Gun safe humidity control - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun safe humidity control

1. 3 basic choices

First, if you have central AC or AC in your gun room, issue solved. if you keep the room nice and dry, the safe environment will follow.

Second, one of the dessicant products. CheaperthanDirt.Com sells the ones i bought - like a quart size paint can, filled with little dessicant beads. If it EVER gets too wet, a couple hours in the oven resets it and you start over. I far prefer that over the salt -type ones at West Marine, which draw a residue of extremely salty water that has t be disposed of.

Third, one of the heater types. The ones i've seen look like little curling irons, you just need to be able to feed the cord out the door or through a hole in the safe. Didn't it have holes predrilled for mounting? If you didn't use them all, maybe you could feed the cord through and splice the plug back on it.

I HATE rust on guns. My Mossberg for some reason likes to develop a little rust on the field barrel (not, surprisingly, on the slug barrel) so after wiping and mopping it, i put in the can of dessicant - and problem solved.

good luck!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

No holes for mounting anything on the safe, its 100% sealed airtight.

4. Is there a track on the side of the safe for the shelf brackets, if so just use some picture hanging wire and wire the rod there. That is how I did mine. If no track , get some eye bolts a little larger than the rod you purchase and screw them under one of the shelves and then slide the rod through those for mounting.If there is a will there is a way, sure you can figure something out!

Quote Originally Posted by pmb61 View Post
    Is there a track on the side of the safe for the shelf brackets, if so just use some picture hanging wire and wire the rod there. That is how I did mine. If no track , get some eye bolts a little larger than the rod you purchase and screw them under one of the shelves and then slide the rod through those for mounting.If there is a will there is a way, sure you can figure something out!
    Where did you run the power cord?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12