The Closest I Ever Came To Shooting Someone Was ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Closest I Ever Came To Shooting Someone Was ...

The Closest I Ever Came To Shooting Someone Was ...

About 7 years back, wife and I were living in PA. Heard a knock on the sliding glass door of our apartment, some time after midnight. The blinds were closed so I couldn't see who or how many.

Ran to get my pistola and the phone. Wife saw me getting the gun, and followed me in hot pursuit. We stopped in the boy's room to find him comfortably and soundly sleeping.

Verbal challenge, they wanted to use the phone, said no, called 9-1-1, local PD responded, very helpful dispatcher on the phone, officers arrived.

I stuck Old Blue back in my waistpouch BEFORE opening the blinds, turning on the outside light, and going out to chat with the Lower Paxton Township officers. They were very nice and there were a couple really humorous moments in the conversation.

I related what happened, and I saw other officers talking with someone. The officer looked back at the person the officers were talking with and said, unable to hide a knowing smile, "She's known to us." I had to snicker, and he repeated trying not to laugh himself "She's known to us."

I said to the officer, "Someone knocks on my door after midnight, and I'm thinking drugs or prostitution and they have the wrong address." The officer was unable to hold back another knowing smile as he bit on his lip saying, "Sir, you might not be wrong." Cops will tell you a lot of information, if you listen and read between the lines.

I remember after getting my gun I checked the windows, in the master bedroom as well as my son's room, to ensure there was no broken glass or other signs of forced entry. Also remember that my daily carry Glock 23 was there next to my Smith .357 snubbie in the top dresser drawer, but I grabbed the snubbie rather than the Glock. Not really sure why I did that. Everything else I did was pretty clear and deliberate.

Not really sure if the girl was tricking, using, both, or something worse. I do remember in our "conversation" through the closed, locked door when I told her she could not use the phone, she answered, "OK, we're sorry." That "we" made me think there and then this was something more than a case of a mistaken address. I told the dispatcher this and I told the officer on scene.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    About 7 years back, wife and I were living in PA. Heard a knock on the sliding glass door of our apartment, some time after midnight. The blinds were closed so I couldn't see who or how many.

Ran to get my pistola and the phone. Wife saw me getting the gun, and followed me in hot pursuit. We stopped in the boy's room to find him comfortably and soundly sleeping.

Verbal challenge, they wanted to use the phone, said no, called 9-1-1, local PD responded, very helpful dispatcher on the phone, officers arrived.

I stuck Old Blue back in my waistpouch BEFORE opening the blinds, turning on the outside light, and going out to chat with the Lower Paxton Township officers. They were very nice and there were a couple really humorous moments in the conversation.

I related what happened, and I saw other officers talking with someone. The officer looked back at the person the officers were talking with and said, unable to hide a knowing smile, "She's known to us." I had to snicker, and he repeated trying not to laugh himself "She's known to us."

I said to the officer, "Someone knocks on my door after midnight, and I'm thinking drugs or prostitution and they have the wrong address." The officer was unable to hold back another knowing smile as he bit on his lip saying, "Sir, you might not be wrong." Cops will tell you a lot of information, if you listen and read between the lines.

I remember after getting my gun I checked the windows, in the master bedroom as well as my son's room, to ensure there was no broken glass or other signs of forced entry. Also remember that my daily carry Glock 23 was there next to my Smith .357 snubbie in the top dresser drawer, but I grabbed the snubbie rather than the Glock. Not really sure why I did that. Everything else I did was pretty clear and deliberate.

Not really sure if the girl was tricking, using, both, or something worse. I do remember in our "conversation" through the closed, locked door when I told her she could not use the phone, she answered, "OK, we're sorry." That "we" made me think there and then this was something more than a case of a mistaken address. I told the dispatcher this and I told the officer on scene.
    Glad everything turned out alright and the two of you are okay. That's what counts!

Well, at least you didn't put 6-8 through the door first. And found out you just whacked a lost Girl Scout with her cookies.
    -= Piece Corps =-

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    Well, at least you didn't put 6-8 through the door first. And found out you just whacked a lost Girl Scout with her cookies.
    A lost Girl Scout knocking some time after midnight? I don't think that's a likely scenario, but who knows?

Good study in Shoot-Don't Shoot. Glad to hear all was safe and every went about their business. Over the years I have experienced a couple of these. I thank God that I had the common sense to not shoot the "Girl Scout" at 2 in the morning! Believe it or not people do have problems in the middle of the night. Sometimes they are even sober.

I am confused and read the story about three times...did you ever get to know how the police "knows" her? Did you ever get to find out why she wanted to use your phone? There is something there you did not tell us and the story is a little bit confusing to me.

I am glad that you and yours are safe and nothing untowards really happened but just a knock on your door. It could have been worst...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

"The Closest I Ever Came To Shooting Someone" was.... shooting someone!!!
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    did you ever get to know how the police "knows" her?
    Nope, at least not officially. However, by what the officer told me, I'm reasonably certain she was tricking, using, or both. By what she said, there's a chance she had a buddy to do a strong arm robbery, or worse, hiding somewhere who took off running when the cops came.

Did you ever get to find out why she wanted to use your phone?
    Nope, and I never thought the request to use the phone was legit.

There is something there you did not tell us and the story is a little bit confusing to me.
    Not really sure what it could be.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    LOL ..... I got that you were making a joke !

11. About a dozen years ago, I was working the night shift and had just gotten off work about 2am. I went to a local super market to grab a few groceries (bear in mind, the clock said 2am but for me it was the same as a normal 9 to 5er's 5:30pm grocery run on the way home). There was a guy on a beer run (I lived in a college town) in line behind me. I paid for my groceries, went out to the car, put the grocery bags in the back seat and got in to drive away. As I was getting my keys out of my coat pocket, I heard someone try to open my locked passenger side front door. When I looked to see what was going on, all I was was a man's torso through the window as he tried again to open the door. The 1911 came out of the center console and leveled out even with his head just as he squatted down slightly to look into the car. Using the power windows, I cracked the window slightly and asked him if I could help him. He said he had the wrong car and he was sorry for startling me. Then he turned and walked to the next parking aisle behind me and got into a car that was of a similar make and the same color as mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast