Your CCW and Ammo Preference w/regards to Self Defense - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your CCW and Ammo Preference w/regards to Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    The NYSP did have some good and bad with the 9mm G17.The real answer is shot placement,I believe Glock made a sweet deal because they approached my dept back in 2007 but we could not go ahead because of the ammo cost plus the new holsters.Here is what I know about the G38 since I used it on a hunt.The G38 45 GAP 200 grain Gold Dot round is easy to shoot not loud like the 45 ACP.I did shoot a doe at 15 yards,the bullet hit just above the front leg and took off running in the field I was able to get it on the run with my 30-30 leveraction which I shot about 90 yards away.When gutting out the deer the bullet came out,no mushroom it was hard to tell because the 170 grain 30-30 destroyed the heart and lungs with a big exit hole.I had another tag and hunted later that day shot a coyote.This shot spun him around distance was about 20 yards I fired another shot and hit above the front leg.I climbed down from my tree stand and fired a final shot so the coyote wouldn't suffer.Two bullets were recoverd the third did exit.This was an adult coyote about 45-50 pounds.The bullets don't expand,I think a +P version may help.I think a 185 grain would be a better choice in the 45 GAP.I would stick with are current weapon a G19,the G38 is under 10 shots that means less ammo.Glock is making some very attractive deals now on the 45 GAP, prices on ammo is lower than the 45 ACP now.
    First off, I wouldn't hunt any large game, such as deer with a 45 ACP or GAP, unless it was an emergency or survival situation. Just not enough hard muscle and bone penetration in a wild animal to do the job. Stopping human targets is very different from a deer. If you want to use a Glock for bigger game, go with the G20 in 10mm. I've killed several large boars with the 10mm. I have heard of deer being taken with it, but I always take my 44 mag or a suped up 45 Colt for deer.

Next, they really can't do a +P of the 45 GAP, because it's already a +P load. They had to squeeze powder into the shorter case and use faster burning powders to get the GAP to perform the way it does. They just can't do much more. It is already a high pressure cartridge, with a spike in the pressure curve measurement. The 40 S&W was the same way, but the GAP even tops that pressure curve. So basically, the GAP cartridge is very close to maxed out and I wouldn't look for much of a +P load. That's one reason the 45 ACP guys like to reload the 45 ACP. It's a little more versatile and can be pumped up a notch or two. Even Buffalo Bore makes a heavy 45 ACP load or two. However, the GAP load is what it is. A purely self defense cartridge that gets close to the 45 ACP standard loads, but had to be at it's max potential to do it.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

3. Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    First off, I wouldn't hunt any large game, such as deer with a 45 ACP or GAP, unless it was an emergency or survival situation. Just not enough hard muscle and bone penetration in a wild animal to do the job. Stopping human targets is very different from a deer. If you want to use a Glock for bigger game, go with the G20 in 10mm. I've killed several large boars with the 10mm. I have heard of deer being taken with it, but I always take my 44 mag or a suped up 45 Colt for deer.

Next, they really can't do a +P of the 45 GAP, because it's already a +P load. They had to squeeze powder into the shorter case and use faster burning powders to get the GAP to perform the way it does. They just can't do much more. It is already a high pressure cartridge, with a spike in the pressure curve measurement. The 40 S&W was the same way, but the GAP even tops that pressure curve. So basically, the GAP cartridge is very close to maxed out and I wouldn't look for much of a +P load. That's one reason the 45 ACP guys like to reload the 45 ACP. It's a little more versatile and can be pumped up a notch or two. Even Buffalo Bore makes a heavy 45 ACP load or two. However, the GAP load is what it is. A purely self defense cartridge that gets close to the 45 ACP standard loads, but had to be at it's max potential to do it.
    I have a G20 & S&W 1006 in 10mm and shot deer with a Double Tap 135 grain and like it's performance.I have a S&W Performance Center 45 Colt that I bought back in the 1990's,I only had a box of 255 semi wadcutters to hunt with,bad choice for deer.

I Believe The TOPIC was "Your CCW and Ammo Preference w/regards to Self Defense". Not What is Good for Deer Hunting or what is better the .45 Gap or the .45 ACP...
    I'm Sure there are discussions on this site for that...
    Stay Safe, Captain.

Primary carry is a Kimber CDP Ultra II bearing Speer 45ACP+P 200gr gold dots.

6. Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK9 View Post
    I Believe The TOPIC was "Your CCW and Ammo Preference w/regards to Self Defense". Not What is Good for Deer Hunting or what is better the .45 Gap or the .45 ACP...
    Stay Safe, Captain.
    These are all self defense guns we are using.Some carry a single action 45 Colt.I carried a G19 which is just a 9mm but have killed deer ,racoons while on duty so there is also a role these firearms play.Sometimes there is a little more involved with a self defense gun.

7. Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK9 View Post
    Stay Safe, Captain.
    Are you a moderator?

24/7 Pro Compact 45acp or XDM 40S&W loaded with "Tactical" Hydroshocks

jtg452...NO, I'm not a Moderator... I didn't know one had to be a Moderator to have Sense. BUT, I'm all up for CHANGING the Topic of a Discussion... Hunter Won, in My Notes, I've Shot 26 Wild Pigs with Handguns in ..22LR 9mm, .45acp, .38 Spl, .357 Mag and .44 Mag... Add Much more for feral Cats, Raccoon... Deer, feral Goat, a Cow with broken leg (lol) etc... BUT, this WAS...WAS a conversation on what is your Concealed Carry Weapon and Ammo.... I'm not attacking anyone, Just wanted to keep it on Topic, Because its a good topic and dosnt need to get Muddied with fringe elements.
    We can all argue all day long what Calibers We PREFER... But the Discussion was on What We Actually Carry... I prefer a .9mm or .45 acp to Carry, but on the Day I had to Shoot someone with a Handgun ...(I didn't have my Rifle) I had a Beretta 84 .32 acp.. You Know What? It worked Just fine.
    I think I saw a Forum Topic somewhere on Handgun hunting.....
    God Bless and Stay Safe... Captain

Kahr PM9 with Speer Gold Dot 124g JHPs (have also carried 115g)
    Ruger LCP with Remington Golden Sabers (only carry ammo tested so far)
    Smith and Wesson M60 with Winchester .38 +p JHP - can't remember bullet weight (125g I think)

EDIT - Not all at once.

I carry either my Colt Government MKIV, Series 70 or my Les Baer Premier II 1911's loaded with Winchester PDX1. This ammo was tested and chosen by the FBI as their primary load (although in .40 cal.) and if it is good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
    NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast