1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaynelson View Post
    ... And, I definitely agree with Hoot! 22's are fine for target practice at the range and saving money on ammo—but, probably not the first choice in self defense!
    Ditto! A 22 caliber hand gun or rifle might be hard pressed to stop a drug-crazed thief on the rampage from continuing to come at you once they break down the door or the window and they're inside your home. I believe that a shotgun is the best for HD. I'm saving my pennies to purchase one. Good luck and stay safe!
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 01-30-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Damn sneaky typos!

OP was for home defense...period.Given that, a 12 gauge pump shotgun with an 18'5" or 20" barrel does the job better than anything else. As far as a a BG grabbing it when you approach him, you shouldn't be moving toward the BG. You should be firmly ensconced behind your bed and the shotgun is well out of his reach. Any of the major brands will be of good enough quality for the purpose. I have a Mossberg 500, but a Remington 870 or an H&R or any other would do just as well.

But i want a handgun now

Guys should have talked me into a shotgun before i wasted all my time doing handgun research

Although this interests me a little as it would be easy to carry my shotgun around if i had to transport it.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41019

5. Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    But i want a handgun now

Guys should have talked me into a shotgun before i wasted all my time doing handgun research

Although this interests me a little as it would be easy to carry my shotgun around if i had to transport it.

Mossberg JIC GREEN TUBE 18.5" CRUISER for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $339.00
    That's all good and well as a 'bug out' gun. I think a handgun is the way to go buddy.

Just e-filed my taxes, so i will be making a purchase when it direct deposits, this web site took less than a week last time. :)

As I have said before I think a complete battery should have at minimum a handgun a shotgun and a good battle rifle. I have both pump and a semi auto shotgun in mine. There are times when a shotgun is the best choice but if a BG is holding my wife, kids or anyone for that matter at gun or knife point I am not going to blast away with a shotgun. In that case the handgun makes a lot more sense and seeing as how we are talking about the "if you only have one what would it be" then because of that fact the handgun is my choice. Not to mention the fact that I am not going to be taking the shotgun into the movies, grocery store or shopping at the mall. So again I want them all but if I had none and I could only get one right now then it would be a handgun hands down.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Have you considered the Kel-Tec PF-9. They are often available under $300 new and Kel-Tec makes good guns.

HOME DEFENSE? 12 gauge, double 00 buckshot.

In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Have you considered the Kel-Tec PF-9. They are often available under $300 new and Kel-Tec makes good guns.

Well i really had my eyes set on the 12 gauge or a .40 cal handgun.

I had it narrowed down to the Glock 22 or the S&W 40 VE

Also with handgun ammunition being as scarce as it is around here i picked up a 50 count box of Winchester 180 GR. full metal jacket target/range ammo for $17.99 after tax at Walmart. Its almost impossible to find handgun ammunition at a reasonable price around here and this was about the last box of 40 S&W with there being nothing else left in handgun ammo period besides like 2 boxes of something in the 357 cal. Finding 9 mm ammo around here is expensive and rare.

So either way i was hoping to end up with something in the .40 S&W caliber based on all the research i have done.

Will be waiting for my taxes to hit any day now in my bank and probably take a drive to Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    BTW thats one gun i haven't seen, have mostly been doing research on guns that i see a budsgunshop so i can pick them up myself an hour away, but that gun looks good if it came in a 40 S&W version, wonder if it does?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast