Have you had to draw or use your weapon and how has it changed you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you had to draw or use your weapon and how has it changed you?

Have you had to draw or use your weapon and how has it changed you?

Over the last few years I have had to draw my weapon a few times and had to use it 2 times. After all of the investigations and such. I look at using a little different than in the past. I also look differently at how I do things. Have others "been there" and did it cause them to look at things in a different light?

Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    Over the last few years I have had to draw my weapon a few times and had to use it 2 times. After all of the investigations and such. I look at using a little different than in the past. I also look differently at how I do things.
    I bet you do! Holy Smokes, where do you live? In 30 years, I've never even THOUGHT of pulling my weapon (and I grew up in East Baltimore). I trust, from the fact that you're posting (I'm assuming NOT from prison), that these were righteous shoots. If you'd care to talk about these situations, I'm fairly certain that others on this site would find your insights to be interesting and useful.

LGH is probably LEO or former LEO... I patrolled with a 15yr. veteran when I was on the force and in those 15 years, he has had to shoot on three different occasions. The first time he was being dragged by the suspects vehicle so he unloaded his pistol into him... 8 rounds later the perp was dead and deputy "Bill" though scuffed up, was alive! He said all three times he got sick to his stomach and vomited. Said it took him several days to get over the sick feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    LGH is probably LEO or former LEO...
    Yeah, that would make more sense, I guess. Would've thought he might have identified himself as such, but then again, maybe not...

No I was not a LEO I worked in private security and personal security. Was always given the best sites to work in nice "safe" areas to work. The two times I have had to use my weapon one was work related the other was not. The reason for my post is I have seen a lot of shoot first talk later post on here and it got me wondering if some have had the experience, ,pressure,and/or fear in a shoot no shoot.

To me, the most important gun part is between your ears..
    If you can deescalate a situation using your mind, words and body language and not have to pull, then that is a successful encounter..
    It is also what is between your ears that makes you hit your target when you shoot, correct.. Training for your brain from going to the range, reading about and thinking about scenarios, and training you mind in what to do, and what not to do...
    Hopefully if or when the time comes, and the situation can not be avoided, you will pull, shoot, not shoot a bystander, have witnesses on your side, have your permit (if required) on you, and a reasonable police officer arrive afterwords..

I have never needed to pull, and hope I never have to.. I prepare everyday in my mind and it is one of the reasons I frequent this site..

So LGH, if you would, expound upon your encounters so that we can all improve what is between our ears so what may come out the end of our barrels be true and accurate!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Ok first time I had to shoot was when I was working a protection detail. Man steps from doorway begins firing.
    Second, a man had broken into my home, I walk in on him. He pulls a knife I tell him to leave there is not need for the knife. I says he is going to kill me and rape my wife as I die. That is the short and the sweet of it. Both times they were good shoots. Both times I had lawyers trying to sue me for everything I own. Both times I have reviewed what happened millisons of times looking for a diffrent ending.

I've had my permit 4 years this month and thankfully I've never had to draw or use any of my guns. Hopefully it'll remain that way.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

10. I hear that

Ok first time I had to shoot was when I was working a protection detail. Man steps from doorway begins firing.
    Second, a man had broken into my home, I walk in on him. He pulls a knife I tell him to leave there is not need for the knife. I says he is going to kill me and rape my wife as I die. That is the short and the sweet of it. Both times they were good shoots. Both times I had lawyers trying to sue me for everything I own. Both times I have reviewed what happened millisons of times looking for a diffrent ending.
    I cant say i have had to draw or fire but i do know that after my child was born 9 months ago, i started buying guns and some of my family/ friends look at me different but i will say that coming to this site has given me ideas and good arguments to counter just about anything anybody wants to say against me or guns.

IN your situations i would have done the exact same thing and i really DO NOT think i would feel to bad about it, i mean im sure afterwards i would feel a little funny, and im not some crazy hardcore guy really i mean im one of the nicest people i think, but if someone crosses the line then thats on them and if moraly i feel that i was right then to h*** with them.
    I know my closest family would be OK with it,(if it was self defense), I think some of my "IN-LAWS" and other family not as close would freak but hey you cant please everyone, i mean atleast your around for them to "disapprove" of. lol hahaha
    -----------------------------------
    ITS BETTER TO BE CAUGHT WITH IT<>THAN TO BE CAUGHT WITHOUT IT

Wow! Both scenarios put you in a bad spot but from what you've said it sounds like any other ending would have only been a bad one.

The first one you just did your job and probably saved lives in the process. The second sounds like you gave the guy an out and when he didn't take it there really was only one thing left, protect your wife and yourself. Iíve always been taught that the perp has to have both intent and the ability to do you great bodily harm or death to use deadly force. In this case heís told you his intent and with a knife had the ability.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast