Conversation with my Ex-wife about guns
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with my Ex-wife about guns

1. Conversation with my Ex-wife about guns

We have been divorced for over 2 years now. Two days ago she called me asking about what gun she should get to protect her and her family. I told her none. She felt this was a knock against her.

I explained- I have been in constant training for decades with my guns. I take firearms ownership very seriously. My gun is in the forefront of my mind always. I take owning a weapon extremely seriously because the carrying of a gun is an awesome responsibility.

My ex-wife loses ATM cards, phones, and is generally irresponsible. I told her that a gun is not a lipstick or phone. A gun is not something that lays in your purse like a pack of gum. Unless she is really serious about the ownership of such a deadly device, I felt that she would be more of a liability to my kids.

I also do not think that she has the mindset to think through the possibility of really having to use the gun, thus having it taken from her. I told her to find another means of defense like OC or a taser/stun device.

I have known this woman for 15 years and the thought of her owning a gun scares me. Does this make me a hypocrite?

You know her best!

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    We have been divorced for over 2 years now. Two days ago she called me asking about what gun she should get to protect her and her family. I told her none. She felt this was a knock against her.

I explained- I have been in constant training for decades with my guns. I take firearms ownership very seriously. My gun is in the forefront of my mind always. I take owning a weapon extremely seriously because the carrying of a gun is an awesome responsibility.

My ex-wife loses ATM cards, phones, and is generally irresponsible. I told her that a gun is not a lipstick or phone. A gun is not something that lays in your purse like a pack of gum. Unless she is really serious about the ownership of such a deadly device, I felt that she would be more of a liability to my kids.

I also do not think that she has the mindset to think through the possibility of really having to use the gun, thus having it taken from her. I told her to find another means of defense like OC or a taser/stun device.

I have known this woman for 15 years and the thought of her owning a gun scares me. Does this make me a hypocrite?
    Keep ypur kids safe.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. While I generally believe it is the right and duty of all free men and women to be "at all times armed," I'd say a person who loses things all the time or is likely to pull a gun and not use it, should avoid firearms and perhaps other lethal weapons.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

[QUOTE=gun papa;
    I have known this woman for 15 years and the thought of her owning a gun scares me. Does this make me a hypocrite?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Nothing in this world scares me more than my EX-WIFE owning a gun.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to HELL"

Youch....good response.

I would assume that you know your ex better than anyone - with the exception of maybe her parents or current partner. She obviously still values your opinion and you gave it. Did you take her choice away from her? No. You would only be a hypocrite if you had the power by force of law to take the choice from her. So stop feeling guilty.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Some people don't need to be around firearms...period! In the Air Force I had to train people in that category. The worst was the time I had to train a bunch of reserve doctors for Gulf Storm on the M-9. Half I pulled off the line and set them back to their Squadron. You did the correct thing!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

The title ex-wife is enough of an indicator.

A good pepper spray sounds like the best bet...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I told her to find another means of defense like OC or a taser/stun device.
    OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    OC?
    Probably pepper spray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast