For those with children
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with children

For those with children

So here is a little background story

The other day my oldest daughter (14y/o) came home from school crying. One of her friends from school was walking home from school (just a few blocks), she was attacked from behind and alledgedly raped, and then left unconscious. She was found and taken to the hospital. This is all still new, so there are not many details about what happened, but for my question the details are not really important.

What I would like to know is what you do to give your child the ability to protect themselves. Even with proper training and skill, they cannot take guns to school. I'm not sure about the rules about pepper spray, or with knives being aloud, but a simple whistle would probably not be effective enough.

My current thought is start teaching my children the meaning of true concealment, and give them both a blade and the pepper spray. And, instill that they can only be used, or brought out when they absolutely need to.

Thoughts and opinions please...

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    So here is a little background story

The other day my oldest daughter (14y/o) came home from school crying. One of her friends from school was walking home from school (just a few blocks), she was attacked from behind and alledgedly raped, and then left unconscious. She was found and taken to the hospital. This is all still new, so there are not many details about what happened, but for my question the details are not really important.

What I would like to know is what you do to give your child the ability to protect themselves. Even with proper training and skill, they cannot take guns to school. I'm not sure about the rules about pepper spray, or with knives being aloud, but a simple whistle would probably not be effective enough.

My current thought is start teaching my children the meaning of true concealment, and give them both a blade and the pepper spray. And, instill that they can only be used, or brought out when they absolutely need to.

Thoughts and opinions please...

Rather than risk having your child arrested and/or expelled from school (either of which could ruin their life), why not educate the child on improvised defensive devices. If you lay out the items your daughter takes to school on a daily basis, I'm sure you'll be able to find at least a couple of things that can be used for defensive purposes. A simple ball point pen can be used as a stabbing/jabbing implament. A book bag full of school books can be used to fend off an attack. I've used a broken CD ROM as a slashing tool.

There are many things that are perfectly legal to possess on school grounds that your children can use to defend themselves should the need arise.

In most cases, it's best to operate "legally". Breaking the rules could turn out bad and end up hurting in the future.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I agree with GF. It's one of those things that could also come back on you. After the fact, when your child is alive and well because she used whatever defensive tool you gave her, it doesn't matter as much the consequences. What would worry me is the fact that she is young. Something could come up like she tells one of her friends, and word travels fast. Before you know it, you have to go to the school to pick her up for possesing a weapon, and everything is downhill from there. Not only for her, but possibly for you. I read your post, and started thinking. I called my mom, who is a school system administrator in Georgia, and she said that here, you could be charged with endangering your child, depending on her age and what type of weapon she has. That's a stretch, I know, but the posibility is there. Not to mention the outcome of the school's actions against your daughter.

Check into alternatives. Enroll her in a self defense class. Make sure it's something ongoing, not a one or two day thing. Teach her about situational awareness. Arrange for transportation to and from school. Be it a bus or someone else's parents, and have that person wait in front of the house until she is inside if she is coming home alone.

Improvising weapons is not a bad idea. Make sure that it's something that is easy to access, though. Fumbling around in a bookbag won't be an option, but as GF said, slinging it definately is.

Whichever way you go, good luck. My daughter is 18, and I get sick at the thought of something like that happening to her.

roll up a magazine...now strike something hard with the END of it...not swung like a club, but jabbed like knife. Now imagine that hitting someone in the face.

Perfectly legal and very effective. I've showed that one to my own daughters.

Hi All,

Lurked here for a while, this is my first post. This is a topic that I consider gravely serious.

My son and daughter are adults now but by the time the oldest started school they both knew : Keep your distance and get away - THUMBS IN EYES WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT and WHERE TO KICK WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT!

Above all - DROP THE DAMNED BOOKBAG and RUN!

Kids tend to try to hang on to their bookbag. This slows them down and provides a grabbing point for the [email protected][email protected]&d that deserves to be shot many times with a small caliber weapon.

An unencumbered kid can generally outmaneuver an adult and get away. Try to catch your ten year old and find out if that is true.

Teach your child to DROP the DAMNED BOOKBAG! There is nothing in there that cannot be either retrieved later or replaced.

This is what Friend Wife and I taught our kids and while it doesn't eliminate all concern (what ever would?) we were at least confident that our son and daughter were better prepared than most kids.

Regards All - Al

I was gonna take a break from posting, a bit, just cause I'm a little tired of "internet tough guys" but, as a Dad, couldn't stay away from this one.

Lots of good advice, so far. I'll add this (and someone has already mentioned self-defense courses): if you can get the kids interested, consider enrolling them in a GOOD martial arts school. You'll have to do some research, because there are lots of black-belt mills around (pay your money, get your belt) but having worked quite a bit over the years with kids in martial arts, I've found it to be great for personal self-defense, discipline, and attitude.

I've seen great growth in kid's temperments as they've progressed from belt to belt. It shouldn't be all kicking and punching, either. In our school, we also teach respect, emotional control, and situational awareness. Most parents are amazed at the change in the kids (and swell with pride as little Susie snaps that board with a hand or foot!).

Good Luck. You sound like a good Dad.

Having grown up with all brothers,, When things got rough between us has they did at times I found grabbing a finger other than the pinkie or thumb,bend it back wards has hard has you can! That will drop them to their knees!
    Has an Adult this was something I learned on TV. Try to grab the groin area and twist hard, if that possible with the other hand!

I don't know...I think grabbing the pinky and bending it backwards is a very simple technique that has dramatic results. I've heard many people suggest the grab, twist, and pull method for the groin but I've also talking to some people that have had real world contact with perpetrators of such crimes and the first place the BGs protect is the groin.

Pinky, or any finger besides the thumb, eyes if close enough, and a hard jab or punch to the throat. It is hard to continue an attack if you can't breathe. Trying to punch them or flail at their body is a waste of time.

10. I have a 15 yr old in High School, Last year he was attacked at school by another boy from behind. A few days went by and I didn't hear a thing from the school about the incident. Upon calling the school, and several trips to talk to the principal, I was assured that everything was under control. Then I heard one of my sons talking, and learned that the attacker was still at school EVERY day, not suspended, or expelled. When I learned this, I went to the school board and asked just what was going to be done. The School Board informed me that they had heard nothing on the incident. I had brought along pictures of my son's face, not very pretty. They told me that this sort of thing should have been reported to them, and assault charges should have been filed. After my visit to the school board the school called that very evening telling me charges were filed THAT day. To shorten this story, the attacker got community service and that was it. Well her I am school year 2009-2010, last week my son was attacked again, from behind,Now here where I live the county has I believe the title is Resources Officer, A County Deputy assigned to each High School. The first question he asked my son was did you pick up ANYTHING and hit the other boy with, the answer was no. Once again Iv'e been assured THIS boy will be charged with assault. Now Iv'e always told my son NOT to start a fight, and to only hold them off at school untill the teachers or Resources Officer get's there. But after this, I'm telling my son to fight back, use whatever is available, and kick the**** outta them. Cops in the school are no different than cops on the street. There not there to protect your kids, just to clean up the mess. Blast me if you want, but Me and my son have had enough. If there is a next time, Iv'e told him if they attack you, defend yourself, fight back. The county is supposed to maintain a SAFE LEARNING environment. But It seems that that is impossible to do. Im not faulting the Resources Officer, He simply could never have forseen this. But I'm tired of playing runaround with this High school. and some of the comments iv'e read on this My Space has educated me about just what kind of people these Honor students are. I know my son is NO ANGEL, But from now on he will defend himself.

Samriley- I agree with you on several points you made. My daughter goes to a school in the worst part of town. This is a known crime area, but the school building has been there for years. I had to go over there a few weeks ago for something. It was in the middle of the day, school was in session. I walked in the front door, and had to go a long way down three different hallways to get to the main office. On my way, I passed the school resource officer. He was sitting in his office, feet propped up on the desk, watching a movie. This was between classes, too. Don't let your son depend on someone to prevent this from happening. You can't wait for someone to show up to stop a surprise attack. Teach him how to fight back. He needs to learn some defensive moves, and maybe take some boxing lessons or martial arts. Or both. If the school is being so adamant about protecting your kid that they have to get pressure from their authorities to do their jobs, then step in and do it yourself. I know first hand what it's like growing up and getting the hell beaten out of you all the time. It's not good for self esteem, or for normal growth as a teenager.

As mentioned in another thread, a news team talking about schools ignoring violence will probably go a long way...

Kids need to know how to protect themselves, whether it's running away, traveling in groups, fighting back, or whatever the situation calls for. Self Defense, Martial Arts, Boxing, etc... are all good things for them, in so many ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast