Travel by Train
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel by Train

Travel by Train

I need to be in Baltimore next week for family business. Hate flying (all the BS) and was thinking to drive. However, now thinking about train travel since I can leave here in the Outback and arrive in Balto, in about the same time it's takes me to drive and for the same expense. But, have never taken the train before.

Any opinions?

How about CC? I've got ND and UTAH permits so I'm good for all the states there except WI, Ill, and of course, MD. But, I obviously don't know anything about train travel. Are there security checkpoints? Is baggage screened?

Any help is appreciated.

check the amtrack site. N O G U N S O N T H E T R A I N.

Took me awhile scounging around the site to find a statement on firearms. True enough, currently can't carry or transport firearms. Interesting to note, however, that they cite a law passed on Dec. 16, 2009 which instructs Amtrak to put provisions in place to transport firearms in checked baggage.

I'm probably driving.

I used Amtrack a few times, years ago. A few times it was ok. There were a few trips I made that I hated every aspect of, too. I would definately reccomend a laptop or a portable dvd player with noise cancelling headphones. Ear buds will just piss you off. There's some ambient noise, and depending on your seat, noise from other passengers. It was the other passengers who made my bad experiences what they were.

Overall, it's what you make of it. If it were me, and the time and cost issues were the same, I would drive. I like being able to go and stop at will, and I don't charge myself if my travel plans change.

Traveling by train is a big adventure. It's the people that make it fun.
    If I bring my shootin iron, I would just have it unloaded in my carry on bag. If traveling through firearm friendly states. I wonder, if it is any kind of criminal offense to have a firearm on the train?
    If they find you are "heavy", besides leaving you at the closed train depot in Keocuk Iowa at 2am, what else can AMTRAK do?

The Wicker Amendment was passed 68-30. H.R.3288 became Public Law 111-117 on December 16, 2009.

NRA-ILA :: NRA-Backed Wicker Amendment Adopted By Senate
    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    The Wicker Amendment was passed 68-30. H.R.3288 became Public Law 111-117 on December 16, 2009.

NRA-ILA :: NRA-Backed Wicker Amendment Adopted By Senate
    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    Firearms in Checked Baggage
    The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the billís enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrakís current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Firearms in Checked Baggage
    The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the billís enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrakís current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

There is always don't ask don't tell.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    There is always don't ask don't tell.
    I'm down with that credo, MJ, but only in an environment I am familiar with. Because I've not traveled by train before, won't work for me here.

I'll have to use a mode of transport in which I can carry or at least transport my sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I'm down with that credo, MJ, but only in an environment I am familiar with. Because I've not traveled by train before, won't work for me here.

I'll have to use a mode of transport in which I can carry or at least transport my sidearm.
    I've only ridden Amtrak for extremely short trips lately about 20 minute trips between Carpenteria and Santa Barbara. There is no personal nor bagage check at either end that I could see. I saw another discussion of it on some forum could even have been here and no one had seen any checks. I didn't even see any signs. But don't rely on that your experience may vary.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast