What made you decide to carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you decide to carry?

Exclamation When I was stationed in Alaska

We had one knucklehead in our unit that was in definite need of psychological counseling.

One day while he was listening to Neo Nazi Propaganda, He decided to make a list of those he hated. He then decided to start making terroristic threats based on that list. I was informed by the AFOSI and the Unit leadership that I was on that list because I enforced the policies that pissed him off and that was that.

Alaska at least made carry easy!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

We [I] don't carry guns so we can go to dangerous places, we [I] carry a gun because danger too often comes to our safe places.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

because i watch too many movies

I started carrying because I realized all the bad guys were already carrying! That and being too old to fight and too fat to run still works.

Why I carry...

I'm new around here but thought this was a good thread to get my feet wet with...

I didn't grow up around guns. I was an anti until I started doing research and learned the meaning of common sense (when I got further away from my 18th birthday). I've also developed rather libertarian political views over time. So I'm a newbie. I took a safety class and a self-defense law class, bought my first handgun last year (Springfield Xdm 9mm).

Now I'm addicted. I've done some open carry at times too. Can't wait to get my next gun...

Enjoy!

I had a License to Carry Firearms in Pennsylvania since 1974 but when I moved to Michigan, about 13 years ago, you had to know someone to get a CPL as they call it here. When the economy really started to go south I made the decision that it was time to start carrying again and got my CPL.

I've been around firearms all my life... long enough that I purchased my first on my 12th birthday with money I'd earned pulling weeds. I walked into the store by myself, picked it out and gave the cashier my $20. and walked out... no big deal. I've always known we had a right to keep and bear arms but lately I'm beginning to think it's more than a right... it's approaching a civic duty.
    "If guns cause crime, all mine are defective" -Ted Nugent

A number of reasons... First, we live on a 5 acre property so my nearest neighbor is about 100 yards away, too far to hear cries for help... and being semi-secluded, we're a prime target for invaders... at least invaders that are stupid enough to go into a farm house in North Idaho. The first thing I did was buy 000 buck for my .410 shotgun that I've had since childhood. Then last month I got a S&W 40cal Sigma for my birthday. As far as carrying, I have a friend that has carried for years (I didn't know this until recently, that's how discreet he is) and he "brainwashed" (haha) me with all the reasons why someone should be armed. It all made sense so the 16th of this month I'll be taking the class. Idaho is a "Shall Issue" state so I'll be carrying by end of February. :-)

9. Quote Originally Posted by lplettie View Post
    I purchased my first on my 12th birthday with money I'd earned pulling weeds. I walked into the store by myself, picked it out and gave the cashier my $20. and walked out... no big deal. I've always known we had a right to keep and bear arms but lately I'm beginning to think it's more than a right... it's approaching a civic duty.

I really do envy you. Growing up in the days where you could order out of the sears catalog..lol

I'm not being sarcatic- I really do!
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

After pulling into my driveway coming home from work one night, I found my nephew and his girlfriend running up to me from the sidewalk. They told me that we need to get in the house fast and did not feel comfortable to tell me why at that moment. All they wanted to do was get in the house, off the street before they come back.
    I will NEVER forget the look in their eyes when they told me that they were just held up at gun point moments before I pulled in. That look convinced me to carry. If it could happen to them in my front yard, it can happen to me. That is why I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by lplettie View Post
    ... it's approaching a civic duty.
    I believe it is a civic duty and always has been!

“A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.” — Robert H. Boatman
    All our lives, especially during our younger years, we hear that the police are there to protect us. From the very first kindergarten-class visit of "Officer Friendly" to the very last time we saw a police car - most of which have "To Protect and Serve" emblazoned on their doors - we're encouraged to give ourselves over to police protection. But it hasn't always been that way.

Before the mid-1800s, American and British citizens - even in large cities - were expected to protect themselves and each other. Indeed, they were legally required to pursue and attempt to apprehend criminals. The notion of a police force in those days was abhorrent in England and America, where liberals viewed it as a form of the dreaded "standing army."
    — Peter Kasler
    “My pistol is more than just security. Like an Orthodox Jewish yarmulke or a Christian cross, it is a symbol of who I am, what I believe, and the moral standards by which I live.” — Finn Aagard

The concealed gun to an armed citizen is the constant reminder of a dangerous world—a symbol of the ever present need for caution and maintaining situational awareness at all times.
    I've been around guns all my life and was very rarely far from a firearm of some sort. I obtained my CHL to aquire the legal right to carry on my person.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast