Range Etiquette?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Etiquette?

Range Etiquette?

So being from MS and always having access to a place to shoot on our own family farm,I have never paid a penny to go shooting somewhere. Being that my job has taken me to Shreveport LA,and being that we're off on Sundays,I found a range. So my question is,is there any set protocol that is unspoken or implied that I am not aware of? We always stay safe at home. Action clear and open unless its on the line and pointed downrange. I havent been to an actual range since my Army days. Looking forward to going shooting this Sunday. Any comments,suggestions? Do I show up with my trusty pistola in the bag or concealed( my ccw is good in LA),ammo in a bag or just boxed? I may be a redneck but I at least want to put my best foot forward. LOL
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Ask

Most public ranges will have a published list of local rules...
    Such as don't pick up brass that isn't yours
    Don't go forward of the firing line to pick up brass
    Never turn around with a loaded gun or the action closed
    If there is a Range Master, listen for and follow commands.

Ask whoever you pay for access for their rules.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

a quote from Andy Griffith comes to mind..... "Goober! Get than gun outta your mouth."
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

I usually pay for my range time/booth, then proceed to go out to my vehicle and bring in my firearms. This is for the local indoor range here in Panama City... For some reason, I'm just not comfortable with walking into a gun store with a firearm in my hand. :)
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

RF, I've seen your posts and you're a level-headed redneck. You just be your thoughtful, rational self and it'll all be good. Start with the obvious - handle yourself and your weapon safely - and look around. You'll pick up the "tenor" of the range. There will probably be someone to greet you going in, and has already been posted, there'll probably be a list of range rules. I've both worn my firearm in, and cased it, so whatever. They'll tell you if they have a preference, and nicely, too. Have a great time.

Nice problem to have, it occurs to me: "Well I got my own range, and so I'm not sure how to act on a public range" !!! I'm VERY envious.

Thanks y'all,I've been sittin in the motel room doing some dry fire drills,watching Fox News,JJ dont be envious,range time alone is great when I'm working up rifle loads but other wise its more fun to share the range. I got the address to the range in the Garmin and I'm dead set on going Sunday. It sure beats sitting around this motel tomb. OOPs Room. Merry Christmas to all,and remember the REASON for this blessed season.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by rugerfan.64 View Post
    Thanks y'all,I've been sittin in the motel room doing some dry fire drills,watching Fox News,JJ dont be envious,range time alone is great when I'm working up rifle loads but other wise its more fun to share the range. I got the address to the range in the Garmin and I'm dead set on going Sunday. It sure beats sitting around this motel tomb. OOPs Room. Merry Christmas to all,and remember the REASON for this blessed season.
    Be triple careful with dry firing drills in a motel, the walls are not bullet-proof and they will want a lot of money for a new TV.

Unload and clear. Put the magazine well away [but where you can get to it if the door is broken].
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

Quote Originally Posted by rugerfan.64 View Post
    You're absolutely right about what fun it is to "share the range". I just got back from another defensive handgun class at Frontsight, Nevada and have mentioned that t he comraderie amongst the shooters (and the instructors) is one of the key attractions of the whole deal. Have fun. Merry Christmas to you and yours, brother.

10. Quote Originally Posted by rugerfan.64 View Post
    So being from MS and always having access to a place to shoot on our own family farm,I have never paid a penny to go shooting somewhere. Being that my job has taken me to Shreveport LA,and being that we're off on Sundays,I found a range. So my question is,is there any set protocol that is unspoken or implied that I am not aware of? We always stay safe at home. Action clear and open unless its on the line and pointed downrange. I havent been to an actual range since my Army days. Looking forward to going shooting this Sunday. Any comments,suggestions? Do I show up with my trusty pistola in the bag or concealed( my ccw is good in LA),ammo in a bag or just boxed? I may be a redneck but I at least want to put my best foot forward. LOL
    There is frequently a sign as you come into the parking lot telling you whether or not you can bring a loaded firearm beyond a certain point . Some ranges in Louisiana will not allow you to bring a loaded firearm onto the firing line, but will allow it if you have a Concealed Carry Permit. (I used to live in Louisiana before coming up to Montana).

this is the range i belong to. enjoy

Mississippi Gulf Coast Rifle and Pistol Club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast