45 gap acp? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 gap acp?

Primary carry is Glock 39 .45 GAP with laser
    Less often carry is Glock 30 .45 ACP with laser
    Both are fine tools that I have no hesitation to recommend.
    .45 GAP ? No regrets. Would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    I owns a G37 .45GAP, I would get the .45GAP then the .45ACP they are not interchangeable. Check this link out. The .45GAP ammo is much stronger then the .45ACP
    Inside the .45 GAP or

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"
    Your shooting times link states "The .45 GAP case has a much different internal taper, ..."

Is this what you mean by the .45GAP is stronger? a stronger case?

The casing has been strengthened because the .45 GAP is loaded at a higher pressure than the .45 ACP... I woudn't say that it has any more stopping power than the ACP cartridge... Ballistics are pretty much identical. The casing of the GAP cartridge being shorter, has been loaded at higher pressures to get ACP ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    I owns a G37 .45GAP, I would get the .45GAP then the .45ACP they are not interchangeable. Check this link out. The .45GAP ammo is much stronger then the .45ACP
    Inside the .45 GAP or

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"
    Thanks for the link... Good information on the .45 Gap round.
    When seconds count, the LEO's are only minutes away...

I just bought a Glock 37 a few weeks ago. Took it to the range this past weekend and put a 100rnds. of 185gr. ball from Georgia Arms through it. The pistol performed flawlessly. I was impressed with the accuracy of the GAP cartridge! The G37 is much easier to grip than my G20 and it doesn't have near the felt recoil... Overall, it was a very pleasant shooting experience! By the way, Georgia Arms has decent pricing on .45 GAP ammo. And they have a lot of it!

Georgia Arms - .45 GAP

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    The casing has been strengthened because the .45 GAP is loaded at a higher pressure than the .45 ACP... I woudn't say that it has any more stopping power than the ACP cartridge... Ballistics are pretty much identical. The casing of the GAP cartridge being shorter, has been loaded at higher pressures to get ACP ballistics.

IIRC, someone (at Glock I presume) took note of the fact that, with modern powders it is impossible to fill the case of a .45ACP without blowing the gun up. Since there is wasted space in the case, they decided to shorten it and in the process drove the case pressures up anyway (I assume they knew this would happen) and made a more powerful cartridge. I think it's a good round but I'm gonna wait until it picks up more popularity before I start shopping for one. If LEOs are carrying it that probably won't be but a couple of years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NCjones View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I settled on the Sig 2022 in 9mm. Everything else the same, I'd rather have had the 45 ACP but the Sig just ran up and crawled up my leg when I walked into the gunshop.

Crawled up my leg? LOL I'l have to use that next time I bring one home

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    IIRC, someone (at Glock I presume) took note of the fact that, with modern powders it is impossible to fill the case of a .45ACP without blowing the gun up. Since there is wasted space in the case, they decided to shorten it and in the process drove the case pressures up anyway (I assume they knew this would happen) and made a more powerful cartridge. I think it's a good round but I'm gonna wait until it picks up more popularity before I start shopping for one. If LEOs are carrying it that probably won't be but a couple of years anyway.
    Yes there is an availability issue in the retail stores. However, there seems to be plenty of it online. Buffalo Bore will be adding the .45 GAP to their inventory next year. I got that info directly from BB. It is not a big seller as of yet. It may not ever become a "big" seller... It has a lot of opposition from the die hard 1911 and .45 ACP crowds. A lot of these folks don't like Glocks and think that the .45 ACP is the best bullet ever made. Then there are the folks that think the .45 GAP is a pointless cartridge. And for their particular needs and preferences, maybe it is. I like it and think it does serve a purpose. I like Glocks and I like the .45 GAP but I will be adding a 1911 to my collection

By the way, according to Wikipedia, there are five state police agencies that have gone to the .45 GAP. They are, the New York State Police, Pennsylvania State Police, Georgia State Patrol, South Carolina Highway Patrol, and Florida Highway Patrol. It seems to be gaining steam slowly but surely. However, it will never be as popular as the .45 ACP.

10. Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    'Higher pressure' doesn't mean more powerful.

Lower pressure loads normally have less perceived recoil, can be used with lighter recoil springs, making the guns easier to manipulate and are normally a bit easier on the gun as far as wear and tear is concerned. The .45 Colt is a very low pressure cartridge in its' smokeless form but you can still push a 255gr slug to almost 1000fps in it. Over a half ounce (218.75gr is half an ounce) of lead going almost Mach 1 is gonna make an impression. Since it's nearly a half an inch in diameter, it'll probably leave a big hole, too. Higher pressure loads often are more problematic than beneficial. Look at the gas cutting issues that were common with Smith .357's, the battering that a semi auto takes in 10mm means you need a far heavier recoil spring, meaning even if someone take the recoil and shoot the gun accurately, they may not have the hand strength to actually work the slide. I've been there and seen that one. I know a guy that was running maxed out 200gr loads through a Colt Delta Elite. He'd upped the spring weight so far I could barely work the slide and I'm over 6' tall, weigh more than 200 pounds and have been shooting pistols since I was 8 (and it wasn't a matchlock, it was a wheel lock).

The GAP was intended to duplicate the ACP in a package that fits into the .40/9mm frame Glocks. Is it better? That's up to the individual shooter to decide. On paper, there's not enough difference between the two to split hairs over.

11. buy a glock in .45 cal ACP,,its been around since 1911 + and it stops what it hits and its easier to find and if the do-do hits the fan you can get it,, 45 gap won't be avalible

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast