Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter

I have my Glock 19 with hot rounds on my bedside table, and an 870 under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Packdaddy View Post
    I have been considering getting a Taurus Judge. One of my neighbors claims it's the best option because you can load it with 45's and 410 shotgun shells. Anyone have experience with this setup?
    .410 buckshot shells are serious UNDER-PERFORMERS!

The Judge is fun at the range and makes lots of holes, but is not a serious self defense contender.

See this here: The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    .410 buckshot shells are serious UNDEFERFORMERS!

-Doc
    Doc, IMO you need to reword your statement. .410 00-buckshot under performs in a short barreled handgun. Based on my own (admittedly) unscientific testing, they do quite well penetrating when fired from an 18.5" barrel shotgun like the Mossberg 500 HS410.

That being said, Winchesters new(ish) PDX1 .410 is designed for short barrel defense weapon, so that may change the facts concerning .410 in a Judge.

ETA: I believe in handguns and long guns for home defense. Handguns are more mobile so are more likely to be kept on/with you. But as soon as we can get to the shotguns, they'd be the primary defense weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Doc, IMO you need to reword your statement. .410 00-buckshot under performs in a short barreled handgun. Based on my own (admittedly) unscientific testing, they do quite well penetrating when fired from an 18.5" barrel shotgun like the Mossberg 500 HS410.

That being said, Winchesters new(ish) PDX1 .410 is designed for short barrel defense weapon, so that may change the facts concerning .410 in a Judge.

ETA: I believe in handguns and long guns for home defense. Handguns are more mobile so are more likely to be kept on/with you. But as soon as we can get to the shotguns, they'd be the primary defense weapon.
    The question related to use in the Judge handgun, not your 18 inch long-gun.
    Based on my reloading experience, I suspect that there is only so far one can go to optimize performance in this short barrel.

-Doc

handgonnetoter Guest
    I prefer the one of my handguns, and second would be a shotgun.

I can't believe this "EXPERT" actually suggested keeping a handgun UNDER your mattress. WTF????
    "A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor.

8. I've been over this issue more than once in my home. Since I have been unable to answer the question for myself, I likely will not be able to answer it for anyone else to a reasonable extent.

Here's my stance:
    A home is a close-in environment. Long guns are difficult to weild inside a residence and overpenetration is always a concern (even with handguns). Long guns are quite slow to bring up to a full-ready position and tend to have a slower return to target. They also tend to requrie 2 hands to operate. Given the right set of circumstances, long guns (espeically a shotgun) can give you a nice audible and visible advantage.

The handgun is a smaller firearm to weild and much faster to respond with in the home. They're also much easier for children to access and most will lock them in a small safe for that reason. Hanguns can be fired with just 1 hand if needed. They aren't as visible, but the audible is notable.

So I find myself with the dilemma of which to chose. My err on the side of caution is to have both at my disposal and to make sure that at least my pistol is readily accessible (preferably on my person) anywhere in the house. This gives me the ability to use my shotgun inside if needed and my handgun as a last resort to escape, evade, or fight for my survival.

Glock 19 on nightstand with weapon light and 32rd magazine in case I'm groggy and miss a few times!

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    [QUOTE=PIG USMC;101217]There is of course another consideration that bears mentioning. You arrive home after work or a long weekend and find someone IN your home. /QUOTE]

I have a good alarm with backup power and meens of getting the alarm call out if for whatever reason I have a super smart thief who cuts my phone lines, and a fairly large dog in the house.

Lucky me, I'd know before I ever got to my door that there was a potential threat inside of my house. IF I was the first on scene and my door/window was broken into, I'd call the police from my cell and let them know that I was standing guard outside with a gun (and tell them what I am wearing!!!!) and that nobody was going to get out of my house before the police got to my house. If I had someone other than my wife or kids with me who had as much CQB training as I have, and was also armed, theres a very good chance we'd be conducting room clearing ops to make sure Mr. burgler would never get the chance to break into enyone elses house ever again!

As far as having loaded guns laying around my house goes; only when I am home! If I leave my house, they all go into my big safe with the exception of the ones that myself and the wife are carrying.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

Land mines around the perimeter on a timer remote controlled also!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast