For those with children - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those with children

Self-defense is the key but then be ready for a fight because the school will treat both of them the same. What is on your side is the fact that he's been attacked twice so you can show a history. It is exactly this type of bullying that has led to tragic events in the past. Let your son defend himself and give him the tools and training to ensure he succeeds.

3. I would certainly get her into a woman's self-defense class. However until she is street smart and capable, if I had a 14 year old daughter, I would also tell her------you don't walk home from school alone. I will pick you up or your mother will pick you up. You will have a cell phone on you at all times, etc. The real tragedy is that I don't think young women are safe anywhere on the street alone. There is just too much evil in the world now.

My son was beaten while riding on the school van in California. The driver drove on rather than stopping to break it up, and told me later that it wasn't his job to stop a fight! The only thing done to the other boy was to move him to another van after suspending him for a week. I haven't thought of that incident in years. It's an awful memory of my child in physical and mental pain. Still hurts! When we moved to Nevada I was called for jury duty. The case concerned a school bus beating. I was honestly not sure that I could have been impartial. Needless to say I was dismissed as a juror.

5. To Online Dad, I know my troubles are nothing to your Daughter's attack, Me, Myself, for fear of fights or other trouble, Iv'e been taking my son to school and back, I don't know if you live in a city or the country, but I guess these days it dosen't really matter. maby if you drove her to and from school if possible you and her could have peace of mind just a little bit. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. God love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by samriley View Post
    To Online Dad, I know my troubles are nothing to your Daughter's attack, Me, Myself, for fear of fights or other trouble, Iv'e been taking my son to school and back, I don't know if you live in a city or the country, but I guess these days it dosen't really matter. maby if you drove her to and from school if possible you and her could have peace of mind just a little bit. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. God love you all.
    Thanks Samriley, luckily though it wasnt my daughter that was attacked, it was one of her friends. We do live out in the country, and the school is in a very small town (maybe 2000 people?) So something like this happening is pretty rare. But, it was an eye opening experience. I take the time to carry concealed in order to protect myself and my family, but what about the times when I cannot be there?

I have taken the time to talk to my daughter about the best ways of preventing this kind of thing from happening to her. From staying in a group (strength in numbers). Improvised weapons (pens/pencils to the soft parts). I did call and talk to the school about their no pepper spray policy, and although I wont let her carry the spray with her to school, I have told her that she can carry it anywhere else she goes (which is legal).

Signing her (and the rest of our family) up for self defense lessons is also a great idea. However, where we live the closest place is over an hour away, and not logistacally possible at this time. I think I will bring up to the school admin that self defense should be something that is taught in school. Tie it in with the phys ed class, or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12