Who knows that you carry? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who knows that you carry?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Well, the variety of responses have been interesting thus far. I'd have to say that I treat my carry gun like Switzerland does its nuclear weapons... :D ...I don't even admit that it exists, much less let anyone know where it is. I don't lie, of course - but no one really considers the idea, so it never comes up. I am a member of the NRA, and I do have a card, but there's no stickers or anything lying around that might make it obvious. I don't know anyone personally at the range or any of the gun shops where I go.

I'm not really sure why...I try to be fairly discreet to begin with, but IMO, I wouldn't necessarily want everyone I know to know that I carry, either. Some people can't control themselves when talking, while others might get a false sense of security. Most critically, in a situation that calls for self-defense, some people might give away (through a glance or in panic) the fact that I'm armed. Not to mention the one who will say, "Hey...it says no guns in here. Shouldn't you leave your gun in the car?" right in front of the greeter when walking into Walmart.

The best camouflage is to just look and act like everyone else, and then no one will give you a second thought. :)
    Bear with me, I'm a little confused.. Are you implying that you would carry in Walmart or someplace that has a sign posted prohibiting it? Or is your comment more to the effect that you'd rather your friend be more discreet in advising you of the sign.

Guns are not toys,
    this is not the movies,
    carrying a gun does not make you macho.

Stop talking about your permit,
    stop discussing your weapons,

and get that NRA sticker off your car and house.
    (Hey look, I have guns, follow me home and then rob me when I am gone)

BE INVISIBLE

which is strangely opposite of the OPEN carry movement.

4. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    What members of your family or friends do you tell about your CWP and the fact that you carry? Is it obvious that you even own a gun to begin with? I've seen some people who are completely discrete about it, and others who practically wear it on their sleeve. One example would be this guy, who got his name and picture in the paper on an article about students wanting to carry on campus.
    Carry what???

5. My family and a few close friends know I have a carry permit but they never know when I'm carrying...well except maybe my wife.
    Tomcatt

6. Only 2 members of my immediate family and one of them only because they saw me getting dressed one time.
    Loose lips sink ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
    My family and a few close friends know I have a carry permit but they never know when I'm carrying...well except maybe my wife.
    Tomcatt
    Yep, same for me. A few also know at work know I have a CCP but that's was to encourage them to secure one for themselves. One, a female actually has bought a nice 380 and is the process of obtaining her CCP.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I really don't care who knows I'm carrying a concealed weapon, it's my right and I'm exercising it. I have a NRA Life Member decal on my truck along with a USCCA decal below my Oathkeepers decal and next to my USAF retired decal. Note: Even my License Plate is in a NRA Lifer case... I've had a NRA Lifer decal and USAF retired decal on ever vehicle I've owned since I retired in 1983!
    Last edited by lukem; 11-28-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

9. Our own situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    I really don't care who knows I'm carrying a concealed weapon, it's my right and I'm exercising it. I have a NRA Life Member decal on my truck along with a USCCA decal below my Oathkeepers decal and next to my USAF retired decal. Note: Even my License Plate is in a NRA Lifer case... I've had a NRA Lifer decal and USAF retired decal on ever vehicle I've owned since I retired in 1983!
    I feel the same way and in Florida they are trying to get open carry legalized. Why have open carry in any state and why fight for the second ammendment rights if we don't exercise them or use them?
    I don't go around telling everyone that I have a weapon on me but if the subject comes up I let them know and encourage them to get a Conceal Weapons Permit to protect themselves. I have stickers on my bumper too and have never had any problems yet and hopefully like using my weapon for self defense, I never will.
    Situations are different from person to person so do what you feel you have to do to handle yourself when it comes to people knowing or not knowing about it. There are no right or wrongs as long as we get to carry.
    Last edited by lukem; 11-28-2010 at 06:00 PM.

My wife knows I have a permit.....but even she doesn't know for sure that I'm carrying at any given time. In my usual attire, using a bellyband as a holster, she (and the general public) are oblivious to the fact that I'm carrying....as it should be. With the weather here in the Carolinas' still in the 70's....that means tee shirt and shorts for me. Can't wait for the weather to get a little cooler and I can throw on an open shirt or light jacket. I've moved to wearing a large vs medium tee, but I've developed confidence that with a darker colored tee the medium still works fine...even walking past LEO's.
    Peace through Superior Firepower

Quote Originally Posted by lordtobar View Post
    don't be a moron
    Before you slam me for asking a simple question, why don't you try fixing the spelling and gramatical mistakes in your flaming post?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast