Could/should a CCW help a Police Officer? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Could/should a CCW help a Police Officer?

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    I'm sure i'm going to get flamed for this but in this one rare instance one of those damn awful CCW badges might actually be somewhat useful....
    Yes, of course. Agreed. Because a criminal would NEVER obtain one.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

3. Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    I knew there would be some sarcastic comment about that. Yea, because LEO's have the vision to read exactly what it says from a distance under pressure & stress, and not just see a badge and continue on with their scan.

Take that!
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Macklin View Post
    At least in Kansas a private citizen is required by law to assist a LEO who asks for that help and the citizen has the full and same legal protection if they do what the officer says.

2-2407. Assisting law enforcement officer. (1) A law enforcement officer making an arrest may command the assistance of any person who may be in the vicinity.
    Umm, methinks something is amiss.

2-2407
    Chapter 2.--AGRICULTURE
    Article 24.--PEST CONTROL

Kansas Statutes
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post

Never say "never". I've seen a lot of antics by criminals in my day. If criminals would go so far as to obtain clothing identifying them as LEO, I wouldn't put it past them to obtain items like the badge in question.

I say the badge is a VERY BAD idea. In some jurisdictions it's illegal, and simply having one is a criminal act.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

6. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Never say "never". I've seen a lot of antics by criminals in my day. If criminals would go so far as to obtain clothing identifying them as LEO, I wouldn't put it past them to obtain items like the badge in question.

I say the badge is a VERY BAD idea. In some jurisdictions it's illegal, and simply having one is a criminal act.

gf
    I don't think you saw his sarcasm on light..? lol
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

I don't think you saw his sarcasm on light..? lol
    + 1
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

For one of the more unusual incidents in which a private citizen saves and/or assists in saving the life of an LEO, read the odd, sad tale of David Zaback.

"Man Killed In Robbery Attempt", Seattle Times Newspaper, Feb 3, 1990

A would-be robber who was shot in a battle with a King County police officer and a clerk at a Renton Highlands gun shop died last night at a Seattle hospital, police said.

"Officer In Store Shootout Identified", Seattle Times, Feb 4, 1990

King County police yesterday identified the officer who fired on the would-be robber of a Renton Highlands gun store as Tim Lally, a patrol officer with the Maple Valley precinct and an 18-year veteran of the force.

"Inquiry Ordered In Man's Death At Gun Store", Seattle Times, Feb 20, 1990

King County Executive Tim Hill has ordered an inquest in the death of a man killed in a shooting in a Renton gun store Feb. 3.

Don't anyone get their britches all in a knot. A coroner's inquest is pretty standard fare.

"Inquest: Officer Didn't Fire Fatal Shot -- Jury Rules In Slaying Of Gunman In Renton", Seattle Times, May 9, 1990

An inquest jury deliberated only 35 minutes yesterday before finding that a King County police officer had reason to believe he was in danger when he shot a Renton man during a holdup in February.

The Renton District Court jury also ruled 5-1 that Officer Timothy Lally did not fire the shot that killed David Zaback, 33. Both Lally and a store clerk fired at Zaback.

The story even shows up on Snopes.

snopes.com: Gun Shop Robber
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

9. Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    For one of the more unusual incidents in which a private citizen saves and/or assists in saving the life of an LEO, read the odd, sad tale of David Zaback.
    "The inquest will aid in deciding weather or not to file charges?"

I hope that is standard procedure, from the information given in all of these articles it appears as though it was a good shoot.

"The inquest will aid in deciding weather or not to file charges?"

I hope that is standard procedure, from the information given in all of these articles it appears as though it was a good shoot.

They featured the incident on the television show "A 1000 Ways To die". Towards the end of the segment, they showed actual video surveillance of the incident.

Glad to hear that he had mental illness, because I'd hate to think that your average gun owner would even dream of armed robbery much less a gun shop full of people.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

11. Wow! Tough one to grab hold of. Lots of variables to consider about the officers reaction. Has the shooting begun? Will you be a new distraction for the officer? Where are other civilians and traffic located? If the conflict escalates into gunfire, I would probably try and assist. My lack of expertise- Not a great shot- would preclude my just shooting away, unless the officer is hit or unable to return fire. I would certainly like to hear from active and past police personnel. Their response could greatly help in resolving this issue.
    the pro

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast