Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter

I think it comes down to tactics. If you intend to stay in one location, such as a bedroom, a shotgun is great. If you intend to move and clear your home room by room the maneuverability and high capacity of some large caliber handgun is best. This sits on my night stand.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

This sits next to my bed. 30 rounds of 7.62x39 soft point.

My gunsafe is a few steps away in my closet where my Moss 500 sits loaded along with at least 1 loaded handgun (usually my HK45) if needed. My alarm system starts warning beeps within 2 seconds of the motion detectors being tripped so it's highly unlikely that I'll wake to find an intruder standing over me. The wall separating my bedroom from the rest of the house is 9" of solid concrete (Fla code when my house was built) so there will be no rounds coming at me thru a wall.

I feel safe

870 loaded with #4 Buck, back of bedroom door, and G-21 on headboard loaded with a very light hollow point, both with good stopping power but not as likely to go threw more than one or two walls, in other words projectiles should not go outside your own home, we thought about a Judge, and it seems like it would be great for inside the home protection, I mean your only talking about 8 or 10 yds max so long range should not be a concern, I would still load it with #4, you still get a good number of pellets, with 410 gauge OO you only get 4 or 5 pellets, may get one if a good deal comes up

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    870 loaded with #4 Buck, back of bedroom door, and G-21 on headboard loaded with a very light hollow point, both with good stopping power but not as likely to go threw more than one or two walls, in other words projectiles should not go outside your own home, we thought about a Judge, and it seems like it would be great for inside the home protection, I mean your only talking about 8 or 10 yds max so long range should not be a concern, I would still load it with #4, you still get a good number of pellets, with 410 gauge OO you only get 4 or 5 pellets, may get one if a good deal comes up
    I almost bought a Judge but after doing some research and reading owner's opinions I changed my mind. They all seem to say the same thing - lots of fun to shoot but of little practical value unless you're a rancher and your primary targets are snakes and rabid coyotes.

Apparently the short barrel cuts the 410's velocity so much that penetration is only in the neighborhood of 3" or so with 00 buck. Might as well stab 'em with a screwdriver. Beyond 20ft you're lucky to hit anything. Granted, a face full of birdshot is likely to deter anyone but why chance it. Also, the .45 long Colt loses much of it's velocity owing to the huge gap between the tip of the bullet and the start of the barrel.

The Judge tries to be two guns in one but ends up being most effective vs pumpkins and water balloons.

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    This sits next to my bed. 30 rounds of 7.62x39 soft point.

I WANT ONE!!!
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

I would have to go with the pistol/shotgun combo. I keep a USP .40 Compact in the quick access safe next to the bed, and an 670 in the closet. But this also goes along with the tactics I have chosen.

In the event that I have nieces or nephews over I keep the bedroom door locked during the day, but they all know that if something happens at night they are to get in my room and into the closet asap. By that time my girlfriend has the shotgun and phone in hand and is dialing 911. I should note here that even the kids know what to tell the 911 operator if they should ever have to call.

I take the pistol and find an intermediate position so that anyone who would hurt them would have to go through me first. And I hold the line come hell or high water until the cops show up. The shotgun is only there for an extreme circumstance where someone would get past me. Since I live in a duplex there is some penetration concerns, but I solve that with frangible .40, and 00 buck in the shotgun.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    I WANT ONE!!!
    I paid $400 plus I added the foregrip/rail, pistol grip, sling attachment and muzzle break. That stuff can be had for around $120 depending on what you choose. I already had the red-dot and tac light/laser combo.

I've seen them online for around $350 but considering the importer's spotty reputation (Century Arms) I wanted to get up close and personal with one before I bought it.

Quite the conversation piece at the range. Fun to shoot and it's performance convinced me to add to it my home-defense lineup.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234