1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun?

1. I hate to jump to conclusions, but I have..

I'm assuming that you're new to firearms in general. If not I appologize.
    I'm assuming that you've never fired a shotgun or a pistol. If not I apologize.
    I'm assuming that you're trying to base your decisions on youtube videos, the media, and forums.

Again, I apologize for assuming, but its just what I see.

My best recommendation is for you to take a FIREARMS SAFETY course. This will familiarize you with different types of firearms, and help to ensure you don't shoot yourself, a loved one, or put a hole in your wall.

Talk to GlockFan he's an instructor and could probably give you some great advice, and an idea of what course you should take.

After your safety course, you should rent a handgun/shotgun from a range and shoot them. Decide what you feel more comfortable utilizing, and then take the appropriate operator course:

IE: Handgun course or Shotgun course.

You can be 'self taught' if you'd like, but NRA prices are fair and extremely valuable IMO, and they will help you develop a safe skill much faster than trial and error on your own...

My 2 cents...

Mossberg has some great shotguns in your price range. And, some of thier guns come with a long (for hunting) and short barrels (better suited for HD). I would suggest the shotty would be an ideal first gun. My first gun was a single shot New England 20 gauge. I used it for bird hunting mostly... but for the first couple years of my marriage, that gun also served as our HD gun. #4 shot makes a pretty nasty hole in things! Even after I bought my first handgun, I loaded snakeshot in the first 2 rounds for several years. Now it's a fully loaded mag of JHP with one in the chamber!

But, it's my belief that everyone should own at least one shotgun! :)

Best of luck in finding your first gun!
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

I've been leaning towards the S&W Sigma Series .40 caliber SW40VE

S&W SW40VE .40SW Black/Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $299.00

Right now its on sale for $299 plus a $50 MIR or 2 Free Magazines. I live about an hour away from budsgunshop so i could order online and pick it right up from the store and be back home in no time.

I went to a pawn shop and held one today, it felt good i would say, about right for my hand size, but i don't like the texture; it needs a rubber grip.

I've read too much about them and have heard very little bad about them, with many good things. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    ... I've been leaning towards the S&W Sigma Series .40 caliber SW40VE. Any thoughts on this?
    I have no personal experience with the Sigma, but have a friend who just purchased one. So far, he LOVES it! :)
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)

Since its my first gun and shooting it for recreation would be its 2nd use, would buying something like a like a .22 LR handgun be an option for home defense? I have seen them kill, but obviously they lack the stopping power of something like a .45 ACP.

Sure would be cheap to shoot on the weekends at the range though.

Walther P22 .22lr 3.4" Black for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $314.00

Since its my first gun and shooting it for recreation would be its 2nd use, would buying something like a like a .22 LR handgun be an option for home defense? I have seen them kill, but obviously they lack the stopping power of something like a .45 ACP.

Sure would be cheap to shoot on the weekends at the range though.

Walther P22 .22lr 3.4" Black for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $314.00
    Great assassin bullet.. right to the back of the head... However, in most home invasions, your not going to be sneaking up behind the target.. I wouldn't bet my life on it for home defense .. Better than nothing, but wouldn't be my 1st choice.. IMHO..

I do find it humorous that you went from a Shotgun to a .22 LR.. You hit both end of the spectrum on barrel size!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I was just kidding a bit. I am sure it would be fun to have a cheap gun to shoot but i am looking to get something with a little stopping power. I pretty much determined i will need at least a .380 but am trying to find 9mm or .40 S&W.

Like i said before, am leaning towards the S&W Sigma series 40VE

... like I said before, am leaning towards the S&W Sigma series 40VE.
    I texted my buddy last night... he has the Sigma SW9VE. He said, "I've shot all my life and it shoots better than anything I have ever owned (including the Colt Commander that I owned). Shot one inch groups at 15 yards; my brother's Sig P226 shot a little over three inch groups! None of us could believe how smooth it was! No jams, even with hollow points. It’s the best Pistol I have ever owned! Let's go shooting!" :)

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    ... in most home invasions, I wouldn't bet my life on a 22 for home defense .. better than nothing, but not my 1st choice.. IMHO..
    And, I definitely agree with Hoot! 22's are fine for target practice at the range and saving money on ammo—but, probably not the first choice in self defense!

I agree with what Hootmonsccy said. If you need to clear your house a shotgun is to long and is easy to grab by the BG. A handgun can be held close to the body in the high ready position making walking from room to room easier. Also if the BG is holding a family member close it will be next to impossible to hit him with a blast from a shot gun with out hitting your loved one. With a handgun and proper training you can be more "surgically" accurate with your shot.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

11. on the .22 question, in most self defense situations, killing power isn't that important, stopping power is. You want a weapon that puts the BG on the ground fast. It doesn't help much if your assailant dies 10 min after he is finished removing your liver with a spoon........
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast