Questions for the ladies - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the ladies

Ultimately it should be up to her 100%, regarding whether or not she wants to carry, what gun to carry, and how to carry it. The only thing left for you should be showing her all the different types of holsters, and demonstrating that carrying is not as uncomfortable as she may think.
    I guess what I am trying to do is get some feedback so I can present her with new ideas in guns and carry methods.

She is still my baby, so anything I can do to help her choose the right combination that makes her feel better about carrying I want to do.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Quote Originally Posted by Springer M-14 View Post
    I don't know what type of job she has, or how she has to dress for work but there is always an option. For deep concealment maybe thunderwear or smart carry. There are quick opening day planners, and attache cases that are made to hide a handgun if she works in an office type setting.

Have her check out this website:
    Cornered Cat
    They also make purses with built in hidden access for guns. My wife and daughter carry this way. Carrying in something off your body is not the most secure way but it is better than not having it at all.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I wish there were a forum here for WOMEN who carry, stating their height, weight, body shape, weapon, method of carry, and any other relevant/helpful information (ladies, this is anonymous so no need to hedge about the true statistics! [grin]) It would save the rest of us a lot of trial and error (and the requisite collection of holsters!).

I am lady, 5'6", 130 lbs, and slim (think 'beanpole' with a slight amount of muscle definition; I wear size 8 jeans and my hips don't flair out much...oh, and I have average sized hands). I have successfully carried and concealed two 9mm weapons so far:

1) HK USP 9 compact
    2) Kahr MK9.

I have the following holsters:
    a) Blackhawk Serpa for USP9c: fabulous holster, great retention system (release button), impossible for me to conceal; great for at home or in the yard when concealment is not an issue
    b) Fobus Compact Roto holster for MK9: another fabulous holster, great retention system (pressure), very difficult to conceal; great for at home or in the yard when concealment is not an issue
    c) Blackhawk leather IWB for USP9c: uncomfortable for me (I tried 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions, and I have a flat belly), decent concealment though with roomy pants

The holsters that I use everyday for successful concealment of both weapons is a OWB leather holster by Don Hume (721 OT, one for each gun). I wear them in the 4-5 o'clock position, where the curve of the bottom to the waist hides the presence of a gun. My CCW instructor, a woman of small stature and slim build (5' and under 100 lbs?), wore this same kind of rig (not sure if it was the same brand) with her Glock 19. I should have tried her method first, I guess.... Anyway, I can conceal in jeans and a T-shirt that comes down to the top of my back pockets, provided the T-shirt is not too fitted. Cooler weather concealment is a snap because of the added layers.

I am still on the lookout for a good IWB rig, and am considering the Crossbreed Mini-tuck for the MK9, which I am wearing more and more.

The Kahr guns are a great option, and have incredibly smooth DAO triggers. It took quite a bit of research before I got comfortable with the idea of a striker-fired pistol (which is why I went with the HK first ... it has a hammer, safety, and decocker), but I have come to love its size, its shootability, and its quality of manufacture. They feel absolutely wonderful in my hand, and my MK9 shoots very comfortably--even for range days of 100+ rounds. Research the P9, K9, and PM9.

The HK USP9c is also a fabulous gun (DA/SA). With 13+1 in a very concealable package, it is totally reliable and extremely comfortable to shoot. Again, very comfortable to hold in the hand. Recoil is minimal. If it weren't for the fact that I'm not even aware of carrying the MK9, I would carry this one more often.

I wear jeans most every day, but if your daughter wears skirts or dresses, a thigh rig for a small-sized gun would be easy to access. Never tried one, just considering what I would wear in that instance (I prefer on the body carry vs. off the body).

All posters who say you should take your daughter to choose the gun are right: despite researching dimensions, weights, capacities, etc, there is nothing like finding a gun that FITS your hand. I thought for sure I was going to come home with a Sig 239, but while the grip was right, the way the weight of the gun was distributed front to back and top to bottom just didn't sit right with me. So it was with great surprise that I left the store with an H&K.

I think you asked about safely securing the gun when she isn't wearing it. I have a couple of the following:
    Secure-It Standard Pistol Security Box 8-1/4" x 6" x 1-3/4" Steel Black - MidwayUSA

I use them at home when guests are in the house, and since it has a cable I also use it to secure the gun in the vehicle for those rare times when I enter gun-free zones. Very economical and handy!

Best of luck,

I thigh carry when I wear a dress....I got it from here:

Gun holsters designed to conceal your gun in a concealed carry holster system
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Great stuff.

Right now we are looking at either a Ruger LCP or a Bersa Thunder. Still stumped on the carry method. She is not a big fan of off body carry. Her mother had her purse snatched in a parking lot by a guy hanging out of a car window driving by. The thought of someone taking her gun is not comfortable.

I think she likes the super tuck with jeans, just not sure what she will do in slacks/sweats/ or dresses yet.

We are getting there, keep the great ideas coming!!
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    I wish there were a forum here for WOMEN who carry, stating their height, weight, body shape, weapon, method of carry, and any other relevant/helpful information (ladies, this is anonymous so no need to hedge about the true statistics! [grin]) It would save the rest of us a lot of trial and error (and the requisite collection of holsters!).
    I don't know how this is done but you can always talk to Luke McCoy, the site's owner, about setting one up. I think it's a great idea! I'd join!

Luke: View Profile: lukem

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I don't know how this is done but you can always talk to Luke McCoy, the site's owner, about setting one up. I think it's a great idea! I'd join!

Luke: View Profile: lukem
    I just sent this message to Luke. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    Great stuff.

Right now we are looking at either a Ruger LCP or a Bersa Thunder. Still stumped on the carry method. She is not a big fan of off body carry. Her mother had her purse snatched in a parking lot by a guy hanging out of a car window driving by. The thought of someone taking her gun is not comfortable.

I think she likes the super tuck with jeans, just not sure what she will do in slacks/sweats/ or dresses yet.

We are getting there, keep the great ideas coming!!
    Hey CaptAmerica

What part of Florida are you from. I have a nice selection of handguns including a Keltec P3AT with pocket holsters, IWB, and ankle setups. I also have a female co-worker that has a LCP with a below the belt inside the waste band holster. If you are anywhere near Clearwater I'd be willing to meet up. She could mess with the different configurations and that may help her decide. Most likely she'll end up with several different methods of carry depending on how she's dressing that day.

My grandma just bought a 2" hammerless revolver and really likes it. I think she plans on getting one of the carry purses to carry in.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Hey CaptAmerica

What part of Florida are you from. I have a nice selection of handguns including a Keltec P3AT with pocket holsters, IWB, and ankle setups. I also have a female co-worker that has a LCP with a below the belt inside the waste band holster. If you are anywhere near Clearwater I'd be willing to meet up. She could mess with the different configurations and that may help her decide. Most likely she'll end up with several different methods of carry depending on how she's dressing that day.

My grandma just bought a 2" hammerless revolver and really likes it. I think she plans on getting one of the carry purses to carry in.
    I would love to meet up, but I am up near Jacksonville.

I agree about several methods of carrying. We have discussed that. I am not a big fan of that. To me it is better to have the same thing in the same place every time, but as my daughter put it I am CDO... that's like being OCD but in alphabetical order.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    I would love to meet up, but I am up near Jacksonville.

I agree about several methods of carrying. We have discussed that. I am not a big fan of that. To me it is better to have the same thing in the same place every time, but as my daughter put it I am CDO... that's like being OCD but in alphabetical order.
    Bummer I was just up in Jacksonville a couple weekends ago for a friends graduation party.

I agree about being consistent with were you carry. I carry 98% of the time the same way but there are times were my attire limits how I carry.

Hopefully your daughter can find someone that has a few of the setups she is thinking about. Trying them out would be a huge benefit.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast