A Sober Reminder!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Sober Reminder!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Reports like this one always make me wonder if they are covering up a suicide.
    I'd not considered that. It would make sense.

3. On duty officer gets shot, its not worth lying on official reports/documents to cover up a public homicide, too many people involve to officially lie/alter reports, then again anything possible, i just doubt it.

Says he left behind a fiance. I wouldn't think suicide would be on the mind of a 31 year old who is engaged to be married... but that's just me... If he were going through an ugly divorce maybe...

This may seem a bit odd, but we handle our weapons like this;

1. End of shooting string weapon is unloaded and double checked (me and a un-loading table person).
    2. Weapon is either holstered or place in the gun cart.
    3. Weapon is returned to vehicle for transportation. Checked again before putting in vehicel.
    4. At home from vehicle to gun safe, checked again when removing from vehicle.
    5. Placed in safe, checked again.
    6. Removed from safe to go to range, checked again.
    7. Arrive at range, weapons checked and actions opened.
    8. Shoot weapons and start over with # 1 above.

I know it sounds like a lot of checking, but both my wife and I handle all the guns and it's out stead fast rule that no matter what, the gun is checked EVERY TIME we touch it. This is even if I check it and hand it to her. SHE CHECKS IT AGAIN.

Works for us. We often fire 1,000 + rounds a month and need to really keep on top of safety.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Number one is of utmost importance. My guns are always loaded. I know that and my wife knows that. At least the ones we keep ready for self defence.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I'm always amazed how poorly trained a lot of LEO's are and how bad a shot many of them are at the range. My wife's Beretta has a magazine safety - take the mag out of the firearm and it won't fire. I know a lot of people don't like that but this seems to be the most common way that people (especially kids playing with guns) are accidentally killed with guns these days. For some reason they think they can drop the mag, point the gun and pull the trigger (or accidentally do so) and it won't fire. So, what are the pros and cons of this type of safety? Some firearms have the chamber loaded indicator but kids (untrained by their irresponsible parents) are not going to know what that is.
    I detest European features such as Magazine Safeties and Mag releases on the rear of the frame. I tolerate it with my MKII ruger.

IMHO, I believe that magazine safties have no place on a gun. When not on my body or within my control, my firearms are locked in a safe. A magazine safety may give added security that a child cannot fire a chambered round if the magazine is removed. So what? If someone is so careless to leave a firearm in a place where a child may find it, and also leave a round in the chamber, who is to say that this same person will be responsible to remove or hide the magazine?
    To rely on any safety to override common sense is futile.

I feel that a magazine safety is a reliability. It leaves a charged gun with a round in the chamber useless between magazine changes during a firefight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12