and went to work on his computer. Upon returning to my friends vehicle the first thing he asked was "Are you carrying any weapons on you today?" Now that may sound like a normal question but there was no infraction committed, no warrants, nothing. Basically my friend fell asleep in his car at lunch in the parking lot of the store he works at. After a time-wasting round of questions the officer drove away.

When an officer looks you up on his computer, does it tell him/her you have a CCW permit? I'm in CT if it makes any difference.

I think they can tell in TN. The permit is linked to our drivers license. My permit number is the same as my DL number. I certainly have no idea about CT though.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

My understanding

is that in most states it shows but there are some states where it doesn't.

That was pretty much the agreement last time this was tossed all around on PDO.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    is that in most states it shows but there are some states where it doesn't.

That was pretty much the agreement last time this was tossed all around on PDO.
    This is state specific, I know VA is this way. FL is not. It is common for some officers to ask if you have any weapons as a matter of procedure, doesn't necessarily imply they think you have one.

In Texas if you are a CHL holder and have your weapon with you you are required to inform the officer when stopped that you have it. He will know soon enough because when he runs your driver's lic. it will come up.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

CCW info doesn't come up in California. If I'm not mistaken, the officer (if he wants to "validate" your permit) has to contact the issuing agency or the DOJ in Sacramento. If it's after hours I can imagine this might be a problem.
    To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Here in Michigan they can tell off your registration and I would think your drivers license.

DJ58

9. In Nevada as soon as your plate is run the Officer knows you have a permit. It depends on which databases the agency has access too.

Personally, even though we have no requirement to inform, and even though the Officer already knows, I would still hand my permit with my license if stopped as a courtesy and to show my willingness to cooperate. ;)

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

10. in ks the highway patrol has that.i asked. local departments may not all have it,depending on the level of equipment they have.

Quote Originally Posted by M50 Guy View Post
    CCW info doesn't come up in California. If I'm not mistaken, the officer (if he wants to "validate" your permit) has to contact the issuing agency or the DOJ in Sacramento. If it's after hours I can imagine this might be a problem.
    CCW info DOES come up in California, you just need to access it. For wants and warrants (28,29) you use the DMV database. If you log into the DOJ data base you first see a CI #. That means they have been finger printed. You click on that, it shows what for, CCW.
    "A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" 1924
    Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast