Training Kids...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Kids...

Question Training Kids...

My children are small - 2 and 6. I recently started 6 year old son how to shoot (currently with a Crossman BB pistol - will graduate to a .22 after time), and I will do the same with my daughter, when she gets a little bit older. We always start of with the rules before shooting - pointing in safe direction, checking safety, check if loaded etc...

I was wondering if anyone has any insight to teaching children about guns / gun safety / technique etc...

Thanks!
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

In Another Era

I taught my boys gun safety at an early age, having been given stellar advice by a union ironworker who was also a deacon in his church. He said, "First, take away their curiosity so they won't do something terrible when you aren't home. (If you think back to the news stories about kids getting dad's handgun out from its hiding place in a shoebox way up high in the closet and the terrible consequences that ensued, you can see his point.) I put hearing protection on them and went outside at dusk to fire my Ruger Security 6 with my assistance. The muzzle flash at that time of evening was impressive to them as was the power of the round expending in their hands. (Of course, I was holding on to the weapon with them.) Then we set down at the coffee table and unloaded and loaded, unloaded and loaded the revolver. Being a Ruger, I could let them dry-fire it. (BTW: at that time, I only had revolvers because I could show them how to open it, empty it and see clearly that there was NO round in the pipe. Only when they got older and knew more about guns did I purchase a semi-auto.) So, they learned how determine if a gun was loaded or not, how to operate it and in the process, I took away their curiosity while teaching them gun safety. They felt included in the process of gun ownership and the serious responsibility that "goes with the territory". The rule was this: Any time you want to get the guns out, just come and ask. We'll get them out and sit here at the coffee table and handle them. Now, if you want to play with matches, we'll take the kitchen matches out in the backyard and set them off, but we don't want to burn the house down do we?

So they were taught that to treat any and all guns as loaded along with the other rules of handling a gun. The last thing I did was go through scenarios such as "Someone's stealing your bike..." or "A man is running up to our picture window with a machete and a knife making death threats..." They were taught when they had the right to defend themselves and when to call the police. After all, calling 911 is usually nothing more than a report about something the police will do more reporting about; they cannot be everywhere all of the time. Said best and repeated often: "911. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Safety is number one. Answering ALL questions is number two. Last, let them use a gun that fits their hand.
    "A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" 1924
    Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996
    [email protected]

I don't have any kids yet. I do intend to teach them early about guns. I never remember not owning a gun. But Dad taught us safety and we knew not to handle them without supervision. I agree that safety is first, then take the curiosity out of them.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

When my kids were little and I got a new firearm I would show it to them, let them hold it, check it out and we would talk about gun safety and how from now on it would be loaded, even if it was not, so they were never to touch it again without asking me first. That way their curiosity was delt with at the beginning. I never had any problems with them and firearms. Of course the other thing was that they did not have a lot of unsupervised time on their hands either.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

My daughter is 6 and has begun expressing an interest in guns. She desperately wants to come to the range with me, but I told her she has to demonstrate she knows the rules first. She immediately got out a piece of paper and pen and said "OK, tell me the rules". So I began to list off always treat the gun like its loaded, keep it pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger, etc. Then, when I thought I had covered everything, she says "and the most important is 'Never walk in front of the gun'." Think of how different life would be if everyone, bad guys included, followed that one. Anyway, she's memorizing the rules and soon we'll begin practicing in the yard with the Crosman BB pistol.

I can't really add much of value to all of that.We all seem to be on the same page as far as our kids go.I think the key is education,and,like you all said,take the curiosity out of the picture.My sun is 15 years old now.He has used several of my guns up to this point,all with supervision.I had a gun of one king or another all of his life,just about.I used to keep a shotgun under my bed.He never messed with any of them.I taught him early on the difference between real guns and play ones,and the importance and responsibility of handling a real gun.And I told him I would break his arms if he messed with them without my permission.Whether or not I would have doesn't really matter;he BELIEVED I would,at least enough to not want to chance it.I never hid them from him,though.And he never messed with them.Like I said,education.Like so so many other issues we face,the answer is simple.Be a parent.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

ton of bricks demonstration

well I'm still too busy and young for the kids thing yet, but I've spent a bunch of time teaching kids about guns. I have several jobs as gunfighter/reenactor and spent most of my summers teaching kids about gun safety and guns. Curiosity is a huge part of the problem. I always tied down the six shooters as little kids were always wanting to pull them out and look at them. I'd pull them aside and go over rules and demonstrate everything. Then make them repeat the process as they handled the gun. As said above, safety is number one. I make everyone say the safety rules over to me. The curiousity needs to be taking care of, but I found it very helpful to demonstrate the reasons for the rules about guns. Its something as I kid I really did not fully grasp I think until I was old enough, and its something a bunch of youngins tend to nod their head and say yes about, without a clue why. I always did demonstrations of the sheer power and damaging force of a gun. Some places I'm restricted to blanks, but even blanks ream home the danger of misuse. I've found that by going through each rule and then nailing it home with a demo or discussion of why its important (at kid level), they tend to get more out of the discussion. Ripping apart a solid tin can at 10 feet tends to have meaning of danger with respect. I think going from bb to .22 and up is a good choice. I was exposed to the guns and the aspects of safety but never releaved of the curiousity until later at a friends house where I shot a .50 S&W. That point on is history.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Man, it's nice to have a bunch of people agree! I'm glad my Dad had guns, and passed on solid ethics, ground rules etc to me.

(queue up "I'm proud to be an American...)

Now, especially after hearing from ya'll, I feel proud passing the legacy down to my kids.

One thing too, when I was young I really, really wanted to go hunting. That is really what started my Dad teaching gun safety. At the time, we lived in GA, and my Dad, brother and I went to a Hunter's Safety course at the library - I think it was state sponsored, because we got a certificate afterwards that allowed me and my brother to get a free "kids" hunting license. I can't remember the all details - I was only 8. :)

Anyway, that safety class - I still remember it! It was very two nights of video, instuctors, and handouts. I remember, the game warden was even there, and there were rifles that we all could handle. Thinking back, I can't believe they had guns in a library... LOL Shows how much has changed huh?

Does anyone (especially from SC) know if the state offers hunter safety courses? I would like to take him next season (plus I haven't been in a long time, and yes, I'm using him as an excuse!)
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

11. Some time ago Remington had a good tape they sent with new gun. The tape was very good on basic for kids. I made my kids watch it wtih me over and over. Then to BB guns 22 and up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast