4 police officers ambushed in Tacoma/Lakewood coffe shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 police officers ambushed in Tacoma/Lakewood coffe shop

Angry 4 police officers ambushed in Tacoma/Lakewood coffe shop

Four Lakewood police officers shot and killed in 'ambush' | KING 5 TV | Seattle News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Local News
    PARKLAND, Wash. - Four Lakewood Police officers were shot and killed Sunday morning in what authorities called a targeted ambush at a coffee shop.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says the officers - four male and one female - were in full uniform and wearing bulletproof vests, sitting in Forza coffee shop near 116th Street and Steele Street on the east side of the Air Force base at about 8:30 a.m.

Troyer says the officers were preparing for their shift when a suspect or suspects "walked in with a handgun, opened fire multiple times and then fled the scene," said Troyer.

Troyer called it an "ambush."

"They had marked police cars, marked uniforms, there were other people inside the facility, they weren't shot, wounded or hurt or even aimed at, just the police officers were," said Troyer.

It wasn't clear whether the officers even had time to draw their weapons to return fire, Troyer said.

"This was more of an execution. Walk in with the specific mindset to shoot police officers," Troyer said.

Police are searching for a male suspect and interviewing witnesses. There were two employees and a few customers in the shop at the time of the shooting.

The Forza Coffee Shop, part of a popular local chain, is on a side street near McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma, about 35 miles south of Seattle. The shop is in a small retail center alongside two restaurants, a cigar store and a nail salon.

Brad Carpenter, founder and owner of Forza Coffee, said his staff was OK and being interviewed by police, and that his main concern was with the families of the police officers.

"I'm a retired police officer, so this really hits close to home for me," he said.

Roads are blocked around the scene. Dave Gabrielson, a clerk at Foot Mart about a block away from the coffee shop, told the News Tribune that all was quiet when he opened the store at 8 a.m.

About 30 minutes later, "All of a sudden a million cops were zooming up and down the road," he said.

The baristas who were inside the shop are "stunned and shocked, traumatized," Troyer said.

Troyer said investigators believe the officers were targeted, and it was not a robbery.

"We hopefully will have answers, but there is nothing more we can tell you," Troyer said. "That's as cold-hearted as it is."

Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor said "this is an example of the danger that police officers and deputy sheriffs and state troopers face every day."

"The person or people who did this not only harmed us they harmed the good that we can do in the community. They harmed the good that we work to do every day in the community," he said.

"This is an example of the cost that is sometimes paid by people who believe in duty and obligation and sacrifice and people who do that on behalf of the community."

"We've lost people that we care about, we've lost people I'm sure the good people in the community care about as well," said Pastor.

Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire issued the following statement about the homicides:

"I am shocked and horrified at the murder of four police officers this morning in Pierce County. Our police put their lives on the line every day, and tragedies like this remind us of the risks they continually take to keep our communities safe. My heart goes out to the family, friends and co-workers of these officers, as well as the entire law enforcement community. I offer whatever support is needed to the Pierce County Sheriff in their search for the perpetrator of this terrible crime."

Troyer said there were several active scenes that officers are working. A white pick-up truck was impounded from a parking lot at one scene and a person was taken into custody at another.

He said they are looking to see if there is any surveillance cameras that may have caught the suspect on video.

Troyer said the suspect is a black male, 5-foot-7 to 6 feet tall, 20s to 30s, scruffy appearance, wearing a black coat with a gray sweatshirt underneath, and blue jeans.

A $10,000 reward is being offered for information. Tips can be called in to (253) 591-5959 or 866-977-2362.

Prayer vigil

A prayer vigil for the officers and their families will be held tonight at 6 p.m. at Tacoma Champions Centre at 1819 E. 72nd St. in Tacoma.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

This is a very tragic, cold blooded crime. Unfortunately what is worse is the liberals will spin this incident to make it a "gun" problem instead of a crime problem.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

4. Hk you are so right. If someone there had been armed it may have had a better out come. My prayers to the families. This is very sad.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

5. A coffee shop in our neighborhood is very popular with officers. Certified CCW patrons also are in the shop at any given time. The observant officers are often aware and nod when we enter. If our shop were to have anyone suspicious, enter and start to draw on a table of uniformed officers, the plain clothes CCW Patrons would most likely intervene and the incident would be minimized.

I can only wish belatedly, that coffee shop in Washington State were occupied by the type of people in ours. Washington State should encourage more Law Abiding people to be CCW at all times. This is a legalistic, lawyer ruled nation with Career, Repeat Violent Offenders in record numbers allowed to roam among law abiding society. CCW is a proven way to Not become a Victim.

Very sad, on a variety of levels.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Very sad, on a variety of levels.
    Agreed. My heart goes out to their families.

Still...I have to ask...How could this happen? Where was their "situational awareness"? Any place I go, and I mean anyplace, I sit with my back in the corner so I can see the door. Have done this for decades. How could 4 cops be taken unaware like this?

8. Career Repeat Offender?

As is the PC attitude, Not to Prejudge, these officers in a Liberal city, were without a doubt, taught NOT to openly Profile. I would assume after this massacre, things will change. My long term association with officers in the past, involved their excellent, well honed skill at 'Profiling'.

It should never have been a source of chastisement, for Law officers to do so. One more fault of the Dystopian agenda, so popular today. Now we all will pay, as the Spin Media blames the Gun and forgives the release of the Career, Repeat Offender so likely to have perpetrated this horrendous crime..

I am afaid that the anti crowd is going to have a field day at the expense of these Officers. I certainly echo the prayer thoughts to the families and their fellow Officers. I believe tomorrow will bring answers to the questions we all have.
    Semper Fi

What a shame. I hope the BG was hit by the officer who struggled with him all the way out the door. What a shame that 4 officers were gunned down in broad daylight....sounds like they never stood a chance. I don't know about anyone else, but even though I am armed nearly 24/7, I still feel vulnerable. If a BG is determined to bring you harm, you're already at a tactical disadvantage. My prayers go up to these 4 officers and their families.

11. In years past the bg wasn't much of a marksman. They're practicing . We need to also, one never knows what is around the corner. It only takes mere seconds to have tradegy strike.

Prayers to the families and may justice be swift .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast