Using FMJ for breaking in new handgun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using FMJ for breaking in new handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Are there usually any restrictions at target ranges on what ammo you can and can't shoot and do they usually provide the paper targets in their price per hour or do i have to buy them there?
    Every range has their own sets of rules. Some only allow their ammo to be shot, others allow you to bring your own ammo, but have restrictions on the type of ammo such as "no steel core", or must be "non-toxic clean ammo", etc.

Same goes for targets and range fees. Some places allow you to bring your own targets, other ranges require you to purchase targets. Range fees vary. There are ranges that have a flat fee, others that charge by the hour (most common in my experience), and still others that allow you to shoot at no charge if you're renting their guns and buying their ammo.

Best thing to do is go range scouting ahead of time. Leave your guns and ammo at home, take your eye and ear protection and ask if you can check out the range. Be sure that the ventilation system is good. That's one of my biggest beefs with some indoor ranges. Bad ventilation = bad shooting session. Check to see that the lanes and lighting are adequate for what you want to do. Find out what their range rules are and have any questions answered prior to doing any live fire. If they offer range memberships, I strongly recommend checking out the range at different times and different days that you would like to shoot prior to paying for a membership. Most times the membership fee is either "non-refundable" or "refundable" for "store credit only". If you pay for a year of membership and suddenly can't shoot for whatever reason (got deployed in my case), you basically suck rocks if they have a "no refund" policy. Even the "store credit" policy could suck in a sense that one of the local ranges prices everything approx. 15% over the other local gun shops. My "store credit" wouldn't go very far and in essence is basically a huge kick in groin as I'm still losing a substantial amount of money by using it.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Well i have only 1 local range around here, and its fairly popular, unless i drive 35 miles to Target World.

I have been around their shop, but not the range, so i hope its going to be a good one, i would hate to have to drive 35 miles instead of 1 to shoot my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Well i have only 1 local range around here, and its fairly popular, unless i drive 35 miles to Target World.

I have been around their shop, but not the range, so i hope its going to be a good one, i would hate to have to drive 35 miles instead of 1 to shoot my gun.
    Take a trip down to the range and have a chat with the manager or owner. Ask if they can show you around and find out what their rules and policies are. If they treat you bad when you're just checking them out, then imagine what could happen if for some reason you make a mistake while on the range.

If you get an opportunity, check out the other range as well. It's good to have a back up place to shoot in the event that something happens to your first choice.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    ...Temperature changes, humidity and sweat can cause problems...
    +1

Powder is incredibly absorbent and even though the cartridges seem to be airtight, moisture can and will still find a way in, and it doesn't take much to foul up the powder.

Think of soaking bullets in water being akin to soaking your gun in the mud. CC'ing with the same bullets after a couple months is like, well, CC'ing with the same gun and not cleaning it for a couple months. You wouldn't let your carry gun go for more than a month or so without cleaning it (at least I hope not) even if you haven't fired it that long. Kinda the same idea with cycling your defensive ammo.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Will have to check out this range close to me first and will see how they are there.

I did check out quite a bit of guns while in the shop and he seemed pretty friendly. Hope all of the guys working there are as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    +1

Powder is incredibly absorbent and even though the cartridges seem to be airtight, moisture can and will still find a way in, and it doesn't take much to foul up the powder.

Think of soaking bullets in water being akin to soaking your gun in the mud. CC'ing with the same bullets after a couple months is like, well, CC'ing with the same gun and not cleaning it for a couple months. You wouldn't let your carry gun go for more than a month or so without cleaning it (at least I hope not) even if you haven't fired it that long. Kinda the same idea with cycling your defensive ammo.
    It is a personal choice. I have .243 rounds inside my hunting vest, that it took me 20 years to go though. They always went BOOM. Of course the hunting vest was only in the woods for 3 weeks a year. The rest of the time in a garment bag, in the closet. I never thought of cycling the rounds. I have 30-06 rounds from WWII era, that I am very sure will go BOOM. Again, its a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    It is a personal choice. I have .243 rounds inside my hunting vest, that it took me 20 years to go though. They always went BOOM. Of course the hunting vest was only in the woods for 3 weeks a year. The rest of the time in a garment bag, in the closet. I never thought of cycling the rounds. I have 30-06 rounds from WWII era, that I am very sure will go BOOM. Again, its a personal choice.
    Unless you're hunting predatory mammals, I'd say that there's a big difference between hunting ammo and SD ammo. I would not want to put my personal safety in jeopardy because I had a magazine of faulty ammunition. If I miss a shot at a trophy animal because of ammo, it's likely I may get another chance in the future. There are no "re-takes" when it comes to a "life of death" situation.

gf

Hey guys, is there any truth in the story that if you shoot factory non-lead tip rounds through your gun after shooting, say lead round nose, you will clean the lead out? Thanks.......

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Hey guys, is there any truth in the story that if you shoot factory non-lead tip rounds through your gun after shooting, say lead round nose, you will clean the lead out? Thanks.......
    In some cases yes, to an extent. It's a lot safer to use the proper cleaning solvent to properly remove the lead residue.

gf

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    ...Of course the hunting vest was only in the woods for 3 weeks a year...
    And this is the very difference between your carry ammo and your target ammo. Yes, ammo can last a lifetime if stored properly. Even a garment bag in your closet is a low humidity environment compared to being tight against your body. Your body is constantly releasing moisture (albeit a seemingly small amount) even if you are not visibly sweating. Daily carry, especially concealed carry where your firearm and ammo are held close to your body under cover garments, routinely subjects your ammo to an environment that is more humid than your typical household environment.

Yes, just like anything else in our lives, it is a personal choice. But given that most people choose to store their surplus ammo in a humidity controlled environment, it seems a little silly to overlook or dismiss the affects that CCing may have on the ammo that you are trusting your life with.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast