Cleaning a Handgun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cleaning a Handgun?

1. Cleaning is NOT overrated if you want your gun to do it's job

The claim for WD-40 (not mine, by the way, jut what i've heard) is that it displaces water. Literally forces water out. So, if you carry IWB and sweat a lot, you may consider spraying the trigger group with some WD-40. Personally i use Rem-oil for the job, also for the rails, the barrel, and (in my Beretta) for the rotating lug and its track down the frame.

I know Rem-oil won't gunk up, but slowly evaporates. I also know it won't melt the hard rubber or plastic grip panels. WD-40 can do that to some plastics. Every month or so, even if i haven't been to the range, i break down my carry gun and lightly oil everything using a cotton patch sprayed with Rem-oil.

But i always clean a gun after its been fired. Unlike some of the other opinions, i personally will not leave a weapon dirty; I have been know to be up well past midnight cleaning guns after a day at the range, once the kids are in bed. A dirty weapon can fail in accuracy, in cycling, feeding, or in firing. Reliable performance when you need it, means keeping your weapons clean, IMHO.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Cleaning? What's that? :) Does a couple of passes with a bore snake count?

BTW, the words "WD40" and "Firearm, gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun, revolver" (you get the picture) have no place in the same sentence. Save the WD40 for squeaky hinges.

To the original poster; you mentioned wiping down the exterior of the pistol, you also need to run a couple of dry patches through the bore.
    "Having a gun and thinking you’re armed is like owning a piano and thinking you're a musician". ~Jeff Cooper

Hey smith934: Answer to your first question on boresnakes--the answer IMO is YES. I do not wait for thousands or hundreds of rounds to be fired and on my 22s I fire CCI minimags, which are as clean firing as you can get for the money IMO. I look in that bore and it is as clean as a jag or a brush and a mop and and patch. and a heck of a lot easier. Interestingly, there have been many comments about some firearms that have "sharp" edges around the slide and resulting cuts and bruising as you poke and preen with brushes and patches--nevere have such a problem with a boresnake

Talking Cleaning weapons

I was always taught to clean after every practice!

Like Mr Cooper, Carry! Carry! Carry! Keep it close and learn it well. If you do not carry then you will not learn. Everything is washable. If you get too much oil/cleaning solution then keep wiping it it stops weeping.

To not carry because you are a NOOB is a bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey smith934: Answer to your first question on boresnakes--the answer IMO is YES. I do not wait for thousands or hundreds of rounds to be fired and on my 22s I fire CCI minimags, which are as clean firing as you can get for the money IMO. I look in that bore and it is as clean as a jag or a brush and a mop and and patch. and a heck of a lot easier. Interestingly, there have been many comments about some firearms that have "sharp" edges around the slide and resulting cuts and bruising as you poke and preen with brushes and patches--never have such a problem with a boresnake
    Actually it wasn't a serious question, but l appreciate your backing me up. I shoot precision rifle (F class) and am not a fanatic about cleaning. I don't use the boresnake on the precision rifles. That said, when I do clean (200 rounds generally) I always fire a fouler before I put the weapon back in my safe. My carry Kimber has gone as many as 2K rounds with nothing more than an exterior wipe down and a couple of boresnake passes with no failures. Same for my Glock. When I do clean I do it right though.

My AR's run great as long as they're kept wet. Have used them on weekend classes of 500 to 1K rounds with no cleaning and just keeping them wet.

The only firearm I have that demands a through bore cleaning is my .17 HMR. 50 rounds and accuracy goes to pot.
    "Having a gun and thinking you’re armed is like owning a piano and thinking you're a musician". ~Jeff Cooper

Exclamation I shoot f class as well

Quote Originally Posted by smith934 View Post
    Actually it wasn't a serious question, but l appreciate your backing me up. I shoot precision rifle (F class) and am not a fanatic about cleaning. I don't use the boresnake on the precision rifles. That said, when I do clean (200 rounds generally) I always fire a fouler before I put the weapon back in my safe. My carry Kimber has gone as many as 2K rounds with nothing more than an exterior wipe down and a couple of boresnake passes with no failures. Same for my Glock. When I do clean I do it right though.

My AR's run great as long as they're kept wet. Have used them on weekend classes of 500 to 1K rounds with no cleaning and just keeping them wet.

The only firearm I have that demands a through bore cleaning is my .17 HMR. 50 rounds and accuracy goes to pot.
    Please post a sub MOA target and join the sub MOA club in social groups. We need more riflemen
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Please post a sub MOA target and join the sub MOA club in social groups. We need more riflemen
    Done and thanks for the invite.

For handguns and rifles I use Butches Bore Shine and Wipeout (for bad copper fouling). For ARs it's Slip 2000 solvent and lube and keep them wet.

If I've been shooting lead in a handgun (45 ACP mostly) I use mercury to get the lead out. I know some people run in fear from mercury but I've been doing it for years and I'm too damn old to worry about it, besides it works better than anything.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234