Bug out bags?

Thread: Bug out bags?

1. Bug out bags?

AKA Bail out bags.

Do you have one? What does it contain?

Thinking of putting on together, and looking for help for a SHTF type of situation

I was thinking of the following which would be stored in a shed off site in bags ready to go, with the ideal method to be transported by vehicle.

Handgun/Ammo - on belt not in the bag - for protection
    22LR Rifle and ammo for varmint hunting if it came to that.
    Waterproof matches & fire base
    as much water as possible
    MRE's (meals ready to eat) as many as possible (weight wise)
    Level I first aid kit
    Field knife (large as possible) all purpose from chopping firewood to /cleaning game or fish
    sleeping bags (2) and/or small 2 person tent.
    Water purifier *small* with plenty of replacement filters
    Fishing equipment
    (2) 5 gallon gas cans filled

The plan would be to get everything loaded into the vehicle(s) and move out to a lake in the area (because of food/water)

I haven't gone off the deep end, just been reading alot and found out that Bug out kits were common (?) and wanted to be prepared lol

You forgot Jerky. They sell it at all the gunshows for a reason you know!
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

The following site has a whole lot on bug out bags.

The Big List -- Contents
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

My wife and I do have a large BOB each, in addition to some modular type boxes of food, camping gear, sleeping items, water containers, etc to Bug Out in the truck with the camper shell, IF I have to Bug Out. However, I have a slight variance to the Bug Out Bag, that I keep in my vehicle on a daily basis, known as the Get Home Bag.

I live in the sticks in a rural area, fairly well secluded from the majority of business and traffic. I intend on bugging in at home and my goal is to make it home. I am basically retired early in life, and work part time at a gunsmith shop that is about 25 miles away from home and at the borderline of a metro area. I always carry a CamelBack Hydration pack with a 100 oz bladder filled and ready. My Get Home bag is a messenger bag that contains some basic gear as listed:

3 -16 oz bottles of water
    Canteen cup w/ instant coffee, tea bags, Hot Chocolate mix, sugar
    2- MRE Main Course pouches
    6- MRE Snack/ Desert Pouches
    6-Nature Valley Granola Bars
    4 small boxes Raisins
    Glock 21 and 4 spare mags w/ plastic Glock Combat Tupperware holster and mag pouch for belt
    Blackjack Knives AWAC Sheath Knife
    Spyderco Military Folder
    Leatherman Multi-tool
    Surefire L4 LumaMax light with Spares carrier
    Small Katadyn pump water filter
    Fire pack w/ water proof matches, Bic Lighter, Strike Force Fire starter, fire tender
    Small roll duct tape / Sewing kit
    Level 1 and 2 first aid pack in zip-lock bags
    Mil-spec Poncho
    2 - 2 sided Casualty / Space blankets
    100 feet of para-chord
    Extra Underwear/ socks

I always have in my truck, my extra Paramedic Trauma Bag, 4 Gallon water jugs, 2 wool Blankets, Extra food, 2 tarps, basic hand tools and 50 extra rounds of 12 ga buckshot and slugs.
    In addition, should I have to leave my vehicle at work, I have seasonal "blend in" type clothing, hiking boots and boonie hat in the vehicle. Note that my get home clothing is basically faded black jeans, dark green t-shirt and dark grey boonie hat. It's subdued, but doesn't give off a G.I. Joe appearance that might trigger suspicion in any way. My messenger bag is a Timbuk 2 X-Large, in Hunter green and coyote tan with the reflective markers removed. If things look like they are getting rough and totally chaotic for the way home, I have a Benelli M1-Super 90 Semi-Auto Combat shotgun and a 50 round bandolier of buckshot and a few slugs to throw over my shoulder.

Notice that I put somewhat of an emphesis on water bottles, canteen cup and hot drink items in addition to my camelback bladder. I have found that to occassionally stop and heat water in a canteen cup over a little folding stove and trioxaine tabs and make coffee, tea or hot chocolate, can keep you going. It not only provides a little refreshment and energy, but also helps to keep morale up and warm you up in cold weather.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Some things that can be included:
    some canned food
    a pot to cook in or boil water. Some heavy duty tinfoil works well too.
    some flint and steel
    char cloth
    rope
    flashlight
    first aid kit and personal items
    some money and coin

My bag is actually two, the top list of items are in a backpack, the bottom list (separated by a space) are in a small canvas carry bag. These bags accompany me in the car most of the time and are designed to give the necessities (not the comforts) if the immediate need to "walk out" occurs.

The goal is to cover things that would allow the gathering of food and purification of water, plus not get eaten by bugs (the mosquito netting) for a few weeks or a month. Food can be scrounged, water is often better to clean yourself (the purification system, which is the biggest item in the pack with perhaps the exception of the survival rifle).

I figure since most of my area is relatively urban but with lots of water, fishing is a better alternative than hunting, although I wanted the rifle for small game if available.

The plan would be that my wifes pack would contain vital clothing and food stuffs for a few days. If taking the vehicle much more would go. There are of course a few weapons that need to go with the first set of bags. Of course it is a work in progress and changes nearly daily.

Water Purification Device
    Bottle for WPD
    Mosquito netting
    Shirt- T-shirt and hat
    Pocket Axe with assorted folding tools
    Folding shovel
    .22 Survival Rifle w/ 500 rounds ammo
    Light weight Scope for above
    Sheathed Machete
    Folding Knife with serrated blade
    Scandinavian Knife in plastic sheath
    Signal strobe
    Maglite & Mini Maglite w/diffuser for lantern
    Magnesium fire starting tool
    “Dry Tinder” fire starting tinder
    Waterproof matches
    Pocket fishing rod
    Reel for rod
    Spool fishing line
    Three (3) auto fishing contraptions
    Assorted hooks and sinkers
    Leather Gloves

2 – 100 ft heavy duty rope
    500 ft paracord
    Tent stakes
    Multiple rope tighteners
    Multiple carabiners
    Four thirty round .223 magazines
    Four nine mm magazines
    Extra ammo as weight allows
    Amateur Radio Communications gear (as weight allows)

One item that many tend to over look is bungee chords. Wally world usually has them in the automotive section and you can buy a a huge assortment in a big plastic container for less than 10 bucks. You can strap stuff to your backpack. Use as an emergency belt or sling. Tie down a tent, lean to, tarp or poncho.

I use them to do some light camping in my truck with a regular camper shell. Throw a tarp over the camper and tie down to the rear fenders. Then stretch the tarp out to the rear of the truck and camper shell making a covered area outside. Use two poles or small trees to attach the outter edges away from the truck and increase your camping area off of the back of the truck. Also leave the back tailgate open and use bunge chords to stretch mosquito netting over the open tailgate area. Gives you fresh air and more room. We camp this way in the more hidden and private areas. We take our two little muts along as our alarm system. We have a Dacshund and a Rat Terrier that stay in the house. They aren't much as attack dogs, but can hear a mouse fart at 100 yards and bark like crazy. They also bite the ankles and keep you occuppied so I can shoot you with the shotgun. The Doberman stays home and watches the house while we're gone.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

You are right on that one, which also brings wire ties to mind. those little plastic fasteners are like universal nuts and bolts (as long as you have a way to get them back off). Also a roll or tow of "rescue tape" is a great addition. Stuff does not get sticky like electrical tape but can secure things much better ... just stretch and wrap. You can even repair a radiator hose with it, or (claims the maker) make a temporary fan belt.

I was in hell mart the other day, and bought a large plastic cup full of zip ties of all different sizes. It was $4 or 5 for about 500, if I remember correctly. I don't necessarily have a bag, I have a closet. Eventually (my next day off) it will be organized, consolidated, and made ready to go. I thought the zip ties would be good, as they can do so much, there are about seven or eight different sizes, and taken out of the cup they came in, they wouldn't take up very much space.