reloading question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading question

1. reloading question

I have been reloading for 4 years now. My wife and I prefer to shoot hard cast lead. 9mm cal. The other day my wife and I went to buy bullets only to find that we had to go to 4 different places to find a limited quantity. and the price went up almost double. So we decided to start looking into casting our own rounds. i have a lee single stage press if that means anfthing on this. my question here is what do we need in order to do this??? thank you ahead of time.

I have started casting my own bullets also and have had great results. After a little trial and error they shoot great and leave almost no leading in the barrel.

I think I spent around $65 for my setup. I got the Lee 20lbs production melting pot, a lee 6 cavity mold/handle, Laddel, flux, and beeswax.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Looks like the price went up some but this is the stuff I'm using:

Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Lee Lead Dipper - MidwayUSA

Frankford Arsenal CleanCast Lead Fluxing Compound 1 lb - MidwayUSA

Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-228-1R 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt (Long Colt) (452 Diameter) 228 Grain 1 Ogive Radius - MidwayUSA

And one last thing i didn't put in my last post is you may need a sizing die depending on the type of bullet lube you will use and how exact your molds are. I tumble lube and so far the bullets have either been spot on or just .001" over.

Lee Alox Bullet Lube 4 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

5. wow thank you that pretty much explains it all. now i know what i need

Quote Originally Posted by akratzer25 View Post
    wow thank you that pretty much explains it all. now i know what i need
    Not a problem. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions on equipment or the process. I'll try and help you out.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Casting you own is a good way to go, but check these out for about $.05 each. Pretty cheap:
    Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Remember to have ventilation in your casting area as the lead fumes are bad for you. Breathe enough lead fumes and you could lose half your mind, then the only job you could get is in politics!

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Remember to have ventilation in your casting area as the lead fumes are bad for you. Breathe enough lead fumes and you could lose half your mind, then the only job you could get is in politics!
    I've actually done some research into this and from what I've read lead vapor is only released into the air when the lead mixture is brought to a boil. But I do agree ventilation is a must. I've been using old wheel weights and the grease and crap that burns off smells lovely.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Lemme see if i can find that email address,,,,,,,,,There are some great bullets to be had from apple valley shooters supply,,,,,if i can only find the email address,,,,,great bullets,,,cheap shipping,,,,,fast too,,,,,,I WILL TRACK IT DOWN!! Just give me a lil bit
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

AAAAHHHAAAA,,, found it. [email protected]. GREAT BULLETS!!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast