Did you celebrate with gunfire? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you celebrate with gunfire?

When I lived in Huntington Beach, CA, a young boy in Santa Ana was hit on top of the head by a bullet that presumably came from the "nice people" in Santa Ana firing their weapons in the air on New Years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes;105279
    I have heard a couple stories where houses have been hit by stray gunfire (not vertical falling bullets). The problem is if you fire into the air the bullet only falls at about 120mph unless fired at a low angle.

[url=http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy05/phy05041.htm
    Vertically Shot Bullet Landing Speed[/url]
    Terminal velocity is to what you are referring. Check out the Mythbusters site. They did a story on it.

Yes, a bullet fired directly vertical will not reach a desending velocity fast enough to kill you due to friction and the bullet tumbling through the air. The problem is a bullet fired on less than a 90 degree angle, causing a trajectory, will not be effected by gravity enough to slow it down, and will therfore kill you. The military uses that technigue of "dropping" rounds (indirect fire) to hit enemy not visible because of obstructions.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Night shoot at the berm successful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    at the berm at night...zombie gun lights blazing...in the words of the immortal hank hill...

Yup!!!
    yup!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    yup!!!
    I'm glad that worked out, I thought about you guys at the stroke of midnight wishing I had a berm.

... yup!!!

I didn't, but is sounded like VietNam around here. I was listening to the scanner, and the "shots fired" calls were stacked up so high they eventually just quit resonding to them.

In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

I built a small platform to launch some fireworks in my backyard. We shot most of the fireworks off before midnight because we were bored. At midnight, I shot most of the spent fireworks boxes off the platform. My wife laughted at me because on New Years Day I was using the press she got me for Christmas to reload the rounds that I shot the night before. My only response was, "What good is a bullet that has already been shot?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ga9mm View Post
    ... on New Years Day I was using the press she got me for Christmas ...
    Now that's a good Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Now that's a good Woman!
    Nope, that's a great woman!!

10. Remember Sadam Hussein Pumping his 'Monkey' AK-47, into the air while his adoring crowds cheered around him?

Not me- but had gunfire all around. (Ammo is just TOO expensive to waste!)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast