New Guy w/ ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy w/ ?

1. New Guy w/ ?

I would like to buy a .45 gun but dont know much about guns. I was in the millitary and had training on the M-16 and the 9mm but thats about all I know. I want to be able to conceal it but not feel like a little toy in my hand. The 9mm was very easy to handel and felt good in my hand. I also dont want to pay alot either somewhere around $500. Thanks for the help.

Thumbs up

I have the Glock 37 .45 GAP, try the 37,38,39. They may cost around $550.00

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

Quote Originally Posted by atluga1 View Post
    I would like to buy a .45 gun but dont know much about guns. I was in the millitary and had training on the M-16 and the 9mm but thats about all I know. I want to be able to conceal it but not feel like a little toy in my hand. The 9mm was very easy to handel and felt good in my hand. I also dont want to pay alot either somewhere around $500. Thanks for the help.
    Sounds like a Glock would fit the price category. Close enough and certainly worth it.
    I want to be able to conceal it but not feel like a little toy in my hand. I don't think any .45 would feel like a toy in your hand. Not even a Kimber CDP ultra II, which is way out of your price category.
    Not trying to hijack this thread but why not a .40 cal? More available, less expensive and more rounds in your gun.
    I am ready to accept any comments on that last statement.

5. Not sure just something I always heard I guess was to get a .45 . But I did just read that the Atlanta PD and a surrounding county are either using a .40 or switching to a .40 gun to be able to compete with the bad guys out there.

6. It was the Dekalb County PD and the are buying 1200 Smith&Wesson .40. Thats all the info in the article.

Your best bet would be to go to a few local gun shops and actually pick up a few. See which fit your hands and which do not. In the $500 range, you can't go wrong with a Glock, Springfield XD, or S&W M&P. If you can find a local friend that has a few different pistols see if they will go to the range and let you try them. I know I'm always more then happy to take someone shooting.

As far as 9mm vs .40 vs .45 they all have pluses and they all have draw backs. Some will like one were others will swear by the other. I personally think the .40 is a snapper round then the .45, were as the .45 seems to have less muzzle hop. So I decided to go with the .45. You on the other hand may feel the opposite.

You could also check your local ranges and see if they rent guns. Rent the ones you think you'd be interested in buying and see how they fell.

Hope this helps, welcome to the site, and thank you for you service!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

All of the gun ranges that I've ever heard about or been to that are metro-Atlanta and north of I-20 rent guns. There's one in Marietta that I went to once a few years ago, and they had an employee/instructor go with you if you wanted to walk you through everything.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Sounds like a Glock would fit the price category. Close enough and certainly worth it.
    I am ready to accept any comments on that last statement.
    Just to get you going CapGun.. Why not a 9MM??? The OP has shot a 9MM before, and it was good enough for the Military..
    I love the .45 myself, and I am not knocking it.. a 9MM IMHO is big enough to do most jobs needed..

atluga1 - as suggested, try a few, then decide..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

The Ruger P345 is very thin and a concealable .45. The only thing I dislike about mine is the heavy trigger pull, common to all Rugers. The double-action feature is nice and I like the decocker feature. It's not your "guvment .45" clone. Some like a 45 that is a little more traditional.
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Just to get you going CapGun.. Why not a 9MM??? The OP has shot a 9MM before, and it was good enough for the Military..
    I love the .45 myself, and I am not knocking it.. a 9MM IMHO is big enough to do most jobs needed..

atluga1 - as suggested, try a few, then decide..
    I agree.

9mm is an excellent round and if you need the minuscule 10,000 of an inch expansion difference between a 45 and a 9mm to make a difference, you need to train more on your marksmanship. One will have more control of the recoil from a 9mm, hence you will be able to reacquire your target faster if you do miss or don't strike any vitals the first time. Also the ammunition is far cheaper and you can carry a lot more rounds.

Do your job and the bullet will do its.

Bigger is not always better, in fact some of the 40 and 45 calibers have too much penetration. What do you think is going to happen when you hit a guy square in the chest with a round shown to have 15 inches of penetration? It has the potential to go through him and hit an innocent bystander.

If you do decide on a 40 or 45, do your ballistics research and go for rounds that test out around 12 inches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast