Who knows that you carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who knows that you carry?

Education is a powerfull tool in helping some to understand that guns don`t kill people,people kill people.I have also converted a few anti gunners just by taking them too the range and showing them that the gun isn`t going to jump out of the case and shoot someone and that as long as you practice safety and use common sense,you can have a great time and be perfectly safe.I even have a few friends that have asked me to take their children to the range when i take my son and daughter so i can teach them how to handle and shoot a gun safely.I feel that as responsible gun owners,we can make a positive impact on those around us that might be gun shy by setting positive examples.

Red face Most of my family

knows but it hasn't come up in a long time. My wife, my daughter, that we visit in Boston a few times a year. Most LEOs in my home town that I'm acquainted with, also know. It's not always a good idea to let people know. A long time ago, while backpacking in the Adirondacks (Mount Marcy) I was open carrying a 357 mag. I was approached by another hiker, who saw the gun. He asked me why I had a gun. I told him for protection. He lectured me that we were in the bears home and I didn't need a gun. A friend that was with with us piped up and said "It's for nosy jerks like you" I was no longer in engaged it the conversation and possible chance to explain my point of view. I didn't appreciate the comment from my friend and let him know. The take away from this is, This could happen to someone that is CCW, if the wrong people know.

In the words of Gandalf "Keep it hidden, keep it safe"

Joe

Family knows...And a few close friends. Undoubtedly most who get to know me figure it out. Or if they live near me as in roommates they do. Its hard to disquise the sound of the cocking of a gun in the morning. I've ran into friends who mouth off without understanding the consequences. I've been in that posistion. Most do not remain friends if they cannot understand the responsibility and nature of ccw. Some tend to see it as a joke or crack out about it like those experiences stated above. I like however, to tell people I have gotten to know for a while, especially if I think they can handle the news, just because it spreads out the education and knowledge that we are not cons or wannabe cops. Most figure it out as I also profess a good deal of firearms education and knowledge. They sort of figure it out when people start asking questions about ccw and one answers immediately without a pause. Oh WELL!!
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

My mother, kids, brothers, co-workers on my shift, friends and on the days I decide to OC everyone that sees me.
    ďBecause when seconds count, the police are only minutes awayĒ

Posting in ÖÖ.
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michieís Legal Resources

6. The media and most of the government do everything in their power to make it seem that anyone that owns a gun is a bag guy. Ask any person on the street if they see someone with a gun, do they think heís criminal or a law abiding citizen and Iím sure that most will say his is a criminal. Its just the way people have been brain washed to think. Itís for this reason I do not hide the fact that I carry from anyone I know be it friends or family.
    Know donít get me wrong, Iím not walking around with a shirt that says ďI have a gunĒ but I do sometimes wear NRA shirts and I have NRA stickers on my cars. If someone asks me about guns I talk to them about it. If someone has a problem with me having a gun I discuss it with them. Iím sure most of us have more than enough facts and figures to toss out to any anti-gun person out there to win an argument.
    Letís face it itís really up to us to educate the majority of people out there on the benefits / reason / responsibility / right of people to carry a gun. No one else is going to do it. So if I can convince just one person to apply for a permit thatís one more person out there that may one day save his life, his familyís life or maybe yours.

Family and some friends and I guess all of you guys on USA Carry.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

My wife and I very recently made the decision to get our permits. I've not told anyone yet of our plans to carry other than my wife's sister. In Delaware, it is required to get a written character reference from five residents of the county of which you reside and submit them with the application. We thought we'd request her signature.

Did I mention she is a Democrat, worked as an advisor to the Governor and now works under another elected state official as chief of staff? Sounded like it could be fun!

I thought it would be interesting to get her "opinion" and see her reaction to our request and decision. I didn't get 100% the reaction I was expecting. She started out by saying the gov't has no business interfering with a law abiding citizen who's had a thorough back ground check, in getting their permit. In almost the same breath though, her training kicked in and over-road her attempt at logical thought. She quickly went back to her "sheeple" mindset and followed up with, "but there are so many criminals out there, there needs to be some kind of gun control. People shouldn't just be walking around with guns". UUUUGGGGHHHH!

In an effort not to start a "family feud" I restrained myself from getting into a heated debate but did slide in the fact that if guns are restricted from law abiding citizens, only criminals will have guns. She obviously restrained herself from further discussion as well, but did agree to sign. The fact that she agreed means we may have at least partially pried open her mind and let a little light in.

I'm sure now that we've put it out there, it will come up frequently and I'll have more opportunities to bring her around. We can only hope!
    "Will Work For Ammo"

Well, the variety of responses have been interesting thus far. I'd have to say that I treat my carry gun like Switzerland does its nuclear weapons... :D ...I don't even admit that it exists, much less let anyone know where it is. I don't lie, of course - but no one really considers the idea, so it never comes up. I am a member of the NRA, and I do have a card, but there's no stickers or anything lying around that might make it obvious. I don't know anyone personally at the range or any of the gun shops where I go.

I'm not really sure why...I try to be fairly discreet to begin with, but IMO, I wouldn't necessarily want everyone I know to know that I carry, either. Some people can't control themselves when talking, while others might get a false sense of security. Most critically, in a situation that calls for self-defense, some people might give away (through a glance or in panic) the fact that I'm armed. Not to mention the one who will say, "Hey...it says no guns in here. Shouldn't you leave your gun in the car?" right in front of the greeter when walking into Walmart.

The best camouflage is to just look and act like everyone else, and then no one will give you a second thought. :)
    Last edited by toreskha; 01-08-2008 at 11:50 PM.

My husband, as well as my mom, sister, and brother who all live in Colorado (they honor Utah's license, so I carry when I visit out there). A couple of close friends, but that's it. The fewer who know the better, unless the topic can be used to spread awareness (that's why my 2 friends know).

Oddly enough that is the school my wife goes to.
    It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!-Emiliano Zapata

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast