Student Vigilante Group Armed With Guns Searching For Bad Guys Near UW Campus - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Student Vigilante Group Armed With Guns Searching For Bad Guys Near UW Campus

The fact is the police can not be everywhere. Many police departments are over taxed and more often than not their prime function becomes trying to catch the criminal after a crime has been committed not in prevention. Probably stating that you are trying to bate criminals is not a smart thing to do. Your mouth can often times get you in a world of trouble. On the other hand I see no problem in an armed "neighborhood watch". I give them credit for doing something rather than being just part of the sheeple.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    The fact is the police can not be everywhere. Many police departments are over taxed and more often than not their prime function becomes trying to catch the criminal after a crime has been committed not in prevention. Probably stating that you are trying to bate criminals is not a smart thing to do. Your mouth can often times get you in a world of trouble. On the other hand I see no problem in an armed "neighborhood watch". I give them credit for doing something rather than being just part of the sheeple.
    Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with an armed "neighborhood watch" either, just not a good idea to advertise. IMAO.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Ok, so what about an "armed neighborhood watch"?

Suppose a group of CCW civilians DOES advertise that they're gonna provide this function as these kids have done? Illegal? If not, then suppose they all decide to wear identifying signia, like an arm patch? Still legal? Anybody remember the Guardian Angels in New York City years ago (think it was NYC, anyway)? To my knowledge, they weren't armed, but provided the same function. To this point, I think the group would be OK.

Two things come to mind: 1) Intent - If they are just patrolling and this keeps BGs out, I don't see a problem. If they are "baiting" BGs, possible problem, IMO. 2) Action - They shoot a BG. I'll assume it was legitimate but I don't know if it will play out well for them in the legal system. This is the "sticky wicket". You know LE would have a problem with the whole thing as this infringes on their "turf" but I could care less. I'm concerned with the legalities. These kids, and any such group, need legal counsel BEFORE something happens.

Frankly, tho, the idea is starting to grow on me. It occurs to me that this could be the beginning of the "armed militia" that we all discuss.

My .02 cents.

Georgia Tech students have been victimized a lot this year, shot, robbed, otherwise assaulted. The predators know in GA you cannot possess a firearm, even with a permit, within 1000 feet of a college campus. GA Tech is a great school, but right in the middle of downtown Atlanta...... a really dangerous place.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is try to avoid problems by staying out of bad areas after dark, using common sense, and being armed legally just in case. Most of the students, but not all, who were attacked were walking off campus, late at night. I wouldn't do that even while armed unless it was very necessary. Walking to the Varsity for a hot dog would not be "necessary."

The fact that the Washington students have advertised they were looking for the bad guys will not help them in civil court if they shoot someone, and they WILL get sued even if it was a good shooting.
    Elliot
    Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders...Support our Troops
    Retired LEO, HR 218 Qualified, Certified Firefighter

6. It to me is amazing how people can be so predictable. I think they need a spokesperson, as advertising "I like taxi-driver, and vigilante movies" don't make people feel good.

How about something along the lines of:

We as students of ______ are tired of living in fear, we have armed ourselves, and are prepared to protect ourselves, our fellow students, and our teachers. This is NOT an act of vigilantism, rather a counter act to the aggression and crime we have been forced to live with. We are armed, and we want the bad guys to know it.

Its all in the spinoff..
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12