Using FMJ for breaking in new handgun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Using FMJ for breaking in new handgun?

  1. #31
    Anyone know anything about Winchester Supreme Elite hollow points? My local sporting goods store sells them a box of 20 for $24.99

    I was told Speer Gold Dots were the ones to get, but these are easier to get ahold of at my local store, anyone know?

  2.   
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Then again i haven't heard the best things from Federal ammo to begin with. Maybe its just their ammo they want you to switch out every 90 days.
    What have you heard? Everytime I load a federal round in the chamber, it goes BOOM when i squeze the trigger. It is as good as anything else outthere. I used to reload, but with the current ammo crisis, I can't find primers.

  4. Heck, the only factory ammo I've ever shot that wasn't completely reliable was CCI Blazer 357 Magnum. Ignition was erratic and the powder charges must have been measured by a drunk blind chimpanzee because I was got about a 100fps spread over the 5 rounds I chronographed. A 10 year old batch of Corbon 200gr +P+ .45ACP chronographed out with a standard deviation of about 40fps (that's about normal for commercially loaded ammunition). Besides, the Blazers are aluminum cased and Berdan primed so they aren't reloadable and, therefore, a waste of money for me. Even the old Zero remanufacturered ammo was at least a decent source for mixed brass and was far more reliable.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Read the label and see if it says anything about removing lead fouling. If you never fire lead out of your Glock, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

    You'll see the silver/gray streaks of lead going down the rifling in the barrel if there is any lead residue.



    gf

    From the side of the bottle on my M-Pro 7 liquid solvent....

    "Removes carbon, lead , and most copper fouling" so i think its good there. I hope it is, its about the most expensive stuff out there.

    As well as being odorless, nontoxic, biodegradable, and non-flammable.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    What have you heard? Everytime I load a federal round in the chamber, it goes BOOM when i squeze the trigger. It is as good as anything else outthere. I used to reload, but with the current ammo crisis, I can't find primers.
    I shoot a 40 cal, and Cabela's has tons of small pistol primers in stock. CCI and Federal right on the shelf.

    Have no idea if you have a Cabela's near you, but you can order off their website... but obviously, there will be hazmat charges for ammo/primers being shipped.... but they do have them.

    I buy 400 primers at a time in the last 60 days and they had them stacked up by the case.

    Just another option... good luck.
    Springfield XDM 40cal / Crossbreed "QuikClip" Holster (IWB) / High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster (OWB) / Galco Single Mag Carrier (Horizontal) / Gould & Goodrich Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer) / Looper Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)

  7. i shot my new glock 30 the other day so i could practice and then qualify this pistol for my ccw. i used 230gr fmj from winchester and it fed well and grouped well. i also used some handloads that i made my self when shooting combat matches and found that my handloads jammed and every 2-3 shot. i plan on "lapping" my glock barrel with more fmj rounds and using my handloads after the "lapping" process is over......probably after 500 rounds or more. seems like my glock prefers jacketed bullets as opposed to lead swc.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    I shoot a 40 cal, and Cabela's has tons of small pistol primers in stock. CCI and Federal right on the shelf.

    Have no idea if you have a Cabela's near you, but you can order off their website... but obviously, there will be hazmat charges for ammo/primers being shipped.... but they do have them.

    I buy 400 primers at a time in the last 60 days and they had them stacked up by the case.

    Just another option... good luck.
    I was there a week ago. I never thought to ask. I fired off an email to my local store, and I will call cabela's today. Thanks for the heads up.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    From the side of the bottle on my M-Pro 7 liquid solvent....
    As well as being odorless, nontoxic, biodegradable, and non-flammable.
    How can it possibly work, then?

    What's that homemade stuff that is supposed to be so good - Ed'S Red - or something like that? Anybody have the recipie?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by lawabiding_citizen View Post
    i shot my new glock 30 the other day so i could practice and then qualify this pistol for my ccw. i used 230gr fmj from winchester and it fed well and grouped well. i also used some handloads that i made my self when shooting combat matches and found that my handloads jammed and every 2-3 shot. i plan on "lapping" my glock barrel with more fmj rounds and using my handloads after the "lapping" process is over......probably after 500 rounds or more. seems like my glock prefers jacketed bullets as opposed to lead swc.
    I've always heard you are not supposed to shoot reloads in Glocks either...something about the chamber being unsupported, whatever that means?

    So far I have heard no reloads in Glocks and no lead bullets in Glocks...

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I've always heard you are not supposed to shoot reloads in Glocks either...something about the chamber being unsupported, whatever that means?

    So far I have heard no reloads in Glocks and no lead bullets in Glocks...

    Reloads are a "gray area". The problem would mainly be with using the brass too many times as well as using bullets with exposed lead. The lead will foul the rifling and the over used brass will have weakened case walls. This could result in the case rupturing in the chamber. I've seen this happen a few times, however never witnessed any injuries due to a ruptured case.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter
    By RochPersDef in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM
  2. NJ Court Denies Handgun Purchases?
    By melloyello in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 11:55 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
  4. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM
  5. Texas caught off guard as more seek handgun permits
    By HK4U in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 08:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast