Loaded weapon encounter with the law - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loaded weapon encounter with the law

ecocks...the one thing about the Natchez Trace is the roadway is the national park. There are places to pull off and see certain historical sights and those are part of the park as well. The Trace starts off Highway 100 just southwest of Nashville and goes to Natchez, MS. There are several places to get on and off the trace between start and finish.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

I know about the Trace

I was raised there too. But haven't driven or riden on it in over 20 years. I seem to remember running through villages and small towns along the 400+ miles of it. My point was it would be a pain to live in that area since you effectively have no carry rights on that road. God forbid you lived just off of it and it was your only way in and out. I used to work on the naval base at Bremerton, WA and the firearm was not allowed on the premises at all so it curtailed my carry ability significantly. No place to check them even when coming or going. Couldn't risk losing my position so couldn't even consider the no tell option.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

What abt those who drive SUVs? Does that mean that you will have to bury your "unloaded" "Dismantled" gun in the spare tire well (eventhough it is in the passenger compartment)? Tape the magazine up under the hood so as to comply with keeping ammo and gun separate?...I guess some govt clerks stay up all night thinking of these rules....
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

I just sent an e-mail back asking where glove boxes and center consoles stand on the not concealed in the passenger department. As well as saddlebags when it comes to motorcycles.

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us

There may be hope yet

Apparently a large part of the U.S. Senate is not happy about the National Park and carry situation.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/15025450/detail.html

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us

Here is the last question I sent and response I got.

--

Thank you for the information sir. If I may, I would like to clarify a couple things.

If I am on my motorcycle, would having an unloaded handgun, in a locked box in one saddlebag and then having the ammunition in another saddlebag on the other side be acceptable?

Also when you mention that if the weapon is in the passenger area of a vehicle it must not be concealed...Does that mean it can not be in glove box or center console?

Again thank you for your help. I just want to make sure I am within the law when I visit/travel the parkway.

Respectfully,
    Steve Fall

--

In regards to a motorcycle - having the weapon in one bag and the ammo in the other is fine. The concealed weapon mainly deals with under the seat or hiding it else where in the car. If you are stopped, and carrying the weapon, just tell the Ranger where it is and you have contacted us about the proper carrying methods. If the weapon in a glove box but there is no ammunition or it is in the trunk you are showing reasonable carrying methods. If the weapon is in the glove box and the ammo in a center console, this shows you can obtain both quickly and you might be issued a ticket. I carry a weapon in a soft side zipper case and it is in the trunk, that way I am covered and it is not see if I get out of car.

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us

8. I was planning a trip to a national park when I return to the US later this year. I think I may stick with the state parks and national forests they have more sensible regulations regarding this matter. I am very interested in how this proposal from those congressmen and senators will be received by the secetary of the interior.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

more information

hey, guys. I found this on the NRA/ILA website:

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearm...0and%20Forests

USE AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS IN NATIONAL PARKS AND FORESTS

Code of Federal Regulations Title 36 "Parks, Forests, Public Property"

NOTE: The National Parks are administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The National Forests are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Generally, firearms are prohibited in National Parks but permitted in National Forests.

Firearms being transported through a Park must be rendered "inoperable": unloaded, cased, broken down (if possible) and out of sight. The ranger or gate attendant must be notified of the presence of firearms upon entering the Park.

Firearms and hunting are permitted in National Forests in accordance with state law. Firearms are prohibited in any National Forest designated a game refuge or wildlife preserve except where authorized by the Forest Service.Violation of state firearms laws is prohibited in all National Forests.

Regulations concerning firearms in National parks and Forests may be found in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Notes

1 The Congress finds that: (1) the rights of citizens: (A) to keep and bear arms under the second amendment to the United States Constitution; (B) to security against illegal and unreasonable searches and seizures under the Fourth Amendment; (C) against uncompensated taking of property, double jeopardy, and assurance of due process of law under the Fifth Amendment ; and (D) against unconstitutional exercise of authority under the Ninth and Tenth Amendments; require additional legislation to correct existing firearms statutes and enforcement policies; and (2) additional legislation is required to reaffirm the intent of the Congress, as expressed in section 101 of the Gun Control Act of 1968, that 'it is not the purpose of this title (18 USCS Sec.Sec.921 et seq.) to place any undue or unnecessary Federal restrictions or burdens on law-abiding citizens with respect to the acquisition, possession, or use of firearms appropriate to the purpose of hunting, trapshooting, target shooting, personal protection, or any other lawful activity, and that this title is not intended to discourage or eliminate the private ownership or use of firearms by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes'.

2 SUNSET:Effective 15 years

3 18 U.S.C.A. Sec.923 NOTE, STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION; EVIDENCE: (1) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.:Nothing in the amendments made by this section shall be construed: (A) as creating a cause of action against any firearms dealer or any other person for any civil liability;or (B) as establishing any standard of care. (2) EVIDENCE.:Notwithstanding any other provision of law, evidence regarding compliance or noncompliance with the amendments made by this section shall not be admissible as evidence in any proceeding of any court, agency, board, or other entity.

I read all that, but I don't know what it means. Can we now carry in National Parks?
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Title 36 information

http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi...ction=retrieve

[Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 36, Volume 3, Parts 300 to end]
    [Revised as of July 1, 1998]
    From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
    [CITE: 36CFR327.13]

[Page 10]

TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

CHAPTER III--CORPS OF ENGINEERS, DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY

PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS--Table of Contents

Sec. 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile
    firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, explosives or explosive
    devices of any kind, including fireworks, is prohibited unless:
    (a) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement
    officer;
    (b) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under Sec. 327.8,
    with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting
    and fishing sites;
    (c) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (d) Written permission has been received from the District Engineer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast