Questions for the ladies - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Questions for the ladies

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    207
    Regardless of what is chosen, if there is a young child in the house, then the gun should be locked up when not on person.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I'm a woman and I carry 2 semi-automatics: Colt 1911 .45 and Beretta 92 SB Compact 9mm. I see no reason to carry anything less powerful or smaller. People are no less threatening or dangerous just because I may be smaller than a man. I feel that I am able to mitigate harm to my person or to my family with what I carry.
    Ok, as a woman, how do you carry these? Forgive me but as a guy I am either wearing jeans or dress pants and I always wear a belt... I have to imagine the ladies have such a wide range of clothing that the holster is a challenge.

    As for locking a gun up, IMO it may as well be unloaded also. I am just uncomfortable with a locked up gun. I taught her and her sisters gun SAFETY and I never ever worry in my house. however the younger brother is my ex-wifes child and he has not been taught as much about guns as my children so I am worried about safety when not worn.
    looking at one of these safes but undecided LG Outdoors: Gunvault Deluxe Mini Gun Safe With Electronic Keypad Md: GV1000DLX, GunVault Gun Safes & Accessories
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    I would go for the biometric one, should cut down on access time....and it's just cool.

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I would go for the biometric one, should cut down on access time....and it's just cool.
    I looked at those; a fear of dead batteries or electronic failure. Am I overly paranoid? Yes I am it's my daughter.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  6. #15
    I'm all for woman carrying, but I think that she should be the one picking it out. I would take her to a gun shop and let her see, feel, and shoot(if you can rent) the ones she is interested in. How she is going to carry is going to be her call as well, and will vary depending on how she is dressed. There is a myriad of holster and carry systems out there, but at the end of the day it will be her that is carrying the gun, not you. You might want to tell her about the different types of holsters, pocket books, bellybands etc. out there.

    Have you started teaching your 8 year old gun safety yet?

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    Ok, as a woman, how do you carry these? Forgive me but as a guy I am either wearing jeans or dress pants and I always wear a belt... I have to imagine the ladies have such a wide range of clothing that the holster is a challenge.

    As for locking a gun up, IMO it may as well be unloaded also. I am just uncomfortable with a locked up gun. I taught her and her sisters gun SAFETY and I never ever worry in my house. however the younger brother is my ex-wifes child and he has not been taught as much about guns as my children so I am worried about safety when not worn.
    looking at one of these safes but undecided LG Outdoors: Gunvault Deluxe Mini Gun Safe With Electronic Keypad Md: GV1000DLX, GunVault Gun Safes & Accessories
    I, too, wear pants and use a belt. I carry in a holster on my hip; if that's not practical then I carry in a fanny pack. I don't wear dresses or skirts. I won't wear something that would preclude my carrying. There is no reason to compromise my safety for fashion.

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Springer M-14 View Post
    I'm all for woman carrying, but I think that she should be the one picking it out. I would take her to a gun shop and let her see, feel, and shoot(if you can rent) the ones she is interested in. How she is going to carry is going to be her call as well, and will vary depending on how she is dressed. There is a myriad of holster and carry systems out there, but at the end of the day it will be her that is carrying the gun, not you. You might want to tell her about the different types of holsters, pocket books, bellybands etc. out there.

    Have you started teaching your 8 year old gun safety yet?
    I agree, but as a father I am pushing her to carry. She has no problem with guns as I said, she just doesn't want to 'deal with' carrying. So I am looking at ideas for her. I am trying to sell her on the idea of carrying and her only objection is she just doesn't want to lug around a gun and she doesn't know how she would wear one comfortably. I plan to rent some and let her pick, I just want some ideas I haven't thought of.

    As for the 8 year old, he isn't my child, he is my ex-wifes child. He knows a little about gun safety but not near what he should IMHO. I would not leave my gun on my night stand with him around like I would with my own kids around.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I don't wear dresses or skirts. I won't wear something that would preclude my carrying. There is no reason to compromise my safety for fashion.
    Ahh, that's my problem. She is 21 so she has to make the fashion statements some times. plus she has to dress up for work - no jeans. So I am still at a bit of a loss.
    This has become more challenging the more I think about it.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  10. #19
    I don't know what type of job she has, or how she has to dress for work but there is always an option. For deep concealment maybe thunderwear or smart carry. There are quick opening day planners, and attache cases that are made to hide a handgun if she works in an office type setting.

    Have her check out this website:
    Cornered Cat

  11. IIRC, Sig came out with the P238, which doesn't have a decocker, but has a safety. As always, it comes with everything Sig has been known for. Accuracy, reliability, and ergonomics. It's small enough to fit in a pocket/wallet holster, so if your daughter has a pocket, she's good to go. A .380 sub-compact is not really going to be that uncomfortable, or hard to conceal. I can conceal my Sig P239 quite easily with an IWB holster, and a t-shirt, and that's considerably both bigger, and wider than the P238.

    As for gun safety, if your daughter is safe with guns, then she should be able to put her gun away properly, so that it doesn't present a risk to the 8yo. I completely understand your concern for your daughter's safety. No question about that. I do believe that she should be the one to decide if she wants to carry or not. If she's not committed to being a carrier, than what's to say she won't just leave the gun at home? Ultimately it should be up to her 100%, regarding whether or not she wants to carry, what gun to carry, and how to carry it. The only thing left for you should be showing her all the different types of holsters, and demonstrating that carrying is not as uncomfortable as she may think.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast