Do not do this..... Remember your training.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not do this..... Remember your training.

Do not do this..... Remember your training.

Posted: 5:28 p.m. Dec. 29, 2009 | Updated: 7:57 p.m. today
    After 3 break-ins, Detroit man calmly shoots, kills intruder, cops say
    By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Comments (330) Recommend (27) Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share Tigh Croff’s home in Detroit had been broken into three times in the last week.

So when he found two men in his backyard on the block of Manistique at 12:30 a.m. Monday, the east-side resident — who is licensed to carry a gun — gave chase, Detroit police said.

One man got away. The other stopped running, turned around, put his hands up and, according to a police source, taunted the 31-year-old homeowner.

“What are you going to do?” Herbert Silas of Detroit reportedly asked, his hands still in the air. “Shoot me?”

“Absolutely,” Croff told investigators he replied before pulling the trigger, the source said. Silas was hit once in the chest, killing him.

Silas, 53, was unarmed when he was fatally shot, Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Maria Miller said today.

Croff now faces charges of second-degree murder and felony firearm, Miller said. He is set to be arraigned at noon Wednesday in Detroit’s 36th District Court.

Detroit police spokesman John Roach would not discuss specifics of the shooting. The phone number listed for Croff’s home was disconnected.

UH... Whoops... Forgot the part about the person being a threat before shooting...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Well I know he shouldn't have shot, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. One less thug monkee in the jungle. Guess he was surprised when he heard the shot go off. I'll bet his last thought was Holy *****, HE DID shoot me!
    I remember watching a video of a guy who was harrassing an old man and his family. The old man told him don't come on my porch or I will kill you. The little thug walked onto the porch and was prancing around and holding his arms up like he was a champion, and was taunting the old man. All of a sudden, BLAM! The old guy smoked him right in the gut. Mr Bad*ss Thug fell to the ground screaming, "You shot me, you shot me!!! Well, no *****. He started gasping for air and died within about 20 seconds. Yeah, you gotta use judgement when you shoot, but I can't help but sit there in amazement when these little thugs get shot, while taunting their victims, just knowing he ain't gonna shoot. But then.......BANG! Some idiots just need shootin'.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

yeah some people deserve it alright... but that doesn't mean you have the right to do it even if they may deserve it.. the shooter was not afraid for his life in either case. some jerks just really need to be taught a lesson that will stick. maybe then they won't end up getting killed.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

"Remember your training" as in:

All guns are always loaded!
    Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
    Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
    Always be sure of your target!

7. lol I think he meant don't pursue offenders because you are in no danger if YOU are pursuing. Also, don't shoot unarmed people that have their hands in the air...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Yeah, that's what he meant but it wasn't the training the shooter had. LOL

There was a case several years ago here in NC. A father stayed homr from work one day becasue his young son was sick. He heard noise and voices coming from his garage, grabbed a .22 rifle, and went to investigate. There were 3 young men (late teens, early 20's) carrying tools, sporting goods, etc from the garage to their vehicle. He confronted them with the rifle. They ignored his order to halt, continued to carry away his possessions, and arrogantly asked what he was really going to do about it. They were not armed.

He shot 2 of them one fatally, and the other permanantly crippled. He was charged and tried, but a sympathetic NC jury acquitted him of all charges.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    There was a case several years ago here in NC. A father stayed homr from work one day becasue his young son was sick. He heard noise and voices coming from his garage, grabbed a .22 rifle, and went to investigate. There were 3 young men (late teens, early 20's) carrying tools, sporting goods, etc from the garage to their vehicle. He confronted them with the rifle. They ignored his order to halt, continued to carry away his possessions, and arrogantly asked what he was really going to do about it. They were not armed.

He shot 2 of them one fatally, and the other permanantly crippled. He was charged and tried, but a sympathetic NC jury acquitted him of all charges.
    Sadly, the value of the stuff they were stealing was probably a lot less than the cost of his attorey fees, lost time from work and the mental distress to himself and his family. Don't understand why people will employ lethal force against another person for tangible items.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Sadly, the value of the stuff they were stealing was probably a lot less than the cost of his attorey fees, lost time from work and the mental distress to himself and his family.

gf
    Absolutely correct. It was a long, drawn-out trial, and he was represented by one of the areas most prestigious (read:expensive) law firms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast