Training Kids... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Does anyone (especially from SC) know if the state offers hunter safety courses? I would like to take him next season (plus I haven't been in a long time, and yes, I'm using him as an excuse!)
    You can get info here, http://www.hunter-ed.com/sc/ he can take an online test or click on See a list of classroom courses. On that page click on Hunter Education Courses Calendar There are several through out the year offered in Greenville.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo View Post
    Then, when I thought I had covered everything, she says "and the most important is 'Never walk in front of the gun'."
    Your daughter tells it like it is! :D Children usually have the best explanations.

We have three little ones and I have an FFL, so guns go in and out of our house all the time. They are just as excited to see what's in the long boxes as I am. My oldest is 8 now and I went to Hunter's Safety with him when he was 7. The course here is long and he didn't last to the end, but it was worth my money and time to take him for the reinforcement of the safety rules and education we both got! He'll get to go again when he's older to actually get the card, and dad wants to go with him then. Our kids have a BB gun that they can shoot with mom or dad supervising, and the 8 year old and 6 year old have both shot black powder and our .22, again with complete adult supervision. Our 3 year old is a bit young to shoot anything yet, but she already knows not to touch any guns but her own wood ones :) They get to watch us clean our guns and ask any questions they want. We go over rules of safety every time we have a gun out, and I think starting young helps develop a healthy and safe attitude toward firearms.

I have a 3 year old son. I've been working on firearms safety with him since he was around 36 months old. Due to the nature of my work, I have a lot of firearms and keep several of them in the home for protection. My son sees the pictures of daddy hunting, competition shooting, and dressed up for work. He once asked me what "that" is, pointing to my shotgun. I told him that it's my shotgun that I use to hunt birds. After explaining that I hunt birds so we can eat them, he understood. On another occasion he saw a picture of me shooting at the range. Pointing to my pistol, he again asked "daddy what's that?" I explained to him that it's my pistol that I use for work and at the different shooting places (he watched a competition when he was 2). We went toy shopping and he saw a pump action toy shotgun and a semi-auto toy pistol. He asked if he could be like daddy. I explained that if he wanted to be like daddy, he would have to treat the toy guns like daddy treats his real guns. He agreed, so the teaching began. First things first, he will have to ask daddy, mommy or grandma permission to play with his toy guns. (Kind of hard to get to them on his own, they're locked up in safe with the real ones :)) Once he has the toy guns in his possession, the first thing he does is open the action and check if it's loaded. He's then allowed to shoot at a toy bird hanging from the roof in daddy's work room, or at target set up in the corner. The guns don't fire, though they can be "loaded" with shells and cartridges, and do expel the cartridge or shell when "fired". If he "plays nice", then he's allowed to play until he's done. If he "makes boo boo", then he'll have to lock up the toy guns for another time. So far he's been pretty good at "playing nice". Only saw him "make boo boo" once. Another time he came to me crying and said that he "shot piggy by mistake". Once he busted me for leaving my paddle holster on my bed. I was in the kitchen making lunch. (Pistol was in the gun safe under the bed) My son walks up to me and says "daddy, come please". He takes my hand and leads me to the bedroom. Pointing to the holster on the bed, he says "daddy make boo boo, you naughty". I thanked him for being observant and he got a cookie, while daddy didn't get an extra piece of apple pie for "being naughty". I'm now careful to put away anything firearms related to eliminate any confusion the little guy.

I think he'll be ready for Hunter Ed when he's 7. ;)

That's awesome guys - thanks for the support!
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Just had another thought about the kids--take them to gun shows or other firearm events with you--of course follow the rules of the show or event, but the shows I've been to allow kids in. Also take them when you go shooting once in a while if it's possible (safety first). We usually go without them, but every so often take them with us and one of us shoots while the other is on kid control duty. We go where nobody else is shooting while we're there with the kids. Bring something you can help them shoot if they want to. Ours each have a pair of those Peltor Junior earmuffs--fit great--I've seen pics of them on infants and they expand enough to fit small adults also--not heavy or too bulky, so the kids actually keep them on.

Took my daughter to the range with me last week. She proudly wore her new safety glasses and headband foamy-earplug thing. After the first 6 rounds from the .357, she added my gun muffs to her accessory list. I managed to get 18 rounds of .357 and 12 rounds of .223 before she had had enough (her hearing is very sensitive). She said for now she just wants to stick with the BB gun, and could she stay home the next time I go shooting. She's going to have to come with when my wife and I both go, so I'll probably just let her watch a video in the car and let her kind of get acclimatized to the noise. I'm sure she'll eventually warm up to it, but I also think she has a newfound respect for the power. Her eyes got as big as saucers when she saw that .357 jumping around in my hands. She asked if that was the most powerful gun there was. When I said "No, there are lots that are more powerful" I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head!

Yeah, shooting with kids is kind of like fishing with kids. As long as you remember you are not there for you, you are there to help them/spend time with them/etc., it's not that big a deal if the day gets cut short or things don't go as planned. Good job getting her out, though! Every kid is different, so just do what works for them to make it a good experience.

I grew up with guns and learned how to handle them safely. I've always had many guns and my kids learned when they were very young about them and how to handle them. Never had any problems with my kids and guns. Now they have kids of their own and the grandkids get to see and hold grandpa's guns.

My daughter asked me the other night who taught me about guns. I told her I guess it was my dad. Even though he wasn't around much because of work, on the rare occasions he was off, we often went shooting. He also gave my brother and I Daisy Red Ryders. He told us we had to treat them like real guns and if he caught us being careless with them we would lose them for a while. They spent a fair amount of time in my Dad's closet;) , but we eventually got the hang of it. The beauty of low powered air guns is that you get to practice safe gun handling, and when my brother shot me in the back it just stung like $%^& ! But at least I was still able to give him a good beatin' in return:D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast