1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun?

1. Friends, Could you please guide me to the right home defense shotgun load for a 20 Gauge.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Friends, Could you please guide me to the right home defense shotgun load for a 20 Gauge.
    A yellow one.
    Serious, I would look at the turkey loads. Lower recoil then the 12 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Friends, Could you please guide me to the right home defense shotgun load for a 20 Gauge.
    The concensus (including Ayoob) seems to be #3 Buck - 20 .25 cal pellets @ 1200+ FPS.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

HK4U,

IF i was ever in the unfortunate position of having to TRY a "head shot", it would NOT be with ANY handgun/shotgun.

i would use my M1 Garand or my Model 7400 Remington in .243.

once more, a handgun at NIGHT is NEARLY worthLESS, as you cannot be sure of seeing the sights if it's DARK.
    (yes, my P6 came with Tritum sights, but they are NOT suitable for anything but "low light conditions".)

yours, TN46

6. Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    itg452,

the #4Buck, 2 3/4", 12 guage, shells have 27 pellets. out of my shotgun at 15 yards, i get a 36-40" (nearly round) pattern.

#4 buck does NOT usually penetrate BOTH sides of interior home walls, with enough remaining velocity to cause serious injury or death.
    otoh, #4 Buck will "ruin your whole night", if you get hit with a few of those "blue whizzers".

yours, TN46
    I tried them but my 1100 likes the #1 Buck better.

At 17 yards (the maximum long range shot I'll have indoors at the house-that's the length of 2 rooms and a hall), I can keep all 20 pellets from a Federal 2 3/4" plated #1 Buck in the black of a Hoppe's 100 yard rifle target and the 16 ball unplated Winchester and Remington loads pattern even better!

I vote for the shotgun. I have a Rem 870. Wait until you save enough money to get the handgun you want which will give you more enjoyment when out at the range. In the meantime you can protect yourself, family and property now with the 870 which will give you home defense options. Good luck

wolfhunter Guest
    12Ga. Supernova with 5 00 Buck

itg452,

OBVIOUSLY, you should use #1 Buck then. - all weapons are "just a little" different.

yours, TN46

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    HK4U,

IF i was ever in the unfortunate position of having to TRY a "head shot", it would NOT be with ANY handgun/shotgun.

i would use my M1 Garand or my Model 7400 Remington in .243.

once more, a handgun at NIGHT is NEARLY worthLESS, as you cannot be sure of seeing the sights if it's DARK.
    (yes, my P6 came with Tritum sights, but they are NOT suitable for anything but "low light conditions".)

yours, TN46
    YouTube - Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD

Holy thread revival batman!

I must say that i wish i had a M1 Garand to go for in any situation; wouldn't have to worry about missing at close range.

Either way i need to see that movie, i was going to rent it the other day but i forgot.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast